Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Birmingham and Black Country thread for all things Brummie and Yam-Yam

anyway, whilst not in the hole in the ground the lad met a woman from sedgley, they married and settled at the bottom of this hill, deepfields, coseley (in the manor of sedgley) 0.6 miles from where i am now, sometime before 1849.

I've just noticed this. It looks very interesting, I've lived briefly on the edge of that track in Dudley Port and used to work at a bakery in Wednesbury that backed onto it. My main hunting ground, truancy spot, air pistol days were spent on the other (at the time) disused track which is now the main metro link from Wolvo to Brum.

I'd love a copy but it appears to have sold out. Will there be any reissues?

There is set to be a second edition next year.

I am just finishing off my website which should go live shortly and there may be a couple of copies availiable on the store

Unemployment doubled across the West Midlands as a result of the pandemic. That’s before the retail job losses announcement yesterday and the end of the furlough in March. This sort of stuff seems to be announced and generally ignored. Have people just given up or are we just overwhelmed with shit news at the moment? Anyway, shocking news for us all:

Unemployment doubled across the West Midlands as a result of the pandemic. That’s before the retail job losses announcement yesterday and the end of the furlough in March. This sort of stuff seems to be announced and generally ignored. Have people just given up or are we just overwhelmed with shit news at the moment? Anyway, shocking news for us all:

It's really bad news, its like Thatcherism all over again. Only jobs really going now in West Mids are for agencies who provide staff for Serco for testing centres.
The old "good day for bad news" applied today I suspect to put these figures out on a day where all eyes are on the vaccine rollout.

"Humanity Close, Equality Road"

I could come up with many names for Perry Barr roads - piss stained underpass alley, pollution road, stab street - more in keeping with the district’s unique character. But Humanity Close? Nah.

Bit noisy in parts of Brum and the Black Country today. I was on Soho Rd earlier, very congested but then again it always is.
I took a really shit video earlier of the chaos. It was very entertaining. All really good natured but total mayhem. I could hear car horns beeping from miles away on the canal when I was out running. Had to cross Soho Road to get home. Got to love the fact that Sikhs can't have a protest without food. There was a guy handing samosas out at the flyover as people had basically parked up for a party.

I took a really shit video earlier of the chaos. It was very entertaining. All really good natured but total mayhem. I could hear car horns beeping from miles away on the canal when I was out running. Had to cross Soho Road to get home. Got to love the fact that Sikhs can't have a protest without food. There was a guy handing samosas out at the flyover as people had basically parked up for a party.

Yeah I saw people on Soho Rd handing out samosas and drinks to the passing cars.
On a similar note theres a Sikh food bank sets up on Fridays outside the college/library on Soho Rd. It's very welcome, they're doing a great job in these testing times.

This is horrible. Very close to where I live. I just feel too old and too unattached to undersand what makes one gang of school kids attack another school kid so violently.
I cant even imagine how his family feel.

Yes I know, I read the West Midlands news still even though I'm in London.
Unbelievable :( guns as well, not the usual knives. That sort of thing is totally beyond my comprehension too - I mean, you've ruined your own life as well as taking someone else's.

I live on the next road to this young man and his family, my next door neighbour's kid went to school with him. There's a gofundme for funeral costs and a memorial set up by family friends. I have no comprehension of how you deal with something like this, your child killed on the street. I hope that the media coverage generates some momentum to question why these young people are dying and to get some funding to bring back programmes for them.

I know where Linwood Road is, many years ago I used to work on Soho Road and I got on the 11 at Boulton Road opposite back towards Perry Barr.

BCBlues if you live round there I'd have thought you would be an Albion supporter :D

I know where Linwood Road is, many years ago I used to work on Soho Road and I got on the 11 at Boulton Road opposite back towards Perry Barr.

BCBlues if you live round there I'd have thought you would be an Albion supporter :D

It's true, I grew up in West Brom but there werent any football fans in our direct family to influence us so I ended up Chelsea and my brother Everton. My Dad was a Kilkenny Cat :D

I have however probably been to as many Albion games as I have Chelsea and my son is a season ticket holder up there.
I moved to London for a few years and because of my accent everyone assumed i was a Baggies fan

It's true, I grew up in West Brom but there werent any football fans in our direct family to influence us so I ended up Chelsea and my brother Everton. My Dad was a Kilkenny Cat :D

I have however probably been to as many Albion games as I have Chelsea and my son is a season ticket holder up there.
I moved to London for a few years and because of my accent everyone assumed i was a Baggies fan

:D
I know what you mean, I'm in London now and people have assumed the same for me, I'm not actually into football but my Dad was born in Aston and a lifelong Villa supporter as were other members of my family.

You're not far from my then baldrick , I'm up by the big temple on the main drag.
There was another shooting last night in Hunters Rd and an air ambulance over the park today. Getting scary out there.
We're practically neighbours. I work near Hunters Road as well. There's been cordons outside work a few times over this last year because of armed police incidents. It's always had a reputation but I've felt safe, my neighbours are nice people, everyone is just trying to raise their family as best they can, work hard and so on. But there's some stuff you just can't escape and this is one of them. I remember there was a shooting on Regent Road in the day time not too long ago and I was pretty shocked by that. This feels like another level. Children with knives and a gun. It just feels like we've sunk so fucking low. What are we doing to help stop children ruining their lives, the lives of other people and their families? I feel so angry and totally helpless.

Same here, my neighbours are great and theres a lot of young families I know that take their kids to school well out of Handsworth. It's harder with Covid to get a bit of a community reaction to this latest tragedy but it needs some serious intervention.

The other problem round here,I'm sure youve seen, is the number of multi occupied housing (HMOs) where the landlords are making a killing charging for support services that dont exist. That poor woman was killed in one last year being dragged down a flight of stairs. Its depressing enough being locked in watching Johnson & co fucking the whole country up and now were having a lot of bad news locally.

I just keep looking forward to the next Simmer Down. Keeps me going.

Same here, my neighbours are great and theres a lot of young families I know that take their kids to school well out of Handsworth. It's harder with Covid to get a bit of a community reaction to this latest tragedy but it needs some serious intervention.

The other problem round here,I'm sure youve seen, is the number of multi occupied housing (HMOs) where the landlords are making a killing charging for support services that dont exist. That poor woman was killed in one last year being dragged down a flight of stairs. Its depressing enough being locked in watching Johnson & co fucking the whole country up and now were having a lot of bad news locally.

I just keep looking forward to the next Simmer Down. Keeps me going.
Oh don't even get me started on the HMOs! Agree with you. They are a huge blight around here. I did enjoy the work the Birmingham Mail have done on it though, it really needs that sort of media pressure to get things to change. I think there is some hope in that respect. I have become a proper nimby with it though, there's a few local FB groups where people will put up planning applications for HMOs and encourage people to object. I do, quite a lot. I don't know how much effect it has, but you have to try. I wrote to our useless MP about it all as well.

It is a real problem though so I'm glad there's some local groups standing up to it. It's not a problem that's going to go away easily if someone somewhere is making money from it.

I wont start you on fly tipping :eek:

Back
Top Bottom