Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A song of ice and fire (AKA the spoiler thread)

dany+dragon+egg.jpg

Happy Easter one and all! The day we remember the Messiah Prince Who Was Promised, who is probably gonna be Daenerys isn't it

What do you think the long term effects of the red wedding might be on the TV series and....

How might people lose their shit over what happens with jon in the latest books

I never got invested with robb the way i invested with jon. it might be the fact that jon was never a POV charactor. it night be becuase more hope was placed on jon

for me robb was only ever ned 2.0 he wasn't nad but i never really felt for him. I kinda want to re-read the books with the TV robb in my head.

what i do feel is fuck robb and lets skirt jon......

if they ever suggest ariya dying i will lose my shit.

no fucking joke.

that and tyrion.

if they actually kill tyrion or ariya i may well just burn my copy of the books

i will respect the guy but i might just call it done. jon is pushing it but i can take it.

What do you think the long term effects of the red wedding might be on the TV series and....

How might people lose their shit over what happens with jon in the latest books

I never got invested with robb the way i invested with jon. it might be the fact that jon was never a POV charactor. it night be becuase more hope was placed on jon

for me robb was only ever ned 2.0 he wasn't nad but i never really felt for him. I kinda want to re-read the books with the TV robb in my head.

what i do feel is fuck robb and lets skirt jon......

if they ever suggest ariya dying i will lose my shit.

no fucking joke.

that and tyrion.

if they actually kill tyrion or ariya i may well just burn my copy of the books

i will respect the guy but i might just call it done. jon is pushing it but i can take it.

There's no way Aria will ever die. I feel I may be on more shaky ground with Tyrion, but would like to think that is also the case. And I'll throw in Bran too.

Arya may be on a path that's unredeemable except through self-sacrifice.

I'm not sure why but I really want Cersei to go down fighting, defiant to the end.

Is there one more episode in the TV season? I read they're likely to move the Joffry and Tywin murders til next year. But then what would be left for episode 10. Aria running off to... Bravos. That city with the death temple thing.

John won't be apparently killed for quite some time yet. I'm only presuming he'll be reserected or something in the next book anyway. TV audience will be accustomed to the MO by then.

Is there one more episode in the TV season? I read they're likely to move the Joffry and Tywin murders til next year. But then what would be left for episode 10. Aria running off to... Bravos. That city with the death temple thing.

John won't be apparently killed for quite some time yet. I'm only presuming he'll be reserected or something in the next book anyway. TV audience will be accustomed to the MO by then.

Not sure how they're going to end this series but they've built up Joffrey's wedding so it has to feature. I'm hoping we'll get the full hat trick with Balon Greyjoy being offed as well. That could be a great scene, potentially.

Not sure how they're going to end this series but they've built up Joffrey's wedding so it has to feature. I'm hoping we'll get the full hat trick with Balon Greyjoy being offed as well. That could be a great scene, potentially.

That would make for an amazing finale. But the wedding is quite a way through the second half of the 3rd book IIRC so how could they squeeze it into this series?

No way will they have the Purple Wedding this season, they need to introduce the Dornish (or at least the Red Viper) first surely?

I think Arya has one last bit of business (getting Needle back from Polliver, possibly in the tavern fight) before she leaves the Hound for dead and heads to Braavos.

As regards the book, the most plausible scenario for Jon is that he Wargs into Ghost at the point of death (John's Ghost, geddit ;) ) and then Melisandre resurrects him (as Thoros was doing to Beric, except Jon will come back whole because his conciousness was saved inside Ghost).

At this point Mel switches her belief from Stannis being the saviour of Westeros, to Jon instead. To round this out, newly minted Faceless (wo)Man Arya is sent to take out Melisandre, and Jon, not recognising her, kills his baby sister with Longclaw, fulfilling the Azor Ahai prophecy (killed his loved one to forge his sword) and Longclaw becomes Lightbringer.

