Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

But seriously for a tiny moment, if it were true that say tinned tomatoes, or any other basic commodity, were to double in price the Guardianista Remoaners like myself wouldn't even notice would we.

Which food shortages are these?
The ones when you go down Sainsbury's and there are empty shelves or freezers. I know it is not a major concern to you as you are abroad but I have seen the empty shelves in the fresh veg section & I love me petit pois & could not even get big fat fucking peas. :eek:

The ones when you go down Sainsbury's and there are empty shelves or freezers. I know it is not a major concern to you as you are abroad but I have seen the empty shelves in the fresh veg section & I love me petit pois & could not even get big fat fucking peas. :eek:
Both of my local big supermarkets have put little plastic signs around the place saying sorry about the gaps we are doing our best etc. Neither of them mention Brexit but then they wouldn't want to piss off 52% of their customers would they.

Gov rationing via apps in September. First cases of cannibalism reported just before Christmas. Can't anyone save us!?
It's not even 8 o'clock on a sunday morning do try to calm down. I was only saying that price rises in basic commodities won't hurt people like me.

Both of my local big supermarkets have put little plastic signs around the place saying sorry about the gaps we are doing our best etc. Neither of them mention Brexit but then they wouldn't want to piss off 52% of their customers would they.

You’ll likely find that the delivery lorries had a flat tyre that day and if you went back the following day the shelves and freezers would be full again. Either that or Brexit is causing micro-climates of food shortages specifically in areas of remoaner density, because all of the shops and supermarkets around here are stocked just fine.

You’ll likely find that the delivery lorries had a flat tyre that day and if you went back the following day the shelves and freezers would be full again. Either that or Brexit is causing micro-climates of food shortages specifically in areas of remoaner density, because all of the shops and supermarkets around here are stocked just fine.
Do you think they are all lying about the whole lorry driver thing? It is true that if there's no peas on Monday there probably will be peas on Wednesday, its just not what we're used to.
Maybe they are all making it up because they're all Remoaners who hate lorry drivers /peas.

Do you think they are all lying about the whole lorry driver thing? It is true that if there's no peas on Monday there probably will be peas on Wednesday, its just not what we're used to.
Maybe they are all making it up because they're all Remoaners who hate lorry drivers /peas.

I think any current disruption is likely to be short term, minimal, and as much covid related as Brexit fuelled. Also that it's an opportunity to train lots of British HGV drivers and pay them properly. Give me a shout about "food shortages" when shops are genuinely empty, rather than because they don't have enough chewy sweets this weekend, or Sainsbury's in Leatherhead had their Champagne delivery delayed at Dover.

I’ve seen a few empty shelves in food places but nothing that seems a trend - it’s building materials that are fucked, probably due to high demand post-lockdown rather than Brexit. Everyone I speak to in the trade think‘s it’s gone insane, prices nearly tripling on some raw materials, some stuff with lead times measured in months, can’t do jobs because you can’t get hold of what you need. No-one can believe there isn’t a big fuss about it on the news, but I guess it’s not a priority for media types more worried about pet passports etc.

We’ve postponed a big job at school due to costs because of this, kids will have to wait another year to have half decent toilets.

I’ve seen a few empty shelves in food places but nothing that seems a trend - it’s building materials that are fucked, probably due to high demand post-lockdown rather than Brexit. Everyone I speak to in the trade think‘s it’s gone insane, prices nearly tripling on some raw materials, some stuff with lead times measured in months, can’t do jobs because you can’t get hold of what you need. No-one can believe there isn’t a big fuss about it on the news, but I guess it’s not a priority for media types more worried about pet passports etc.

We’ve postponed a big job at school due to costs because of this, kids will have to wait another year to have half decent toilets.
As I understand it, there is still a backlog in building material supplies as a result of the Suez Canal being blocked.

This attempt (not you) to blame Brexit for everything, including things that would have gone largely unnoticed pre-Brexit, is getting a bit ridiculous now.

Before you assume what is and what isnt a major concern to me as I am abroad can I just remind you that I was simply just asking you a question?

It does get reported but because, as you say, it hasn't been seized on by the Guardianista crowd as being Brexit related, we don't hear about it much on these threads. So the shortage of building materials is due to increased demand coming out of lockdown, production issues overseas caused by severe weather, and the global container shortage; whereas the frozen peas/Haribo disaster is another Brexit failure!

Last edited:
As I understand it, there is still a backlog in building material supplies as a result of the Suez Canal being blocked.

This attempt (not you) to blame Brexit for everything, including things that would have gone largely unnoticed pre-Brexit, is getting a bit ridiculous now.
Whereas the attempt by you and some others to deny any of the problems caused by Brexit is perfectly reasonable.

Now, when my Mrs starts to round on me for forgetting various items from the supermarket I can show her this thread and ‘prove’ that in fact I hadn’t forgotten at all but it was caused by the great brexit food famine.

I used to think this thread was utter garbage, but its materially improved my life. Cheers all!

Whereas the attempt by you and some others to deny any of the problems caused by Brexit is perfectly reasonabl

Noughties: Driving/HGV = semi/skilled work
SE EU economic migrant surge: Driving/HGV = £10 an hour
Post Brexit: as you were, madam.

Its a labour market response to restrctions caused by decade long poverty wages practices by employers:

Noughties: Driving/HGV = semi/skilled work
SE EU economic migrant surge: Driving/HGV = £10 an hour
Post Brexit: as you were, madam.

Its a labour market response to restrctions on decade long poverty wages practices by employers:
You really think the government won't just add lorry driver to the growing list of 'shortage occupations' like fruit & veg pickers etc which are exempt from the new immigration rules . Cos they will.

Whereas the attempt by you and some others to deny any of the problems caused by Brexit is perfectly reasonable.
Except I haven't actually done that.

Brexit clearly has resulted in various problems, some of which are almost inevitable when one country leaves a large trading block it's been part of for decades, and loads more which have been caused not by Brexit itself but by the inept way it has been negotiated and delivered by the government, and the lack of proper planning and organisation by employers to deal with issues it was likely to throw up.

Except I haven't actually done that.

Brexit clearly has resulted in various problems, some of which are almost inevitable when one country leaves a large trading block it's been part of for decades, and loads more which have been caused not by Brexit itself but by the inept way it has been negotiated and delivered by the government, and the lack of proper planning and organisation by employers to deal with issues it was likely to throw up.
Yes it's all been rather emetic

I'm getting a massive fruit and veg box with all local produce in it delivered weekly, and Jack's round the corner has 60% British stuff, so I'm not worried about shortages tbh.

Yeah, Amy Lou's is overflowing with produce, better quality and cheaper than the supermarket.

Before you assume what is and what isnt a major concern to me as I am abroad can I just remind you that I was simply just asking you a question?
Sorry if my reply came across as patronising.

It was just a simple example of the problems of a lack of HGV drivers will have. I am sure that no-one will starve & people can take the piss all they like about not been able to get what you previously could expect to be stocked.

Just a benefit of Brexit I suppose.

Just a benefit of Brexit I suppose.

Talking of which, here is another one.

Pledging to take the opportunity to review public procurement rules - one of the major benefits of Brexit - to ensure that ‘social value’: jobs, tax revenues, skills and even the demands and requirement of an industrial strategy are fully taken into account when spending public money is important. This could even open up the question of state aid for critically important sectors.

Back
Top Bottom