Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

1945: The Savage Peace: very very disturbing television

I feel more could and probably should have been mentioned about US and UK treatment of prisoners as well, while they treated people better than the USSR and others plenty went on.

I feel more could and probably should have been mentioned about US and UK treatment of prisoners as well, while they treated people better than the USSR and others plenty went on.

If you reached a POW camp you probably lived. While the uk did have one centre where people of interest were tortured. They also had a camp where the vips were treated well befriended and even taken out for meals. Probably got more info out of them as well.
Canadians were loathe to prisoners after rumours of massacres of pows after dieppe. No one was keen on taking hitler youth prisoners after a few surrendered and then produced grenades. SS were on the shit list as well get a reputation for killing pows and no one likes you. Which is a bit shit for the conscripts who got forced into those units.

I watched this yesterday,what a mess we were in.

My late Mother in Law was from Zschornewitz in eastern Germany. She fled with a group of local young women by hanging on to the outside of a train. Somehow they made it to England any many settled in the West Midlands.

She often said that the Russians were worse than the Germans, other this she never mentioned those times and after watching this I can see why.

I'm taking comfort from the fact that she was a truly wonderful woman who would help anyone, she learnt to read and write English by helping her grandkids with homework. She must have seen some pretty disturbing things growing up where she did but like a few of the people in the documentary managed to remain a thoroughly decent person.

watched this this morning before work, really grim stuff. am going to order the book that treelover posted.

Very probably. But most of the Native Americans never came within 100km of an invader. Disease got them.
wounded-knee-012-L.jpg

Matanza_templo2.jpg

casas16.gif

etc etc etc ad nauseam

Haven't seen the documentary but I'm genuinely surprised that people are astonished about the way that the Germans, particularly the "East Germans", were treated as the Red Army advanced.

The Soviets and their local allies suffered in extremis so it's not very surprising that they wanted to meet out some degree of retribution.

There's also another story around the German PoWs who were captured by the Red Army.

Haven't seen the documentary but I'm genuinely surprised that people are astonished about the way that the Germans, particularly the "East Germans", were treated as the Red Army advanced.

The Soviets and their local allies suffered in extremis so it's not very surprising that they wanted to meet out some degree of retribution.

There's also another story around the German PoWs who were captured by the Red Army.
it's hardly a secret: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union

its not so much astonishment- I've read bits and pieces. It's different when you are seeing the footage of hangings and shootings intespersed with people your grandads age breaking down as they try to talk about what happened.

its not so much astonishment- I've read bits and pieces. It's different when you are seeing the footage of hangings and shootings intespersed with people your grandads age breaking down as they try to talk about what happened.

1/5th of Poland's population were killed in the war.

Imagine that for a moment.

Look around your workplace. Each fifth person is killed.

Every single Polish person must have known many, many people killed by the actions of the Nazi regime.

Every single Polish person must have known many, many people killed by the actions of the Nazi regime.

I know this. I've done my reading and watching on many aspects of ww2. I've done my thinking on the nature of vengeance, what it does to the avenger and what use it is to the avenged. I'm not all cock jokes.

But watch the prog and its footage and tell me you don't find it hard viewing. Its grim.

Met a few poles who fought in the war. They considered the only good German was a dead one soon learned not to even mention Russians in their presence.

It isn't just the second world war, it dates back centuries.

True poles didn't get to straf Germany before or after though. The sad fact is they may well have shot up some POW columns in their desire to kill as many germans as possible. People forget the Germans were the first victims of the Nazis and lots of innocents died fueling the flames of vengeance.

I don't think it's as simple as revenge.

I've just watched this program against my better judgement,I expected a horror scene.Now my area of interest is the first World war and believe me it was much worse than the second.I thought it would be a factually based program and not some sub Radio Europe propaganda.

Watched it last night. Wasn't shocked as have seen it all before but was intrigued by its angle. Germans as victims?: but then again I got Action comic from the start. Hellman of Hammer Force?
There's something about that generation that's not all shouty, shouty, pity, pity but is that a good thing? Is it better to bury your war horrors or cry them out from the rafters?

Back
Top Bottom