Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

That sounds great. You would have to stop off for gray pays n bercon somewhere too.
could put on a little buffet of that and revolting offal based delicacies at the pub at the end. im thinking. although i reckon battered chips and cheese and onion cobs are just as, if not more black country as the traditional enshrined stuff that nobody eats except my dad once in a blue moon and stinks the house out.

could put on a little buffet of that and revolting offal based delicacies at the pub at the end. im thinking. although i reckon battered chips and cheese and onion cobs are just as, if not more black country as the traditional enshrined stuff that nobody eats except my dad once in a blue moon and stinks the house out.

Orange chips Bilston style (Majors)

By the way that's some sterling work you put in on the Sedgley thread discokermit . Well done.
ta!
it is a lot more work than i thought it would be at the beginning but it turned out to be almost the story of the black country. clear lines of where, when and why people came here and what they did when they got here.
this is what got me thinking about the tour, doing like the museum but actually showing people the whole area from the top of a hill. which i conveniently live a few hundred yards down one side of, lol!

from the beacon hotel pub if you cross the road, the chips are battered and orange, or if you turn right and follow the road a couple of hundred yards along, there is a chippy which gives you a choice of orange or plain.

ta!
it is a lot more work than i thought it would be at the beginning but it turned out to be almost the story of the black country. clear lines of where, when and why people came here and what they did when they got here.
this is what got me thinking about the tour, doing like the museum but actually showing people the whole area from the top of a hill. which i conveniently live a few hundred yards down one side of, lol!

I used to live in Hill Top and had a brilliant view of the area you are on about, the sunsets were amazing. It's the only thing I miss about that flat though.

birmingham maybe but black country history is very much the opposite and generally all about the living and working experiences of the working class. which is probably why the black country museum has more working class visitors than any other museum in britain.

related to this, and the work i did on my family tree, and the global geopark stuff i been thinking of starting my own business doing a walking tour kind of thing. kinda taking the black country museum out of the hole in the ground its located in and taking it to the top of sedgley beacon. i could dress up in the old clothes and do a kinda aynuk and ayli routine all the way round.
would cover the history of the place and people from when it was a shallow tropical sea to now. visiting fossil beds at wrens nest, collapsed bell pits in the woods at castle park, across the historically important valley at woodsetton, which opens up into coseley moor and tipton, then up past the abandoned lime kilns at hurst hill and onto the beacon for more fossils and views. then into the beacon hotel for a pint of mild and a cheese and onion cob, with a battered chip chippy right opposite.
i got the idea, i done the historical research, now all i need to learn is how to do everything else!
what do people think?

I’m not convinced that the Black Country is that much more different to be honest. Yes, working class people appear but often in a quite one dimensional way. While there is a fairly vibrant local history scene there it’s not really what I was thinking about.... Where are the great books about the history of the Black Country working class? Where are studies etc? Where are the Labour and social historians researching the area? For an area of its size it really is under researched in my experience.

Anyway, I think the walking tour is a brilliant idea. I can’t remember seeing one for the Black Country. If you can tap into the visitors who normally visit the BCLM you’d be well set. I think there is a massive gap across the region for these types of projects. I also think you’d get take up locally, maybe even from schools.

Carl Chinn does a walking tour round Digbeth on the Peaky Blinders (or at least he did before covid):

Hopefully, this might give you some basic info etc.

The best orange chips I’ve ever had was in Cradley Heath. There are two chippys right by where the Chainmakers main stage is set up. It was one of them but I can never remember which one it was we had them from (I had been guzzling Bathams and Banks’s earlier). They were stunning. Anyway, talking of orange chips, faggots and pays and so on...

I’m not convinced that the Black Country is that much more different to be honest. Yes, working class people appear but often in a quite one dimensional way. While there is a fairly vibrant local history scene there it’s not really what I was thinking about.... Where are the great books about the history of the Black Country working class? Where are studies etc? Where are the Labour and social historians researching the area? For an area of its size it really is under researched in my experience.

Anyway, I think the walking tour is a brilliant idea. I can’t remember seeing one for the Black Country. If you can tap into the visitors who normally visit the BCLM you’d be well set. I think there is a massive gap across the region for these types of projects. I also think you’d get take up locally, maybe even from schools.

Carl Chinn does a walking tour round Digbeth on the Peaky Blinders (or at least he did before covid):

Hopefully, this might give you some basic info etc.
brilliant. i find him moderately bearable. i will check it out. possibly even try to contact him.

Tribune are running a series on Birmingham. The first article is by Lynsey Hanley and is here:

She raises a number of points that have been posted here previously: the poverty, dereliction and neglect of some of the outer districts in the city, the eyesore mess of the city centre, the endless obsession with the ‘big event’, the depressing obsession behind the regular failed consumer led regeneration strategies and the fucking traffic.

But something feels off about the piece as well. It’s a bit jarring and, if I’m being honest, a bit ‘the view of a Brummie who fucked off to London as soon as they could’.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom