Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

yoghurt - 2 weeks over - death?

We should set up a 'will I die' template thread. Along the lines of:

1- Will I die if I .....(insert food related action here)

2- Yes, bin it, too high risk, I have an NVQ in catering so I'd know
3- No, don't be such a wastrel everything was much better before we had fridges and people were more sensible about food
4- due dates are a conspiracy by big food manufacturing business
5- I ate ....(insert something jaw droppingly unhygienic here) and I was fine
Optional- gross video from the further reaches of google/gentlegreen's kitchen

Which reminds me, I bought a meat feast pizza from the new Sainsbury's on Thursday. I can't see an use-by date :oops:

Leave it about a week then start a will I die thread :D

It cost £2.49. I'll be considered an extravagant waster if I bin it, and if I keep it and eat it and die, I'll be considered tight (and dead)

I think I'll stick the oven on

I bet they weren't. People weren't stupid until they had fridges and BBE dates, they went by how it looked, felt, smelt, how long it had been since it was killed/ made/ kept, they used to salt, preserve, smoke etc a lot of things not just out of preference but necessity. Many people grew their own food or bought it locally meaning that some of the problems associated with industrial production of meat/ vegetables were not an issue.

But food adulteration was a major problem back in the day, before sufficient regulations were introduced. All sorts of dodgy things went on in the food industry, including contamination with arsenic. Thankfully the regulations are very strict in Europe now, albeit with some serious breaches as we all neigh about. But it is still a massive problem in other parts of the world, like China. Obviously their regulatory regime isn't as developed as ours, so I feel sorry for the consumers there. :(

It is possible that people may not have died from eating dodgy food most of the time, but gradually were damaged by repeated infections and had their lifespan reduced as a result. I wouldn't fancy having repeated bouts of food poisoning throughout life - especially before the invention of moist toilet tissue!

or maybe people had stronger stomachs?

<snip>

Probably not, as human physiology hasn't changed in the time period. The Black Death was not due to the plague, but in fact solely down a dodgy batch of out of date yoghurt. It's all a massive cover up and we're being poisoned by the global yoghurt conspiracy! :eek:

and they probably couldn't afford to waste it either

True - if the choice is between taking the risk or starving it is a no brainer that you'd eat it. But if you're not desperate, there is no reason to take the risk unless you enjoy spending hours on the loo. :p

Well, will I?

I seriously can't take the risk of a dodgy stomach, but if it's just Sainsbury's being over-cautious...

Too late. I've eaten half of it. If you don't hear from me, you'll know I've gone the same way as nogojones

Oops, sorry! :D

Anyway, I found this from 2011 for nogo

A deadly E. coli outbreak in Europe is expected to worsen in coming days, a senior German scientist has said.

Fourteen people have died in Germany and one woman has now died in Sweden after a trip to Germany.

"We hope the number of cases will go down but we fear it will worsen," said Oliver Grieve, of the University Medical Centre Schleswig-Holstein, where many victims are being treated.

It is thought cucumbers from Spain caused the outbreak.

But Spanish officials have refused to accept the blame, saying it is still unclear exactly when and where the vegetables were contaminated.
The president of Spain's fruit and vegetable export federation has urged the government to deal with the outbreak, saying it was costing Spanish exporters $200m (£120m) a week.

It is thought cucumbers from Spain caused the outbreak.

Could it be the Spanish who grow so much of the veg for Europe pooed on the veg destined for the UK out of spite, to get their own back about Gibraltar? Other countries may have suffered as a form of collateral damage. :hmm:

Also, what if someone used one of the poison cucumbers for, *ahem*, other purposes. Would they die? Them and carrots are the poor man's / woman's dildo after all...so I have been told. ;)

Back
Top Bottom