Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes or No -AV referendum May 2011

I'm suggesting that it wouldn't - not with 10 million votes (never mind the hidden tactical voters whose return would push it higher). And if it did then that would be even more un-proportional than FPTP has ever been.

Depends what you call proportional. AV allows for 'least liked' to be weighed against 'most liked'.

If you're arguing for AV on the grounds that it's more proportional than FPTP then using an example of 33% of the vote gaining 8% of the seats as a supportive example then i can only suggest that articul8 signs you up to his strategy team.

Looking at those figures more closely, they do show a pattern under AV. As you might expect, the Libdems gain most 2nd prefs from both Labour and Tories, but that fact only has a small effect on the overall result – a handful of seats gained by the lds at the expense of the other two, but only a handful.

What seems, not surprisingly, to be the crucial figure is the 2nd prefs of the ld voters. I'm slightly surprised by the figures in that they suggest more 2nd prefs for the tories than labour right through the Thatcher years. That does surprise me, I admit, and it undermines some of what I've been saying. Then, there is a decisive shift towards Labour in 97, which is what leads to the collapse in the tory seats. Even relatively small shifts in the 2nd prefs of the libdems can have large effects on the results, it seems.

So, perhaps, AV would lead to a veering of strategists away from their obsession with wooing swing voters in marginal constituencies towards wooing LibDem voters in all constituencies. I agree that this is not exactly an ideal situation – whether or not it would represent even more of a pull to the centre than the current situation I could not say, though: the current system, with its obsession with a tiny number of 'swing' voters already has this effect pretty powerfully. I would argue that it also leads to the argument being carried out on entirely phony grounds: swing voters aren't renowned for their deep political analysis; on the contrary, I would suggest that someone who doesn't know who to vote for is more likely to be ill-informed than someone who does, and a system that pushes all parties to obsess on the opinions of a tiny group of ill-informed people is pretty much the worst of all possible worlds.

Of course, the effect having been in coalition with the tories will have on the lds is hard to factor in – these stats from past elections may have little bearing on the next election.

This constituency (Streatham) has been Labour since '97, with a significant majority each and every time, so 2nd-preference is pretty meaningless except if our local MP is caught nuts-deep in a Great Dane.

That AV won't eliminate every safe seat is not sufficient ground for rejecting altogether a system that would make *more* seats *more* marginal. How does keeping FPTP help?

No-one has so far sustained an argument to the effect that FPTP is a better system than AV.

@mx_600

I’m writing this in the middle of an election campaign for the UK Youth Parliament, but today I’m taking time off and I’m reflecting on how I got here.

Uh huh

No-one has so far sustained an argument to the effect that FPTP is a better system than AV.

It's easier for most people to understand and produces less spoilt ballots. Preferential voting hasn't been used in England & Wales so could cause a lot of confusion. Preferential voting systems such as AV and STV take longer than FPTP to count and have more complications:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6622963.stm

It also creates a centrist bias, may make it harder for smaller parties and may produce a less proportional result.

The current system creates a strong 'centrist bias' by concentrating the minds of all main parties on the thoughts of a tiny number of swing voters in marginal constituencies. Would AV be worse, or better? The answer doesn't seem obvious to me.

The current system creates a strong 'centrist bias' by concentrating the minds of all main parties on the thoughts of a tiny number of swing voters in marginal constituencies. Would AV be worse, or better? The answer doesn't seem obvious to me.

Why does it have to be worse or better? Why should we argue on those grounds? Vote no, hurt the lib-dems, hurt the coalition, another front to stop the cuts.

That AV won't eliminate every safe seat is not sufficient ground for rejecting altogether a system that would make *more* seats *more* marginal. How does keeping FPTP help?

It's not incumbent on people to do so, and nobody has (as far as I recall) actually made that argument in the first place. The argument is (and has always been) that AV is no better than FPTP, that any putative gains it gives to the electorate can be easily nullified by the big parties.

I think that's a very short-sighted attitude.

Which is more important, attacking the cuts and those pushing them through, or seeking possible marginal changes to the electoral system (changes which could further entrench the limited centrist politics currently on offer)?

Louis MacNeice

Bringing about a defeat for the LD's on the subject of AV will not, of itself, bring down the government. FPTP is so clearly less democratic than AV (however much PR would be preferable), that voting against AV seems to me to be very short-sighted.

Bringing about a defeat for the LD's on the subject of AV will not, of itself, bring down the government. FPTP is so clearly less democratic than AV (however much PR would be preferable), that voting against AV seems to me to be very short-sighted.

It doesn't need to, no one has argued that it will. There's posts above which demonstrate that AV has the potential to be less proportional than FPTP (you neglected to say what 'democratic' meant so i assume that you meant this. Please exapnd if you meant something different). Make an argument why "voting against AV seems to me to be very short-sighted" - given that a lot of us don't share the same aims as you. What is it short sighted in relation to?

any putative gains it gives to the electorate can be easily nullified by the big parties.

If the big parties all believed that, then no-one would waste time and energy opposing it. But the Tories are against it practically to a man or woman - Cameron will call for a NO vote, the Taxpayers Alliance have lent their chief exec to head it up, climate change scpetic Sir ROdney Leach is helping to finance it. Which kind of suggests they are less than relaxed about it?

#

How is voting down AV attacking the Tories - who are only too happy to see it fall.

Have you even been on this thread? Are you so intellectually voracious that you can't remember anything? The argument is that is will hit the lib-dems, and so the coalition and accentuate internal contradictions (based on either self interest or principles - doesn't matter) that will stalemate cuts on the parliamentary front. You've had this argument explained to you countless times on this thread. Why pretend otherwise? Why insult us so?

It doesn't need to, no one has argued that it will. There's posts above which demonstrate that AV has the potential to be less proportional than FPTP (you neglected to say what 'democratic' meant so i assume that you meant this. Please exapnd if you meant something different). Make an argument why "voting against AV seems to me to be very short-sighted" - given that a lot of us don't share the same aims as you. What is it short sighted in relation to?

When I was young and lived in Argyll, an election meant a choice between Tory or Liberal, as the Labour Party stood no chance, and, at that time, the SNP had yet to rise. It seems to me that in that situation it’s an obvious advantage for democracy (or, if you prefer, choice), if a voter can choose Labour, without fear of increasing the Tory’s majority. PR, of course requires a less important role for constituencies, but while PR is unavailable I think that AV is better for democracy while elections are governed by constituencies. To simply vote No, in order to spite the LD’s does appear to me to be short-sighted.

Back
Top Bottom