Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

A claim I retracted with the qualification that you did said he "really really" was a favourite of Labour people. For which I've seen little evidence.

Before the election i said that an electoral system that returned coalitions leads not to the smaller party (the assumed smaller party being a left party) pulling the mainstream larger party to the left but to the larger party pulling the smaller to the right and eventually swallowing them up. How do we think the lib-dems experience has played out with reference to this prediction?

Geert Wilders has got a number of his core policies into the Coalition Agreement of the new Dutch government. But, to believe some, it doesn't matter, as none of them have been enacted yet.
correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he got far many more MPs (or whatever you call them over there0 than the BNP are likely to have, even under PR, let alone AV?

Before the election i said that an electoral system that returned coalitions leads not to the smaller party (the assumed smaller party being a left party) pulling the mainstream larger party to the left but to the larger party pulling the smaller to the right and eventually swallowing them up. How do we think the lib-dems experience has played out with reference to this prediction?

I would begrudgingly accept this as not entirely false.

Because one instance automatically proves a hypothesis valid? If anything the Lab/Ld coalition in Scotland pulled Labour to the left of what New Labour was trying to impose from Westminster (eg. on tuition fees) - so you can't read off the political content of a coalition from the form.

I'm being a bit slow today - can someone explain this cartoon to me?

Bob-Moran-001.jpg
presumably, millipede and falconer trying to use the courts/procedural rules to cage the proposed bill with the referendum and redrawn boundaries in it

That is to afford them importance far greater they than deserve - to lock in place a voting system that totally fails millions of voters just so you can punish the leaders of a party who are already fucked anyway.

That is to afford them importance far greater they than deserve - to lock in place a voting system that totally fails millions of voters just so you can punish the leaders of a party who are already fucked anyway.

The voting system you're advocating could fail even more people, while possibly throwing the Lib Dems and the Tories an electoral life line.

Louis MacNeice

correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he got far many more MPs (or whatever you call them over there0 than the BNP are likely to have, even under PR, let alone AV?

The PVV (Wilders' Party) has 24 seats in the 150 seat parliament. In the previous parliament they only had 9. PR undoubtably would give the BNP a lot of seats. But then it would also give the Greens and other small parties many seats. The new Dutch government is extremely unstable with only a majority of 1.

Because one instance automatically proves a hypothesis valid? If anything the Lab/Ld coalition in Scotland pulled Labour to the left of what New Labour was trying to impose from Westminster (eg. on tuition fees) - so you can't read off the political content of a coalition from the form.
yes, but the tories are proportionately far, far stronger in England than they are in either Scotland or wales; IIRC, in the last scot assembly elections they finished fourth.

The PVV (Wilders' Party) has 24 seats in the 150 seat parliament. In the previous parliament they only had 9. PR undoubtably would give the BNP a lot of seats. But then it would also give the Greens and other small parties many seats. The new Dutch government is extremely unstable with only a majority of 1.

Have the dutch people failed or the dutch political parties? In either case is the form of the electoral system the solution?

Louis MacNeice

... as well as taking proper PR off the agenda for a generation.

nothing would take proper PR off the agenda more than a NO vote at this referendum - which would inevitably be spun as a vote of confidence in FPTP.
People like Butchers who don't care one iota about PR don't need to worry about this.

Louis - AV would mean no voter would be unable to indicate their true loyalty because of tactical considerations. That would be a significant step. Not the whole journey of course.

There isn't going to be any lifelines for the coalition whatever the voting system.

Have the dutch people failed or the dutch political parties? In either case is the form of the electoral system the solution?

Louis MacNeice

That's not a question I feel informed enough to answer. Wilders' popularity is very strong, but has already started to weaken since he's had to make compromises.

nothing would take proper PR off the agenda more than a NO vote at this referendum - which would inevitably be spun as a vote of confidence in FPTP.
People like Butchers who don't care one iota about PR don't need to worry about this.

Louis - AV would mean no voter would be unable to indicate their true loyalty because of tactical considerations. That would be a significant step. Not the whole journey of course.

There isn't going to be any lifelines for the coalition whatever the voting system.

The first is pure conjecture; given that many people will oppose AV precisely because it isn't PR there will be room both before and after the referendum, to sing PR's praises, in contrast to the squalid compromise of AV.

The second is wishful thinking; AV allows for/encourages tactical voting in a way that can empower the status quo. PR with a low percentage threshold is a whole different kettle of fish.

The third the Lib Dems may see rather differently to you; as might the Tories depending on how close a run thing it looks like being.

Louis MacNeice

That's pretty obviously and demonstrably not true, though.

A vote for "yes to AV" would -- pretty much by definition -- take proper PR off the agenda for a generation. Nobody is going to tinker with voting reform every five or ten years. So voting to change to AV would give more than 10 years of AV and realistically more like at least 20 years. That's a generation in anybody's book.

So the result of "Yes" is clear-cut. It will definitely take PR off the table for a generation.

The result of "No" is far less clear-cut. It might be spun as an endorsement of FPTP. Or it might be successfully sold as a cry for proper PR. It's hard to tell at this stage but at least it keeps the game going. Whereas a "Yes" vote ends the game immediately for a generation.

Both a No or a Yes vote will be meaningless. Further tinkering will come as a result of the continued failure of the electoral system, rather than as a result of either no or yes. The only thing no or yes will mean is more or less prestige for the Lib Dems.

It's far too early to tell, and we won't be able to tell for a couple of years. We really don't know how far Cameron would have had to placate the Tory Right if he'd won an outright - but slender - majority.

PR undoubtably would give the BNP a lot of seats. But then it would also give the Greens and other small parties many seats.
the BNP would prolly get substantially less joy from PR than the Greens, prolly 3-4 seats at most, going by their scores at the last GE

the BNP would prolly get substantially less joy from PR than the Greens, prolly 3-4 seats at most, going by their scores at the last GE

The GE results under FPTP may not be a good guide to how many seats would be won under PR, as people may vote completely differently in a PR election, due to not needing to vote tactically.

So nobody really knows for certain exactly how a PR parliament might look.

For example, in the last couple of euro elections (under party list PR) the Greens and UKIP got much higher vote shares and labour,tory and lib dem got much lower shares of votes than "normal".
(even the euros are probably not a good guide though as the turnout is low in euros, and i bet right wing anti-euro types are more likely to turn out)

And I suspect that the lib dems share of the vote is going to collapse regardless of what voting system is used in future.

Nah it's just that I haven't decided whether you're actually wrong or not, it's a very difficult issue, but if you are wrong i would tell you don't worry. :D I've been wondering about this a lot lately especially in the light of the protests and the fact that many of the people I know who were on the demo were actually pretty shocked by some of what went on, and they're hardly liberal types either. not that im saying that they were wrong and they shouldn't have gone in etc etc because i don't think they were

In terms of direct action stuff though, is there not a risk that it will end up alienating support and end up being, by necessity, elitist and often very limited to single issue stuff - (not that electoral or other stuff won't do that anyway) but in terms of actually getting your programme out there? Im thinking for example of people who work for the council who actually end up having to clean up smashed windows etc (for want of a better example - i'm not satying that stuff doesn't have a place because I think it does). I hope what I'm asking doesn't come across as stupid and I have a ton of respect for a lot of people who go out and engage in many of these actions (altho not all). It's just ... I dunno, I think these are questions we have to think about if you see what I mean?

I don't deride the IWCA - I don't agree with them on everything but actually have a ton of respect for them and a lot of what they've done and managed to achieve.

VP (or anyone else) i'd quite appreciate an answer to this when you've time, ta x

Nah it's just that I haven't decided whether you're actually wrong or not, it's a very difficult issue, but if you are wrong i would tell you don't worry. :D I've been wondering about this a lot lately especially in the light of the protests and the fact that many of the people I know who were on the demo were actually pretty shocked by some of what went on, and they're hardly liberal types either. not that im saying that they were wrong and they shouldn't have gone in etc etc because i don't think they were
I reckon one of the blessings of demos (as well as occasionally a curse, of course) is that people have their eyes opened to the reality of the lengths the state is happy to go to in order to suppress dissent (as well as how badly a minority of protesters often behave, although let's leave the inevitable debate about agents provocateurs for another day, hmm? :D)
In terms of direct action stuff though, is there not a risk that it will end up alienating support and end up being, by necessity, elitist and often very limited to single issue stuff - (not that electoral or other stuff won't do that anyway) but in terms of actually getting your programme out there? Im thinking for example of people who work for the council who actually end up having to clean up smashed windows etc (for want of a better example - i'm not satying that stuff doesn't have a place because I think it does). I hope what I'm asking doesn't come across as stupid and I have a ton of respect for a lot of people who go out and engage in many of these actions (altho not all). It's just ... I dunno, I think these are questions we have to think about if you see what I mean?
I agree (and it looks like we might have to have the debate about agents provocateurs now rather than later, after all!).
We first need to ask ourselves, though, "what is direct action"? Is direct action a bunch of nudniks leathering a window until it breaks; is direct action, to many people, going on a protest march in the first place; is direct action undertaking an action (within that protest or separate from it) that directly shines a light on issues related to that protest? While I suspect that for some people the label "direct action" encompasses all the above, to me it mostly only encompasses the final point.
Does having to clear up the mess left after a protest mean that people who might otherwise support the protesters could become disenchanted? Of course, but if they're also being affected by the same swathe of cuts, they're likely to just shrug it off, and quite possibly to march in protest themselves.
Is direct action elitist? Well it certainly can be perceived to be, and in some cases, for some causes, I'm sure it is (I'm talking about you, Otis "Hitler Youth" Ferry), but even if it is elitist as a matter of fact, it still often holds the power to attract more people to a wider movement than it alienates.

I don't deride the IWCA - I don't agree with them on everything but actually have a ton of respect for them and a lot of what they've done and managed to achieve.

Same here.

As for agents provocateurs, as quite a few old lags on here will tell you, our beloved state isn't above smashing the first (and second, and third) window in order to cause enough of an air of aggro at a demo that the media can then sound off about "anarchists", "rioters" and the like.

Back
Top Bottom