Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

So totally U75: won't someone think of the ski instructors!!

The ski industry guy quoted in the Guardian mentioned bartenders, drivers, cleaners etc., which are not traditionally middle-class occupations - you're just moving the goalposts to support a narrative of anybody who sees a downside of Brexit being posh and out of touch.

The BBC's take on it focused more on the workers - I doubt too many of them will struggle to find alternative employment but the loss of 25,000 jobs doesn't seem like something to sneer at.

The ski industry guy quoted in the Guardian mentioned bartenders, drivers, cleaners etc., which are not traditionally middle-class occupations - you're just moving the goalposts to support a narrative of anybody who sees a downside of Brexit being posh and out of touch.

The BBC's take on it focused more on the workers - I doubt too many of them will struggle to find alternative employment but the loss of 25,000 jobs doesn't seem like something to sneer at.

Whilst they're not traditionally MC occupations, I'm going to hazard a guess that there will be a higher proportion of MC people among those Brits who choose to travel to eg Switzerland to work as bartenders, drivers, cleaners in ski resorts than in the general population in those workforces. It's basically a way of subsiding an extended skiing/snowboarding holiday, which is fine as far as it goes, but hardly a bread and butter, food on the table issue.

The jobs haven't been "lost", they will presumably go to either the local workforce or people from other EU countries. And as you say, I doubt too many of them will struggle to find alternative employment, just not in a location which enables them to enjoy their current lifestyle so easily.

Last edited:

Many seem to think the Government has asked the tax-funded BBC to kindly move on from Brexit now half a decade has passed since the vote.

Brexit seems to be for the Guardian what Diana still is to the Mail and Express.

Whilst they're not traditionally WC occupations, I'm going to hazard a guess that there will be a higher proportion of MC people among those Brits who choose to travel to eg Switzerland to work as bartenders, drivers, cleaners in ski resorts than in the general population in those workforces. It's basically a way of subsiding an extended skiing/snowboarding holiday, which is fine as far as it goes, but hardly a bread and butter, food on the table issue.

The jobs haven't been "lost", they will presumably go to either the local workforce or people from other EU countries. And as you say, I doubt too many of them will struggle to find alternative employment, just not in a location which enables them to enjoy their current lifestyle so easily.
The majority of those jobs would be purely to support British tourists, who are also going to be short on the ground. I'd say those jobs are actually lost for the time being. Eventually the visa rules will relax and Brit skiers will have to get used to the idea of their chalet hosts and bartenders speaking in an accent, but in the short term there's a definite loss there.
(Mrs works for a ski tour company. Or did, before they went bust too.)

The majority of those jobs would be purely to support British tourists, who are also going to be short on the ground. I'd say those jobs are actually lost for the time being. Eventually the visa rules will relax and Brit skiers will have to get used to the idea of their chalet hosts and bartenders speaking in an accent, but in the short term there's a definite loss there.
(Mrs works for a ski tour company. Or did, before they went bust too.)
Let them ski in the Cairngorms

Does anyone remember the kefuffle British ski resort firms put up when the Swiss and French insisted that all workers should get the French and Swiss minimum wage not the pittance that the UK firms were paying ?
They got around that by deducting room and board at source. They still get (well, got) a pittance. Which is why I'd agree that despite the positions not being traditional MC work, they were most definitely in the main staffed by MC Brits. And proper ski bums who didn't care about earning more than they need to eat.

In my experience most people who “did a ski season” probably did similar jobs in Sydney during their gap yah before going back to London to work in marketing.

Am being told that the only ski job where you'll see WC (because they mostly can't afford to work for such a pittance) is chefs. They get paid reasonably. As do nannies, but not exactly a bastion of salt-of-the-earth types there.

Find it hard to believe that 25000 Brits are/ were employed working in ski resorts tbh . Think that is more likely to be a figure for posted workers in tourism abroad generally.

Plenty of hospitality jobs back here!

It is a bit of a gap year job, my sister did it after graduation from a language degree for a few years, though she was tour rep rather than bar/cleaning so did all the meeting guests and sorting out problems for people, skiing in winter, hill walking stuff in summer (‘lakes and mountains’ I think they called it). Meant she could do loads of outdoor stuff when not working.

So it is not the middle class Gaurdian readers you give as shit about then? It is the FT readers.

quick question who will food shortages impact most

Which food shortages are these?
It's becasue of Brexit; no one to pick the crops - no wait, that was a couple of months ago

It's becasue of Brexit; 'red tape' and bureaucracy and 'paperwork' - no wait, that was last month

It's becasue of Brexit; employers became so used to exploiting imported labour and paying poverty wages

Back
Top Bottom