Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

The point is that that voting system is indelibly associated with Clegg and the Lib Dems and is also one of the things they and the Tories are using to pretend to diferentiate themselves from each other.

You think a small change in the voting system is enought to save Clegg and the LDs? That's how on the ball you are

Who said it it would save them? It'll give them some glue that they wouldn't have otherwise - and it'll be the leadership, the most pro-cuts group who are using it.

i.e this post for starters

to be honest, a referendum isn't really needed on AV - it's best explained as a modification of how FPTP works ie. it doesn't need any fundamental shake-up in terms of boundary changes (the Tories are adding that in to gerrymander the system for their own benefit).

That's no doubt why Clegg called it a "miserable little reform" when Brown suggested it :D

The Liberal Democrat party needs to be wiped off the map.

I haven't been here for years but a quick glance through to posts and the fact that you guys think that is bloody obvious. I've tried to explain that to articulat8 in the previous post above - don't know what it is but him and moon23 seem to miss the bloody obvious...

One question though, do you really think the Lib Dems are worse than Labour? Seriously? Labour were the party that 1 year or so ago were outsourcing torture, trying to force us to carry ID cards, purposely letting the super rich not pay tax (the non-dom status wasn't a loophole, they did it one purpose). Labour first introduced tuition fees because they wanted to 'create a market' in education and the last Tory government didn't have the balls to do it themselves, Labour followed George Bush into Iraq... The list goes on and on. OK, I'll never vote Lib Dem again, but what's seeing the slimy little fuckers wiped of the electoral map ever gonna do for you? Because they're the same aren't they? Not any worse?

You think a small change in the voting system is enought to save Clegg and the LDs? That's how on the ball you are
I think you don't really believe that and are therefore lying to people... But I might be wrong though, and you have my sincere apologies if I am wrong.

I doubt many people here would argue that Labour are any different, they might have cut a bit slower but that's it. In an ideal world we'd see all three mainstream parties wiped off the map. But it's not going to happen to Labour or the Tories. It's possible, if not inevitable, that the Lib Dems will be and so we can at least get rid of one of them. In fact, the only one on this thread who I can recall arguing Labour were any different is the one arguing FOR a yes vote.

No of course Labour aren't any worse but they weren't pretending to be better, were they. The Lib dems staked most of their electoral support on trying to be a party to the left of Labour.

In fact I'm not even sure that Clegg is as bad as Labour, I can't see Clegg out sourcing torture or keeping his mouth shut whilst an American president was busy authorising the CIA to do it.

When you actually look at the evil the Labour Party have inflicted, cutting a bit slower is pretty minor as a saving grace.

In fact I'm not even sure that Clegg is as bad as Labour, I can't see Clegg out sourcing torture or keeping his mouth shut whilst an American president was busy authorising the CIA to do it.

When you actually look at the evil the Labour Party have inflicted, cutting a bit slower is pretty minor as a saving grace.

I think you're being very naive there.

Then you obviously don't have a very good imagination.

I don't understand that graph - or rather, i don't understand how you can read the preference votes from it.

The red bar at the bottom of each round is the losing party. You then see how their second preference votes were allocated by looking at which parties gained % in the next round

Labour let the workers get screwed, but the Lib Dems are holding them down to be screwed while videoing it on their phone.

I haven't been here for years but a quick glance through to posts and the fact that you guys think that is bloody obvious. I've tried to explain that to articulat8 in the previous post above - don't know what it is but him and moon23 seem to miss the bloody obvious...

One question though, do you really think the Lib Dems are worse than Labour? Seriously? Labour were the party that 1 year or so ago were outsourcing torture, trying to force us to carry ID cards, purposely letting the super rich not pay tax (the non-dom status wasn't a loophole, they did it one purpose). Labour first introduced tuition fees because they wanted to 'create a market' in education and the last Tory government didn't have the balls to do it themselves, Labour followed George Bush into Iraq... The list goes on and on. OK, I'll never vote Lib Dem again, but what's seeing the slimy little fuckers wiped of the electoral map ever gonna do for you? Because they're the same aren't they? Not any worse?

Do you have a point?

No I don't - but I think it is clumsy rather than pernicious - a judgement than Zephaniah would be a more familiar name to communities in London than elsewhere, rather than a conscious decision to drop him for other areas. eg. Ken Livingstone is going on the Labour Yes leaflets in London but not elsewhere.

Given that out of 5 speakers at yesterday's national launch there was one black man and two asian women makes the idea we want to run an all white campaign more than a little silly.

Aah, nice Tony Robinson - a more damning thing you'd have to search long and hard for.

Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard, Colin Firth, Tony Robinson, Laurie Penny - why not go the whole hog and have Brian Cox, Louis Theroux and Adam Curtis and hire a big fucking boat and have a nice liberal pluralist sensible party?

Back
Top Bottom