Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"49 up" on tonight at 9pm

Saw the last one of these, and read that column in yesterdays Guardian.

I think this is going to make me feel very, very :(

As the Guardian article said it will basically show that while society has greatly changed (particularly the expansion of the middle-classes), since the first one of these progs (1964), essentially those that had private/public school educations went on to very good jobs, effectively running the country. But more saddening is the gradual wearing down of ones dreams and desires to make a difference or do something unique. Went it comes down to it they all just want to have a nice family and live a comfortable life - and so we all shuffle off this mortal coil with a whimper, perpetutauting the whole thing... :(

I'm still gonna watch it though.

I watched a couple of these with my mum when I was younger... have been meaning to watch this tonight, though I don't know if I'll have time...

I saw the last one and was shocked when I saw the trailer for this that 7 years had elapsed.

i remember seeing neil a few years ago, he walked past me in hackney, he was a councillor there for a few years.....he was the most interesting character imho

Been looking forward to this prog - not just all week - but for the last 7 years.

Fascinating study !

Masseuse said:
Didn't one of them commit suicide a while back? The nice shy odd man. :(

not sure which one that was

didn't realise this was a two parter, enjoyed the first one, it's somehow uplifting and depressing at the same time :confused:

will be interesting to see how it has panned out for neil, probably the most tragic of the stories....that is on next thursday

God it's good isn't it? Can't wait for next week's, I've been wanting to hear what happened to Neil for the last seven years!

The argumentative one was very interesting, she seemed very antagonistic towards the documentary maker. Didn't want to answer personal questions?!

Wookey said:
God it's good isn't it? Can't wait for next week's, I've been wanting to hear what happened to Neil for the last seven years!

The argumentative one was very interesting, she seemed very antagonistic towards the documentary maker. Didn't want to answer personal questions?!

and played into the hands of the film makers...argument makes good telly... :)

just watched the second part...very interesting, neil is now living in cumbria and seems happier, trying to win a seat on the county council...

marty21 said:
just watched the second part...very interesting, neil is now living in cumbria and seems happier, trying to win a seat on the county council...

How on earth do you go from homeless bloke in Scotland to being a Councillor :confused: I wish they'd explained such a dramatic transition for Neil. I was very glad for him, but seemed a bit glossed over.

I really wanted to punch that kid who ended up as a QC and wanted to go into politics, I was thinking how on earth can your background have any idea of hardship in society and therefore be allowed anywhere near power.....then I saw what he does in Bulgaria and felt a bit awful :oops:

In all in did make it look like life is a lot about merely finding peace with yourself and those around you. I find that depressing, as the dreams seem lost.

nuffsaid said:
How on earth do you go from homeless bloke in Scotland to being a Councillor :confused:
It isn't such a huge transition. He's still on a very low income, and still seems very nervy and, so some extent, troubled.

However he looks much better, more at peace, than he has looked since he was 7. I'm glad for him. But I'd say his troubles are far from behind him. Where will he be in 7 years? He doesn't seem to stay in one place for long.

nuffsaid said:
How on earth do you go from homeless bloke in Scotland to being a Councillor :confused: I wish they'd explained such a dramatic transition for Neil. I was very glad for him, but seemed a bit glossed over.

he was a councillor in 42 up in hackney for the lib dems, i saw him once, with that familar shuffling walking style, i recognised the shuffle before i noticed that it was him (if that makes sense)

pilchardman said:
It isn't such a huge transition. He's still on a very low income, and still seems very nervy and, so some extent, troubled.

Yeah but when you see how he was in Scotland, how did he (why did he?) find a room to rent in London (I mean how did he travel, money, where did he spend his first night back in London), how did he maintain rent and bills. What is the selection process for councillors, what would his cv look like, etc, etc, etc, etc, seems a massive leap.... :confused:

nuffsaid said:
Yeah but when you see how he was in Scotland, how did he (why did he?) find a room to rent in London (I mean how did he travel, money, where did he spend his first night back in London), how did he maintain rent and bills. What is the selection process for councillors, what would his cv look like, etc, etc, etc, etc, seems a massive leap.... :confused:

he only had a 15 minute slot in the programme...neil probably could carry a whole show, then you'd get to know all those details..

marty21 said:
he only had a 15 minute slot in the programme...neil probably could carry a whole show, then you'd get to know all those details..

True enough. :)

It's just that I'm always aware that we are all about 3 or 4 bad decisions, circumstances, events away from being out of job, home, relationships and end up homeless (I find this VERY scary), and am amazed that anyone can come back from that. I suppose I'm glad that Neil has shown that it can be done.

nuffsaid said:
He's on JSA, so gets housing benefit to cover rent.

He seems to travel by walking and cycling.

Selection process: join a local party. Council elections are usually fought by activists who don't take a step back when volunteers are sought. He's a earnest and committed sort; I would have thought he'd be a shoe-in for at least an unwinnable seat.

District Cllrs get very little remuneration. Most rely on other incomes. It just so happens his other income is JSA.

His CV would be mostly voluntary work in charity shops, and blanks where he was wandering and homeless.

But I see what you mean, his story is the most compelling.

nuffsaid said:
True enough. :)

It's just that I'm always aware that we are all about 3 or 4 bad decisions, circumstances, events away from being out of job, home, relationships and end up homeless (I find this VERY scary), and am amazed that anyone can come back from that. I suppose I'm glad that Neil has shown that it can be done.

it is scary,

he always seems to be less decisions away from that than most people

I wonder if the programme will help his prospects of being voted in. Gives him publicity. If he was a local candidate in my area and had seen the prog. I'd really feel for the guy and probably be very happy for him to represent me, very earnest and genuinely wants a better society. I'd just have a few misgivings about the xtian thing though. But in perspective seems its more a result of his own soul-searching than merely closed minded indoctrination.

Back
Top Bottom