Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

Incidentally, fucking hell :facepalm:

That's shocking. The reason they dont have decent equipment has nothing to do with the referendum and everything to do with politicians who dont give a shit about the people they send to kill and die in dubious wars. They must think we're thick as fuck.

I'm more anti-AV than ever after hearing how it will make MPs need 50% of their constituents' support.

It doesn't of course, it requires that 50% of people voting hate someone else more, but of course it will give them the moral authority to claim that they represent the majority of their constituency, the cunts.

Not to mention that the only comparable country with AV, Australia, has a far greater proportion of safe seats than Britain, suggesting that AV does exactly the opposite of what articul8 claims it will do.

The Av vote admitted that today - they had 10 great reasons to vote lib-dem/AV - one of them was that it means extremists never win. It funnels them all into the centre - exactly against what articul8 has argued on here. One of the main drivers behind this campaign.

I want extremists to win.

Maybe we could have an anti-AV vote and i don't want AV to win vote as 2nd pref - we should have two votes because our one isn't good enough unless it wins. We want two. Signed, the people who know.

the simple act of listening to clegg try and justify why AV might be a good thing is enough to make me want to destroy the whole concept (and rip down the artifice of democratic control more generally)

does that make me an extremist?

It appeals to that kind of idiot who wants all the politicians to sit down together to discuss the problems. You know who else wanted that? Darth Vader.

People really shouldn't vote against AV on the basis that it may benefit the LDs or that it will piss them off.

The equally vapid but counterbalancing argument is that voting for AV will piss off the tories.

People really shouldn't vote against AV on the basis that it may benefit the LDs or that it will piss them off.

The equally vapid but counterbalancing argument is that voting for AV will piss off the tories.

can you supply us with a list of acceptable reasons we can use for voting no?

currently one of my reasons is i know someone from uni who is involved in the yes campaign via 'unlock democracy'. awful woman.

You're a Green right? What do you think about the fact that AV could well make it harder for the Greens to win seats? Greens won Brighton Pavilion with just over 30% of the vote in what is essentially a three way marginal. AV would put up a further barrier as they will now need to get a sizeable chunk of 2nd preferences as well. And whilst it's hard to predict how people will use their 2nd/3rd/4th preferences it seems fairly likely that these voters will vote for the established parties as these are probably votes people care less about and things like name recognition become more important. I know the benefits for smaller parties are that people won't be as worried about wasting their vote but surely that issue fades when the Greens get a foothold anyway.

Not equally vapid as hurting the Tories directly will not hurt the coalition. Have another go. More vapid, incorrect and not counterbalancing at all.

Any content behind you finger wagging first paragraph? There's pretty clear arguments being offered as to why voting no precisely to hurt the lib-dems is a sound course of action. What do you have?

You're a Green right? What do you think about the fact that AV could well make it harder for the Greens to win seats? Greens won Brighton Pavilion with just over 30% of the vote in what is essentially a three way marginal. AV would put up a further barrier as they will now need to get a sizeable chunk of 2nd preferences as well. And whilst it's hard to predict how people will use their 2nd/3rd/4th preferences it seems fairly likely that these voters will vote for the established parties as these are probably votes people care less about and things like name recognition become more important. I know the benefits for smaller parties are that people won't be as worried about wasting their vote but surely that issue fades when the Greens get a foothold anyway.

Why do you think that the Green party in England/Wales is campaigning for a *Yes* vote to AV?
Greens would have won Brighton Pavillion anyway under AV (according to the British Election Survey modelling of the 2010 election) - that they did so under FPTP was pretty much a freak result, as most Greens openly admit.

AV would empower every voter to vote Green as their 1st preference rather than the current situation where their vote gets massive squeezed. OK this won't directly translate into more seats in Westminster. But it will allow for more effective targeting for local elections, and the removal of FPTP will further keep up momentum for PR in the Lords.

A no vote will not do the Greens any favours at all.

There's pretty clear arguments being offered as to why voting no precisely to hurt the lib-dems is a sound course of action. What do you have?

No there aren't. Hurting the Lib Dems in ways which make it harder to kick the Tories out of government is really fucking stupid. The idea that it will plunge the entire coalition into deadlock over the cuts is total wish-fufilment without any basis in what will actually happen as a consequence of a No vote. Clegg won't particularly care and the LD noises-off won't do anything substantial to destabilise the coalition's agenda.

Why do you think that the Green party in England/Wales is campaigning for a *Yes* vote to AV?
Greens would have won Brighton Pavillion anyway under AV (according to the British Election Survey modelling of the 2010 election) - that they did so under FPTP was pretty much a freak result, as most Greens openly admit.

It is entirely possible that the GP are wrong to do so. If you read the report they admit that they believe that the Greens would have won Brighton Pavilion under AV but there is not strong evidence for this from the results of simulations. From the report, pg 13

Note that Table 8 reports the
Greens as retaining their single seat of Brighton Pavilion, in spite of the
indecisive result indicated by our simulations. This reflects our judge-
ment (rather than any hard evidence) that the pattern of second prefer-
ences in the unusual circumstances Brighton Pavilion seat would have
been sufficient to secure a Green AV victory, regardless of the second
preference vote allocations to the Greens that are implied by our
national distribution ratios.

Can you imagine the GP discussion where they agreed to do this? "Let's all campaign for AV. OK, well it may not actually help us but, what harm can it do? Jumping into bed with the Lib dems, what harm can it do?"

This whole pro vs anti AV nonsense is just pointless arguing over a pointless system that is only interesting to the political elites and their faithful servants. If I lived in the UK I'd probably abstain or vote no, just to piss off the idiots who think that electoral reform is actually going to deliver some kind of progress.

I didn't think the Greens are campaigning for a yes vote, I know Caroline Lucas is in favour, but I thought once their amendment to allow a multiple choice referendum had been defeated they chose not to take a line, and allow free choice like Labour?

I don't know how to vote or if I even will. Here's how I see it -

1. AV makes hung parliaments more likely. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
2. AV helps Labour the most. Not sure if that's a good thing either.
3. AV makes it harder for small parties like the Greens. That's a bad thing.
4. AV in the UK would turn it from a 2 party system into a 3 party system. Not exactly impressed with the liberals so it's not a great thing.
5. Oh who cares...

Check out derek greens scathing view of av

AV can be seen as a means to prevent the growth of the Greens, if it is introduced it will make the system a little more democratic reducing the pressure for change in a very undemocratic system and if the referendum fails to introduce it will be said that voters are happy with first past the post.

I suspect it is more dangerous for the Green Party and democracy if AV is introduced.

Ouch! Sounds like the real villains here are the ones who put AV on the agenda as a Big Political Step. And who's that? Articul8, other electoralist left idiots and the lib dem slimes.

I don't know how to vote or if I even will. Here's how I see it -

1. AV makes hung parliaments more likely. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
2. AV helps Labour the most. Not sure if that's a good thing either.
3. AV makes it harder for small parties like the Greens. That's a bad thing.
4. AV in the UK would turn it from a 2 party system into a 3 party system. Not exactly impressed with the liberals so it's not a great thing.
5. Oh who cares...

Who cares indeed, fuck the lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom