Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Worst film you've ever seen?

I can see why some people would be impressed with the technological aspects of it but I can't see how that carried 9 odd hours of extremely tedious characters, dialogue and music. tbf I don't think the best film director in the world could have breathed life into tolkien's cliched tropes and imagery for me. My problem with the film is the source material as much as anything else.

That's interesting. Looking back from the current it's easy to see Tolkien as cliched, but that's mainly due to him creating these tropes in the first place (not the themes and characters, most of those are nicked) and establishing them as fantasy canon.

FWIW I loved the movies, but then again I was a teenage Tolkien nerd.

"Avatar" - I tried to watch it when it was on the telly earlier this year - switched it off after 30mins - that's bad esp when you consider that I lasted nearly an hour of "Moulin Rouge"..

Oh, and the only film I just could not make through to the bitter end: Uwe Boll's BloodRayne.

"Avatar" - I tried to watch it when it was on the telly earlier this year - switched it off after 30mins - that's bad esp when you consider that I lsted nearly an hour of "Moulin Rouge"..

Saw it on a plane half asleep. Terrible, absolutely woeful. Even the effects were boring as fuck.

I can see why some people would be impressed with the technological aspects of it but I can't see how that carried 9 odd hours of extremely tedious characters, dialogue and music. tbf I don't think the best film director in the world could have breathed life into tolkien's cliched tropes and imagery for me. My problem with the film is the source material as much as anything else.

I agree with you to some extend. I can't stand Tolkien and I too find the characters flat and uninteresting, but the films worked for me as visually spectacular adventures. I'm not enough of a fan to mount a proper defence for them though. I remember chucking the first LOTR book in the corner after about a hundred pages when I was 16 (in the mid-70s when it was considered required reading)

I'm curious to see how the Hobbit will work out visually. I've been a bit meh about the promo stuff out so far.

As for worst film? Must be some romcom or other.

*obligatory Boxing Helena mention*

A film which ends with "It was all a dream", a plot device that wouldn't have passed muster in a primary school English lesson.

Gone in 60 seconds. Not sure why I even went to watch it. Woeful, actually asked for my money back after the film.....

The Island of Dr. Moreau was the last film I remember walking out of the cinema before it finished.

I gave up on Moulin Rouge after about half an hour. Don't often do that. Dunno if it was the worst though.

"Avatar" - I tried to watch it when it was on the telly earlier this year - switched it off after 30mins - that's bad esp when you consider that I lasted nearly an hour of "Moulin Rouge"..
I had a copy of Avatar with Russian subtitles for the blue things - it was so cliched that you didn't need them translating. Also, the last 10 minutes was missing which made no difference as the ending was going to be predictable and I didn't care if my prediction was right or not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102618/

The Owl - obscure made for TV pilot - Adrian Paul is in it - he played the Highlander in the tv series - directed by Alan Smithee :hmm:

caught it on night on telly - so bad I had to watch it to the end etc

lots of pointless flashbacks - he is out for revenge - his wife and child killed by wrong uns - includes a baddy who raps and has a henchman carry around a ghetto blaster so he can rap to it :confused:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102618/

The Owl - obscure made for TV pilot - Adrian Paul is in it - he played the Highlander in the tv series - directed by Alan Smithee :hmm:

caught it on night on telly - so bad I had to watch it to the end etc

lots of pointless flashbacks - he is out for revenge - his wife and child killed by wrong uns - includes a baddy who raps and has a henchman carry around a ghetto blaster so he can rap to it :confused:

That's not a film. :mad:

The one that occurs to me which I find teeth-grindingly irritating, but which doesn't have a single trace of grace-saving so-bad-its-good-ness, is Vera Drake. There are at least two old threads on which I expound on why so I won't go on about it agai,n but even though I haven't seen it since it was released its actually making me feel wound up just thinking about it.

HIghlander II, Showdown in Little Tokyo, Alien III.

There's more, a lot more, but they come to mind firstly, in that order. (I have an orderly mind)

johnwayne.jpg

Want quality..?

Want realistic action..?

Want a plot that makes sense and no incredibly dodgy right wing personal agenda extremely thinly concealed beneath a barely-there veneer of supposedly being an honest, blokes-love-it, action/adventure romp..?

You'll want to watch something else, then.

Actually, anything else would do for starters.

I don't have a problem with trashy action films or romcoms which turn out to be just as trashy and devoid of artistic merit as you'd expect. What bothers me is films that think they're really fucking clever but aren't, and which will often fool the sort of critics who feel obliged to write glowing reviews of anything that looks and feels like something clever and arty.

I maintain therefore that the worst film ever made is The Thin Red Line. Beneath the veneer of smug artistry it's as empty as a cake shop after a visit from Eric Pickles. It's the worst kind of cynical hackery.

Just noticed that Uncle Monty from Withnail & I is on that poster, too, although I don't remember him in the film. Probably not a bad thing. He crops up in some odd places. That 'Pie In The Sky' telly series on one hand and then 'Gandhi' on the other.

that one made to look like it was done with a hand held video camera and with some monster... i was rooting for the monster by abiut 15 mins in.

eta cloverfield

Back
Top Bottom