Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wtf is going on in Melbourne?

hitmouse

so defeated, thinks it's funny
Seems to be vax/anti-vax related, so could just go in one of the general threads, but those tend to move quite fast...
Anyway,

Shutting down the entire construction industry sounds like quite a major development, to put it mildly.

It does seem to be quite fucked up in Australia and especially in Melbourne! I've got a friend who's a nurse there and she says loads of people she knows are anti-vax and conspiracy loonies. Anyway, that Twitter above led me to this gem...

E_k6bEhXoAMY1Nx.jpg

Can any seismologists confirm whether such an intense concentration of stupidity can cause the ground to shake?

Can any seismologists confirm whether such an intense concentration of stupidity can cause the ground to shake?

Maybe there were a lot of gay people in the area - a well-known cause of natural disasters.

Melbournian here. The "construction" protests have been taken over by a few hundred antivax loons, their numbers are pretty small and the majority of construction workers are staying home as instructed.

The earthquake this morning was pretty wild though. And it came minutes after our State Premier said the police were deploying "special tactics" to deal with the protests today :hmm:

If the far right is getting involved so much in anti-vaxx perhaps it'll eventually harm itself by being so thoroughly associated with it.

yeh wildly optimistic I know :(

I’m afraid my cousin and her husband Melbourne have become antivaxxers. I’m not on Facebook but other family members tell me. It’s quite distressing. Her mum and dad are very upset.

They moved out there in the 80s, my cousins were in their teens. They come over every so often, and she always seemed very sensible. She’s a primary school teacher. So I think she just went down an internet rabbit hole.

I’m afraid my cousin and her husband Melbourne have become antivaxxers. I’m not on Facebook but other family members tell me. It’s quite distressing. Her mum and dad are very upset.

They moved out there in the 80s, my cousins were in their teens. They come over every so often, and she always seemed very sensible. She’s a primary school teacher. So I think she just went down an internet rabbit hole.
Sorry to hear that.

This was in the Crikey emailer on Tuesday, which puts it into some kind of context (caveats apply etc):

Tradies or neo-Nazis? Yesterday's protest had both

Union leaders were quick to blame yesterday’s anti-vaccine mandate protests at the CFMMEU headquarters in Melbourne on violent extremists. But the truth is a little more complicated. Cam Wilson reports on how the protest was attended by a mix of different groups, and how painting them as homogeneous risks playing into the hands of those on the fringes...

There's now this from Andy Fleming in Overland as well:

Links to this older background piece from the Guardian:

Which is confusingly partly based on research by an antifascist group called the White Rose Society, very much not to be confused with the other White Rose.

In my opinion this is what happens when the left abandons the concept of freedom (freedom of speech, freedom of expression, etc) as a good thing to be defended. It has left a vacuum in which the far-right has adopted the platform as their own.

Now many non-political people are gravitating to the right because the right are the only people advocating for those values (cynically and dishonestly advocating, of course)

An infuriating time for sure.

Very old friend in Queensland has done the same. Started by 'just asking questions' on facebook; now full on antivax all over insta/fb etc. Same with someone I've known for 20 years in Canada. Only connection with each other is that they're into yoga and homeopathy, are vaguely anti-govt and they live in the middle of nowhere. I've defriended both but know people who are keeping in touch.

Back
Top Bottom