Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yes/No to AV - Urban Votes

You will vote.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But looking at the Australia example, where do the swings go to. Either Liberal to Labour, or Labour to Liberal. One Green MP gets in. That's it. So AV throws up a slight "game of chance" to select two parties with near-identical policies. Some choice!

I agree AV is rubbish, but to my mind slightly less rubbish than pure FPTP.

:D

Wolfie is obviously entitled to his opinions. It's just that this "fairer" mantra (not just from him) has been devoid of evidence.

Looking at it from a purely mathematical point of view, it can be seen to be fairer because it is producing a result on the basis of more information. More information is fed by voters into the electoral system, and that information is then weighed in the fairest (in a mathematical sense) way.

I'm guessing that is what many posters mean by 'fairer'. Effectively, it removes the need to ever vote tactically, which I think is a very good thing – I think a system that forces people into tactical voting is profoundly undemocratic, and clearly is not taking enough information at the polling booth to produce an equitable result.

I would throw that question back at the anti-AVers: Why would you object to being asked to give more information about your wishes?

Why does your mind say that, though?

Did you discount stuff like this? -

Jenkins Commission verdict on AV: http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm40/4090/chap-5.htm#c5-a
Report on AV in Australia: http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/es/esy/esy_au

And if so, why? What grounds?

Jenkins left it broadly neutral about whether AV was more or less proportional. He said it it COULD be less proportional sometimes, and ergo more proportional others. I've never claimed that AV is more proportional.

I've briefly read your Australian link a couple of times (at work) and I'm not quite getting why you've posted it up so much. In an nutshell what's the point I'm missing?

It's nothing to do with the amount of people turning up to vote - I agree there is no evidence that AV would have increased this. I'm talking about the fact the marginality of seats would have increased and hence the number of people who have a real say would have increased. In most UK elections the only people who really count are a few hundred thousand in the marginal constituencies and AV would have at least inreased that number.

it's chimeric though, it doesn't actually significate anything except "a few more people can feel good about voting".

Looking at the results of Australian elections compared to UK ones, more seats change hands on a given swing - hence the increase in marginality.

And yet, in Australia, there's the same problem as here. The main parties exercise hegemony at national level, as well as in many of the states at state government level. What's the point of seats changing hands with a slightly greater regularity if all that means is that neo-lib cunt A holds the seat rather than neo-lib cunt B?

Very little point, VP. But again, that's not an argument to vote for the current system, and the way this referendum has been arranged, it really is a vote for AV or for the current system. Clearly there is an option missing on the ballot paper, but is the absence of a 'neither of the above' option a reason to vote 'no'?

Looking at it from a purely mathematical point of view, it can be seen to be fairer because it is producing a result on the basis of more information. More information is fed by voters into the electoral system, and that information is then weighed in the fairest (in a mathematical sense) way.

Unfortunately, electoral politics have nowhere near the logical predicates that mathematics has, so a mathematical perspective isn;t really helpful.

I'm guessing that is what many posters mean by 'fairer'. Effectively, it removes the need to ever vote tactically, which I think is a very good thing – I think a system that forces people into tactical voting is profoundly undemocratic, and clearly is not taking enough information at the polling booth to produce an equitable result.

It doesn't remove the need, though, it modifies it into a different form. Instead of tactical voting to keep candidate X out, you vote for who you'd prefer if your chosen candidate doesn't cut the mustard.

I would throw that question back at the anti-AVers: Why would you object to being asked to give more information about your wishes?

It's not a case of objecting to giving more information, it's a case of objecting to a system whose function will be to effectively cement the three main political parties into place.

Very little point, VP. But again, that's not an argument to vote for the current system, and the way this referendum has been arranged, it really is a vote for AV or for the current system. Clearly there is an option missing on the ballot paper, but is the absence of a 'neither of the above' option a reason to vote 'no'?

I'd say it's not the reason to vote "no", but it's a reason alongside many others that, taken together, convince me that voting "no" makes more sense than voting "yes".

Yes, tactical voting is merely displaced to the ranking of preferences - and it essentially makes all votes tactical - it actually expands tactical voting massively.

Incorrect - AV's 2nd/3rd etc preferences have been used tactically in Australia to keep out "marginal" parties - it was actually used in this way to defeat One Nation. The various far-left/far-right etc grouplets also lose out by tactical voting on both sides of the fence. So if anything, it increases tactical voting.

The current system cements the three main parties into place, though, just as surely as AV, if not more so.

I think a mathematical view is helpful - to me at least - because there is an issue of the amount of information the election result is being based on - av provides more information. I can't see that as anything but a good thing.

Incorrect - AV's 2nd/3rd etc preferences have been used tactically in Australia to keep out "marginal" parties - it was actually used in this way to defeat One Nation. The various far-left/far-right etc grouplets also lose out by tactical voting on both sides of the fence. So if anything, it increases tactical voting.

How is that 'tactical' voting? Your 2nd/3rd prefs etc are a means to express your most hated candidate. That's part of its function to me - in a three horse race, for instance, under AV you can say who you would most like and who you would least like. Under so-called fptp (I agree with an earlier poster that this is a misnomer - there is no post in this system - AV is true fptp) you only get to say who you would most like, so expressing anything else requires an attempt to second-guess the result, which is what I mean by tactical voting, and which is why I think any system that makes people do this is undemocratic.

Yes, tactical voting is merely displaced to the ranking of preferences - and it essentially makes all votes tactical - it actually expands tactical voting massively.

What do you mean by 'tactical voting', though? I mean something very specific by it – voting according to how you think others will vote, and going for a candidate who isn't your real preference as a result of that second-guessing of others. Under what circumstances would AV make you place a candidate you liked less than another higher up in the preferences?

That fits exactly what happens in Australia - parties publish list of how you should rank candidates to achieve a given outcome - i.e stop the tory getting in or whatever. It happens - it's no good pointing to an ideal model when that's just not what happens.

Can you outline a realistic scenario in which this would happen in the UK's version of the system?

( I accept that this is almost certainly academic - everyone seems to think that no is going to win.)

I've briefly read your Australian link a couple of times (at work) and I'm not quite getting why you've posted it up so much. In an nutshell what's the point I'm missing?
In a nutshell: AV funnels votes to the big two.

As to Jenkins he says that AV "So far from doing much to relieve disproportionality, it is capable of substantially adding to it", and " would fail to address several of the more significant defects of FPTP", and far from ending the safe seat (as the Yes campaign claimed) "most seats in the country would remain safe".

AV is therefore change rather than reform, and is actually change for something a bit worse.

I've yet to see why you think it's "fairer".

It is change rather than reform, yes, but actually change for something a bit less bad, imo.

Why? Because, as I said above, they're taking more information about what you would like and processing that information in a statistically fair way.

Can you outline a realistic scenario in which this would happen in the UK's version of the system?

( I accept that this is almost certainly academic - everyone seems to accept that no is going to win.)

A realistic scenario where people would use their preference votes to block others they don't want to see elected or sacrificed what they really want to pile on someone who could win to stop someone they really hate getting elected? Yes i can - general elections where there's two large parties one smaller one and handful of regional parties and tiny groups. That's exactly what will happen - it's exactly what happened in Australia. The fears and motivations that lead people to vote tactically under FPTP will still exist under AV - why on earth would they just dissappear?

But under AV you can do that without having to second-guess how other people are going to vote. That is what I mean by 'tactical voting' and it stinks that anyone should feel forced to do it, imo.

But under AV you can do that without having to second-guess how other people are going to vote. That is what I mean by 'tactical voting' and it stinks that anyone should feel forced to do it, imo.

Of course you'd be ranking them in order based on second guessing likely outcomes! That's the whole point of it!

So, under av, you can put as small and obscure a party as you like as 1st pref, but if you put another obscure party as your 2nd, you risk allowing 'most hated' party x in because your 2nd pref wasn't counted for the party most likely to defeat x. Is that how it would work?

Surely it wouldn't work like that, though, because if x gets up to over 50% in the second round, your vote can't help anyway, and if they don't get to over 50%, your third pref can count. Etc Etc all down the line. The system is designed to prevent the need for second-guessing, surely.

^^^^What are the odds that these figures will be spun by Yes to AV that not enough people voted, so morally the (more than likely No) result doesn't count? "There wasn't a 50% voter threshold" etc.

It is change rather than reform, yes, but actually change for something a bit less bad, imo.

Why? Because, as I said above, they're taking more information about what you would like and processing that information in a statistically fair way.

How is it less bad? Australian and Canadian electoral reformers reject AV precisely because it prevents smaller parties getting a foothold.

The Greens won Brighton with the lowest ever FPTP victory in British history (IIRC) - 31%

The Greens were expected to have a good shot at that seat, so there were very few Green voters voting tactically for other parties.

Look up the Brighton results, and give us some plausible analysis on how AV would have made it easier for Lucas to win that seat.

You cannot wave your hands about and tell us that AV is fairer when there it has no track record of making space for small parties, and by definition it requires them to have a higher % of support than they need under FPTP.

Why are you so uninterested in the actual experience of AV elsewhere? I've given you an entire academic paper to peruse, and you're still coming here with uninformed bullshit based on propaganda materials and no actual evidence.

^^^^What are the odds that these figures will be spun by Yes to AV that not enough people voted, so morally the (more than likely No) result doesn't count? "There wasn't a 50% voter threshold" etc.

That's precisely why a NO vote, which is partly due to a strong "NO to AV, YES to PR" campaign, makes meaningful electoral reform no less likely than a YES vote, and arguably makes it more likely than if we settled for a non-compromise designed to cement power for the larger parties and exclude the rest forever. How would we ever get PR under a system where their hegemony is completely unchallengeable?

What "NO to AV, YES to PR" campaign was that then?

This was a 'No to AV, YES to FPTP' campaign.... Yes to FPTP for bloody generations to come.

Back
Top Bottom