But as this is all far too tidy for George Martin, fuck knows :D

That would make for an amazing finale. But the wedding is quite a way through the second half of the 3rd book IIRC so how could they squeeze it into this series?

Well there's no evidence of it in the trailer so you may be right. It would be a missed opportunity though. The very end of this series will be the resurrection of Catelyn Stark (I can see that pissing the audience off a LOT).

Lady Stoneheart shouldn't show up yet either, but I think you're right, I can't see them having another ending quite as impactful.

Dam I've forgotten that. Who kills Balon Greyjoy?

Strongly implied that it's a Faceless Man. Sent by Tywin or Stannis, I can't remember?

The relevant prophecy, as I quoted on the other thread:

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

The implication is that it was a Faceless Man, acting for Euron Greyjoy ("Crow's Eye") who reappears after years at sea straight after his brother's death. Melisandre's curse on all the pretender kings may have played a role, although the most recent book implies that most of her power lies in prophecy and that she foresees events rather than controlling them.

So there's been some promising casting news of late, with a few nice roles being filled by decent actors.

Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand
Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper
Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris of the Iron Bank of Braavos
Roger Ashton-Griffiths as Mace Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden

Also Daario Naharis has been recast with Michiel Huisman in the role

I don't know the chap they've got playing the Red Viper, and there are grumblings that he's a bit 'whiter' than people imagined, but they've made consistently great casting decisions in the past so i'm optimistic.

Bringing in Nestoris earlier than I would have expected, but Iike Gatiss for the part.

Also strange with some of the recastings recently, I understand recasting Tommen as his character has a little more stuff to do coming up, but changing Daario is going to be odd for TV viewers as he was quite prominent in Dany's storyline last season. Similarly, they have again recast The Mountain, I wonder if his duel with the Red Viper will have as much impact, given Clegane has barely been seen in the last 2 seasons.

Clegane was always somebody known more by his reputation, even in the books. If he'd ever had a POV chapter we'd probably have discovered he was a sensitive soul who loved his gran and liked painting watercolours of birds

Finally got round to reading A Dance With Dragons. The phrase "many and more" is really starting to grate.

Nice (if overlong and a bit beard-strokey) literary analysis here of the cycle and its TV adaptations. A few spoilers but nothing to ruin your life.

I just find it amusing that it's getting serious lit-crit attention (there was another rhapsodic piece about it in the London Review of Books recently too...) and even more hilarious that the author below ends up concluding that it is actually ... wait for it ... going to end up as one big feminist tract. bwahahahaha!
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/nov/07/women-and-thrones/

Glad to hear they've replaced the bloke playing Daario Naharis, the previous guy was really annoying and didn't help with the fact that most of Dany's scenes are pretty dry anyway thanks to Emilia Clarke's general rubbishness.

Glad to hear they've replaced the bloke playing Daario Naharis, the previous guy was really annoying and didn't help with the fact that most of Dany's scenes are pretty dry anyway thanks to Emilia Clarke's general rubbishness.

Really? I thought he played the part of a massive douche pretty effectively tbh.

Finally got round to reading A Dance With Dragons. The phrase "many and more" is really starting to grate.
I read 'em all in one go and reckon you could spot where martin had learned a new word he liked, as then it would crop up too often for my tastes - "leal", an archaic way of saying "loyal" being one that stood out.
Anyway, I saw somewhere else that they're going to be filming Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series with what looks like a goood cast, so we shally be spoiled for sword and skulduggery.

They need to give him the blue hair and gold tooth

Really? I thought he played the part of a massive douche pretty effectively tbh.

He did indeed, but I actually quite liked Daario in the books and I didn't much care for the 'massive douche' angle they went for with ponytail guy.

'Little and less' on the other hand, I quite like. But less is definitely more with these sorts of phrases, ideally they should be reserved for use by specific characters IMO. Especially in a work with billions of characters some of whom become increasingly difficult to tell apart.

Back
Top Bottom