Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

yoghurt - 2 weeks over - death?

nogojones

spelling is overrated
never had to do a will die thread before, but I found an unopened tub of low fat natural yoghurt at the back of the fridge with the 2nd Aug as the date on the top. I opened it and it looks and smells ok - well it looks and smells like yoghurt.

Is it OK? is yoghurt generally ok as its sort of gone off anyway?

Yoghurt never goes off until it has mould on it.

Fact. Yoghurt is, in fact, gone off milk.

It's the exception to the dairy rule. The dairy rule also states that "if dairy is off, you will know".

Really? I just chucked a load of probiotic yoghurt out :mad:

I buy a lot of live soya yoghurt and don't have a fridge.
It sometimes hangs around the house for weeks.

Really? I just chucked a load of probiotic yoghurt out :mad:
Don't know about probiotic. It might have a lot of sugar in it, that would probably go off. Likewise very artifical yoghurts, wouldn't know as I wouldn't buy them.

I approve of your caution.

Don't know about probiotic. It might have a lot of sugar in it, that would probably go off. Likewise very artifical yoghurts, wouldn't know as I wouldn't buy them.

I approve of your caution.

oh, I was hoping you were going to tell me not to worry and they were perfectly safe to eat way past their use by date :(

I ate a yoghurt (probiotic) which I was a bit unsure about. It had been left out of the fridge for two days and it was when it was really hot.

I probably made myself feel worse by worrying about it rather than any effects I got from the yoghurt (none that I could tell).

Eat it.

And report back when you're dead.

I ate a yoghurt (probiotic) which I was a bit unsure about. It had been left out of the fridge for two days and it was when it was really hot.

I probably made myself feel worse by worrying about it rather than any effects I got from the yoghurt (none that I could tell).

Eat it.

And report back when you're dead.

I did eat some that was 2 days over, but I don't think I'd risk two weeks. We could get nogojones to experiment for us though

Bin it - better wasting some money than dying through being a cheapskate and eating rank food. :D

:D

It's not that, it's just that some people might buy a load of cheese but never get around to eating it and then decide one day they quite fancy some

PS: I'm talking about an unopened pack

Shit. the advise is contradictory. I should have made a poll. My eating habits are pretty cheapskate anyway with most of my dinner coming out of the woopsie fridge so I might have some tolerance.

I'll hold off on the decision until I'm really hungry in a couple of hours and see if any poster can supply me with peer reviewed evidence of its safety, or not

:D

It's not that, it's just that some people might buy a load of cheese but never get around to eating it and then decide one day they quite fancy some

PS: I'm talking about an unopened pack

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what the rates of illness and death were from tainted food before the invention of refrigeration and BBE dates etc. Bet they were much higher than today.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what the rates of illness and death were from tainted food before the invention of refrigeration and BBE dates etc. Bet they were much higher than today.

I bet they weren't. People weren't stupid until they had fridges and BBE dates, they went by how it looked, felt, smelt, how long it had been since it was killed/ made/ kept, they used to salt, preserve, smoke etc a lot of things not just out of preference but necessity. Many people grew their own food or bought it locally meaning that some of the problems associated with industrial production of meat/ vegetables were not an issue.

or maybe people had stronger stomachs?

I know a single guy who makes himself a huge pot of stew every week and just leaves it sitting on the stovetop all week. (Not sure if he does the same in the summer though) :hmm:

I bet they weren't. People weren't stupid until they had fridges and BBE dates, they went by how it looked, felt, smelt, how long it had been since it was killed/ made/ kept, they used to salt, preserve, smoke etc a lot of things not just out of preference but necessity. Many people grew their own food or bought it locally meaning that some of the problems associated with industrial production of meat/ vegetables were not an issue.

and they probably couldn't afford to waste it either

Back
Top Bottom