Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A song of ice and fire (AKA the spoiler thread)

Probably a tricky thing, to put across the notion that there are stock phrases in use across his world, without over-using them so that they become tedious. In our reality this happens all the time; we quickly get sick of over-used tropes such as "like you do", OMG, etc, but others stay fresh and can be used ad nauseum, like "Thatcher's dead".

On the plus side he has a good line in catchphrases. "Winter is Coming", "Dark Wings, Dark Words", "What is dead may never die" etc. I'm waiting for Roy Walker to add these to his repertoire

I have come to the TV series and the books only very recently. Now up to date with the TV series so have started to read the books where Season 3 has left off. I am enjoying immensely both the TV series and the books. I haven't got very far in the books. Only started a couple of days ago. I've been reading the spoilers on the internet too. I hope to stay ahead in the books before each TV episode of Season 4 comes out. Is anyone safe?

How many spoilers do you want? :D

I could tell you exactly who dies and who lives in the books given that this is the spoiler thread, but I'm not sure you'd like to know what happens to everyone, to be honest.

I could tell you exactly who dies and who lives in the books given that this is the spoiler thread, but I'm not sure you'd like to know what happens to everyone, to be honest.
No don't encourage me. I've already read too many spoilers. It's a nice shock everytime another death is revealed so don't tell me as it will take away the surprise element. :):thumbs:

What do you think the long term effects of the red wedding might be on the TV series and....

How might people lose their shit over what happens with jon in the latest books

I never got invested with robb the way i invested with jon. it might be the fact that jon was never a POV charactor. it night be becuase more hope was placed on jon

for me robb was only ever ned 2.0 he wasn't nad but i never really felt for him. I kinda want to re-read the books with the TV robb in my head.

what i do feel is fuck robb and lets skirt jon......

if they ever suggest ariya dying i will lose my shit.

no fucking joke.

that and tyrion.

if they actually kill tyrion or ariya i may well just burn my copy of the books

i will respect the guy but i might just call it done. jon is pushing it but i can take it.

This.

Book knowledge is power.

Apparently a teacher was fed up of his students misbehaving and so he threatened that unless they behaved he was going to start writing the names of all the characters in the next TV series that died. :D

When faced with a noisy auditorium, the teacher threatened to write the names of all the characters who die in Game of Thrones series three on the board.

After discovering the majority of his students watched Game of Thrones, he said: “Well, I’ve read all the books. If there is too much noise again, I will write the names of the dead on the board.”

Belgian newspaper nieuwsblad.be reports him as saying: “They [the dead] are enough to fill the whole year and I can even describe how they die.”

Should I let my 15yr old daughter watch this? She really wants to watch citing all her friends watch it. Of course:facepalm:. Wife is not to keen and I'm not sure
The slab of books that compose the series puts me off from getting into it tbh.

Yes you should, it's the best thing on telly and you will get massive cool dad points for it!

And it's really tightly plotted and enough to fill a politics 101 syllabus. Depends on how comfortable you are with sexposition scenes...

Should I let my 15yr old daughter watch this? She really wants to watch citing all her friends watch it. Of course:facepalm:. Wife is not to keen and I'm not sure

Make sure you've explained sex-related things to her first.

'You see, when a dwarf and a prostitute love each other very much...'

I don't dare post anything close to a spoiler in the other thread. I haven't read all the books yet but is the following true about who Jon's parents are?

Ned's sister and the old Targaryen King

Tell her she can watch it. If she reads all the books first...

Tell her she can watch it. If she reads all the books first...
Oh god no. I got enough "It was nothing like the books "with harry potter ,twilight,Percy Jackson and now divergent
Brought the first 2 series on dvd . I will watch it with her also getting sky back as virgin kindly gave it too me when I suggested I might go elsewhere.:)
so either we will like it or not. She wants to watch hannibal which I'm pretty sure is not suitable.

I don't dare post anything close to a spoiler in the other thread. I haven't read all the books yet but is the following true about who Jon's parents are?

Ned's sister and the old Targaryen King

No need for spoiler coding in this thread I thought?

EDIT - Just seen you're not up to date, get out of the thread :D

The most widely held theory is that Jon is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

The only man alive who knows has yet to make his appearance, Howland Reed

Reactions: Lea
Last night's GOT's episode veered in a few ways from the books to make it more dramatic / graphic / obvious.

I'm a little disappointed as it removed a character from later on that is useful in telling Tyrion's story (to be replaced by someone else or just skipped?). The female dwarf / pig rider. Where were the pigs in fact? Did the animal rights people forbid it?
It spelt everything out instantly rather than the slower reveal. He was so obviously poisoned rather than did he choke and was Cersei casting blame of poison through irrationality?
Tyrion was stood there with the cup in hand dumbly and slowly suspecting the truth and putting himself in a vulnerable position like an idiot. Whereas in the book he is quite quick to catch on and is trying to get the goblet to hide the wrongly damning evidence.

Back
Top Bottom