Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thank you to Brexiteers.

You're assuming that this leader of the EU must be cleverer than you.

Of course I assume that, I have the utmost respect for the her, also for the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, who also stated as fact that the UK's faster roll out was 100% down to Brexit. I doff me cap at the pair of 'em.

What I don't get is how the EU ended up being seen as the bad guys in the vaccine debacle when the EU was exporting millions of doses to countries including Britain and Britain was exporting fuck-all apart from COVID variants.

Slight improvement on wishing that older people who voted for Brexit should die soon
I imagine lots of them actually have died over the past 18 months.

When we eventually get back to some sort of post covid normality and the full figures are known, I wouldn't be surprised to see calls to re-run the referendum on that very basis.

Last edited:
What I don't get is how the EU ended up being seen as the bad guys in the vaccine debacle when the EU was exporting millions of doses to countries including Britain and Britain was exporting fuck-all apart from COVID variants.

The mistake that's being made here is to consider it to be "the EU" exporting the vaccines. It's not. It's companies that manufacture vaccine in EU locations. Those companies were contracted to supply X number of vaccines to various non-EU states. The EU failed to move quickly enough to secure its own supplies from manufacturers in its own backyard who then commenced fulfillment of the other orders contractually (including to the UK in the case of AZ). The EU then threatened to prevent exports (not just to the UK but everywhere) but eventually realised that was a massive cunt's trick, so are spinning it that they are this huge benevolent vaccine exporter as if that was their plan all along.

Last edited:
the EU was exporting millions of doses to countries including Britain and Britain was exporting fuck-all apart from COVID variants.

The EU didn't create a vaccine, though Germany had an interet in one that was profit-led. The EU only had production plants and contracts, and some of those contracts were with buyers outside the EU.

Yes. Europe is just a few weeks behind the UK, is all. Also not sure what this has to do with Brexit.
Arguably, the Delta variant was allowed to be imported here because Johnson didn’t want to upset Modi by closing the door when the science suggested he should, a decision based on securing a post-Brexit trade deal with India. We’re Europe’s Typhoid Mary right now because of this Brexit-related decision.

Arguably, the Delta variant was allowed to be imported here because Johnson didn’t want to upset Modi by closing the door when the science suggested he should, a decision based on securing a post-Brexit trade deal with India. We’re Europe’s Typhoid Mary right now because of this Brexit-related decision.

Possibly. If that's the case there will be no Delta wave in Europe. We'll see.

The EU hasn't exported a single vaccine.

The EU's ineptitude in procuring vaccines for their citizens led to a massive delay and the additional deaths associated with that delay.

What about all the ones we've received from the other side of the channel?

They're not from "the EU".

They're from private companies who are contracted to supply that product but happen to manufacture it in the EU. The commission has shown that if they were able to stop those exports without the shit hitting every fan in Brussells, they would.

Those vaccine exports are being made despite the EU, not because of them.

Doesn't that make the UK vaccines nothing to do with Brexit because they're from private companies who happen to manufacture in the UK?

Err, dunno. If you like, but that's not the argument for Brexit being instrumental in the UK vaccine roll-out is it.

Doesn't that make the UK vaccines nothing to do with Brexit because they're from private companies who happen to manufacture in the UK?

The UK didn't make any vaccines either, they were quick out of the traps to secure a supply for their citizens though, which the EU didn't, the reason being, as acknowledged by the EU is that due to the very structure of the EU it is shit at doing things at a reasonable pace.

Except the UK government backed development of the Oxford vaccine, and helped to broker the deal with AstraZeneca to licence it across the world, and deliver it at cost price.

The AZ vaccine is currently being produced at 25 different manufacturing sites, in 15 countries, and they are on target to deliver 3 billion doses by the end of the year, the majority for poor to middle income countries, that's a hell of a lot more than what will be exported by companies manufacturing within EU countries.

Back
Top Bottom