Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your daily cat and kitten news

So the rescue guy came to scan Carrie's chip yesterday and couldn't find it, so he rechipped her. It seems like the vets sent the paperwork but omitted to actually chip her. Which is why the catflap wouldn't register her.

I've never seen her so utterly terrified though, as soon as he came in, because he's always been putting her in a carrier, taking her to the vet etc. She was literally climbing the walls.

It's unsettled her a bit but I think she's forgiven me. I do need to work on this stuff because she's going to be a nightmare to get to the vets. The foster family did a lot of work on picking her up and I'm trying to continue this to an extent. She occasionally lets me if I get her off guard.

Bonus pic.

PXL_20240925_211525510.jpg

She's so lovely! How annoying about the chip, hopefully you can get the cat flap going now.

Ours are off to the cattery in the morning. After previous traumatic trips bringing them home from the rescue and getting them to the vets when they got that weird virus, we've got a giant carrier that holds both of them, so they can't freak out about being separated. Fingers crossed.

we've got a giant carrier that holds both of them

that can be entertaining.

i had one carrier for the mogs. i could usually get one of them in to it before he quite knew what was happening (it was the sort that opened at the top, so kitty could be boxed tail first) but getting second mog in to the box while first one was trying to get out could be challenging. i don't think you can still see any scars...

Our late Zoe was a two person job to get to the vet. I realised that when I tried to get her in a carrier alone, and I ended up sweating (which I'm not usually prone to do much :D) and she ended up with palpitations I could feel through her fur.

I was concerned for her and cancelled the appointment. I don't know why she was like that as she'd never been in a rescue centre, unlike Paddy who used to be fine with a carrier but is now no longer so.

I reckon Zoe had Words with him. 'If you splay your back legs and get your claws out and wriggle like mad, they can't get you in there!'.

She needed gardening gloves. Paddy is just about OK, if slightly difficult, and I could probably manage him alone.

Jakey hates being put in the carrier.
He's kind of OK once he's in it, but the act of putting him in I think he realises removes any agency or free will from him about how he is going to spend the rest of his day, at least some of it in unpleasant poking/prodding/painful ways, and is probably interrupting a very important business nap.

It was someone on here (I think it was ouirdeaux who particularly encouraged me to try it, although others may also have said it works for them - but basically I cannot thank you enough!) who said if you put the carrier on the edge of something - a table or chair or desk etc. so that there is just a vertical drop below the door, they go in sweet as anything because there's nothing to put their feet on in front of the carrier - the only way is forward.

And blow me down, it worked for my panicking Jakey and is still working 2 years after I first tried it (due to old age and health conditions that need regular checks, that's around 10-15 vet trips where it's worked for us).

I still need to get him to the carrier, but I work this by putting it on our bed with the doorway level with the edge of the bed but covered in duvets so he can't actually see it or realise what is happening until it's too late for him to object or start to struggle, and I wear a long sleeve sweatshirt just in case.

Always leaving the carrier in view of the cat and giving treats in it between vet visits can also help acclimatise them to seeing it around and remove some of the fear.

It has made the entire thing a lot less fraught and as a result he is calmer in the carrier, because he hasn't got worked up in the first place.

Last edited:
My trick is to either position the carrier so that the door is on the top, or use a carrier with door in the top. Lift cat and hold with back feet and ankles firmly in one hand. Lower hand and cat feet into carrie. When my arm and cat are blocking the door and feet are near the base of the carrier, release and then use both hands to manoeuvre cat shoulders into carrier. Hold hand palm out, fingers spread (like a stop sign), in the opening while shutting it.

That sounds weird but it works for me. And for every cat I've lived with.

Thankyou for all the lovely messages re George 🐈.
Can't believe how quiet it is, he was a very vocal cat and would chat all day, to anyone, loved human company.

Tinker has to sleep alone now, for the first time in 12 years, he was abandoned and George took him in. 😢. He purred yesterday for the first time, but he still raises his head hoping George will be there. I'm spending more time than usual on the floor, just so Tinker has some company at his head height.

Went to RSPCA shop to get a new bowl, they didn't have any, but picked up this toy for Tinker.
View attachment 443074
Sorry for your loss. Also, Tinker is a beautiful void.

I don't know how I missed this yesterday!

The one in the 2nd photo looks like he's about to tell you your loan application has been rejected... :D

Right, the vet phoned me earlier.
No sign of infection, high protein in his urine, poor numbers for other kidney related stuff - he's officially in late stage CKD.
This is what we thought already when he started going off his food a bit and losing more weight over the last few weeks, so the tests have just confirmed what we sort of knew already.

Vet wants him in on both Monday and Tuesday all day for IV fluids to give his system a good flush out and rehydrate him, he'll be an outpatient and will be coming home (with IV catheter still in place :eek: ) Monday night.
After that we'll give subcutaneous fluids a go at home and see whether Jakey will be amenable to having that done.

I need to email the vet tomorrow to ask a couple of questions that I forgot to ask on the phone, and to discuss the all important question about what our expectations should be in terms of how long are we delaying the inevitable, which is a conversation I wasn't in the right frame of mind to have when I was woken by my phone ringing this morning!

No sign of infection, high protein in his urine, poor numbers for other kidney related stuff - he's officially in late stage CKD.
This is what we thought already when he started going off his food a bit and losing more weight over the last few weeks, so the tests have just confirmed what we sort of knew already.

Vet wants him in on both Monday and Tuesday all day for IV fluids to give his system a good flush out and rehydrate him, he'll be an outpatient and will be coming home (with IV catheter still in place :eek: ) Monday night.
After that we'll give subcutaneous fluids a go at home and see whether Jakey will be amenable to having that done.

I need to email the vet tomorrow to ask a couple of questions that I forgot to ask on the phone, and to discuss the all important question about what our expectations should be in terms of how long are we delaying the inevitable, which is a conversation I wasn't in the right frame of mind to have when I was woken by my phone ringing this morning!

All the best to both you and Jakey.
Extra hugs all round.

Hoping it all works out for the best for your boy

Love it when they do that! :)
Kizzy has been fully sitting/lying on my arm recently and puts her paw on my hand using the mouse after forcing her way onto my lap :D

Rollo was a right space invader, can't find the picture of him lying right across my mouse arm and onto the laptop, so this one will have to do.

I had actually been doing some work, but made the mistake of sitting in The Comfiest Chair In All the World (TM), first Miss climbed on my lap and then Rollo...well, he did this. Brilliant.

All very much missed.

DSC00104.jpg

Edit: Blimey, 2011

Last edited:

Awww bless him, I hope it works out.

Much love to you all epona. You've done that little kitten so well at every turn to make sure he's well looked after. It's a horrible situation to be in but remember you have always, always done right by him.

I have everything crossed for Jakey that the fluids perk him up x

Back
Top Bottom