Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

ah yeah i agree 100% about your point about agents provocateurs having had mates both on and off here who've witnessed that. i'll do a longer reply later. x

i'd be interested in hearing the reasons for defining the IWCA as localist

Over 15 years or so swathes of prescient analysis about our society has been produced by the IWCA - from critiques of multiculturalism, political vaccums, predictions of the rise of the BNP etc.. all of which have subsquently proved right by material events - even though at the time such a stance on things like multiculturalism were used to brand the IWCA as racist (or the predictions about the rise of the BNP seen as daft at a time when for about 7 years it looked like they were going nowwhere)... however now that critique has been generally accepted as being a correct one. Is this social analysis/critique localist? Is the research into Economic Democracy localist? Is the publishing of a book covering 3 decades of militant anti-fascism throghout the UK localist? Is regularly (well not that regularly, but in relative terms) getting asked to particpate in telly & radio programmes on issues that the IWCA are active in localist? Can you find one article on our website which could be defined as localist?

Being active in a local community and being localist are not the same thing

i'd be interested in hearing the reasons for defining the IWCA as localist

Over 15 years or so swathes of prescient analysis about our society has been produced by the IWCA - from critiques of multiculturalism, political vaccums, predictions of the rise of the BNP etc.. all of which have subsquently proved right by material events - even though at the time such a stance on things like multiculturalism were used to brand the IWCA as racist (or the predictions about the rise of the BNP seen as daft at a time when for about 7 years it looked like they were going nowwhere)... however now that critique has been generally accepted as being a correct one. Is this social analysis/critique localist? Is the research into Economic Democracy localist? Is the publishing of a book covering 3 decades of militant anti-fascism throghout the UK localist? Is regularly (well not that regularly, but in relative terms) getting asked to particpate in telly & radio programmes on issues that the IWCA are active in localist? Can you find one article on our website which could be defined as localist?

Being active in a local community and being localist are not the same thing

Terribly sorry for using the wrong word. I'll send myself to a re-education camp immediately.

The NO2AV camp really screams out the future of democracy!:

As President of the NO to AV campaign:
- Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP

As Labour Patrons:
- Rt Hon David Blunkett MP
- Rt Hon Lord Falconer QC
- Rt Hon Lord Prescott
- Rt Hon Lord Reid
- Emily Thornberry MP

As Conservative Patrons:
- Rt Hon Ken Clarke QC MP
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP
- Rt Hon William Hague MP
- Steve Norris
- Rt Hon Baroness Warsi

You still seem to be labouring under the bizarre belief that people I disagree with in other circumstances being in the same camp on this occasion will somehow put me off.

This is stupid, because:

a) It won't. I make my decisions based on what I think is right, not what other people are doing.
b) If it *did* make a difference then I *definitely* wouldn't be wanting to align myself with Nick Clegg.

i can hear the sound of barrels being scraped....
huh? In what way? I'd say the only barrel being scraped is yours, with the frankly desperate argument of 'look at all these nasty people voting against, surely you don't want to be on the same side as them'.'

Innit, he's the perfect illustration of why AV aint gonna happen :D

Another example - Ben Bradshaw is leading the Labour Yes to AV campiagn - here's part of an interview with him:

Bradshaw again reiterates his opposition to the disproportional nature of AV, returning to territory covered in the Jenkins report: "The reason I've never supported AV is that it would have given us an even bigger majority in 1997, and it would have given the Tories an even bigger majority in 1983, and probably 1987 as well."

The NO2AV camp really screams out the future of democracy!:

As President of the NO to AV campaign:
- Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP

As Labour Patrons:
- Rt Hon David Blunkett MP
- Rt Hon Lord Falconer QC
- Rt Hon Lord Prescott
- Rt Hon Lord Reid
- Emily Thornberry MP

As Conservative Patrons:
- Rt Hon Ken Clarke QC MP
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP
- Rt Hon William Hague MP
- Steve Norris
- Rt Hon Baroness Warsi

You don't get their logic, it makes sense to side up with vested Tory interests becuase it punishes the Lib Dems for joining up with vested Tory interests :facepalm:

Whose heading up the Yes vote - why it's the Tory religious nut John Bartleby. Please, do play this game - you won't win.

John Bartleby is not even on the Yes to Fairer votes board

* Chair: Katie Ghose (Chief Executive, Electoral Reform Society)
* Pam Giddy (Chair, Take Back Parliament)
* Neal Lawson (Chair, Compass)
* Vicky Seddon (Chair, Unlock Democracy)
* John Sharkey (Liberal Democrats)

Oh? Bartleby has just appeared on BBC News bigging up AV.

The yes campaign announced that Jonathan Bartley is to be one of its three campaign spokesmen.

Here

(errant b in my post above)

Hilariously inept BNP style approach on the yes blog - check out the use of veterans :D

FPTP now has a 10% lead btw, up 3% from the last one. Don't know the exact figures yet - whether rise in support for FPTP or drop in AV (FPTP version #2).

No we're quite relaxed. It's very early days. The Tory voting press will be obsessed with royal wedding coverage which is good news.

Big beasts of yesteryear are of limited value.

Back
Top Bottom