Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World War III

This is exactly the 'not worth trying' cliché that I have a bugbear about.

You mean I should move house to get out of the fireball radius?
Start stocking up on bottled water and shotgun shells?

If there is no warning then all bets are off anyway. If there is warning then human behaviour will be important. People attempting to flee potential target areas (big cities, airports, docks, etc). Gridlocked roads, people not going to work, power and water shortages, martial law, riots. Who knows? Or none of that, but something else. Unpredictable. I'm not stopping anyone else from trying to plan for the unknown. I'm not going to, that's all.

If you're sure you live close enough to a definite enemy target to be fatally injured in the initial assault then you should have an idea of where you should run to when Putin drops one on Kyiv.

You think first strike will be Kyiv with a tactical? I would have expected somewhere further East.

You think first strike will be Kyiv with a tactical? I would have expected somewhere further East.
They keep going on about decision making centres and as far as I can see it would be fuck all use in the field; but I am not a Russian general.

Anyway, my two points are:

A nuclear armed nation should have nuclear shelters and the 'can't do anything' cynicism just absolves the government of its civic defense responsibilities.

Even if you receive a fatal dose of radiation in the initial blast you'll be glad of somewhere comfy to sit and a cup of water while you die.

The chaos will be the days after Russia uses a nuclear weapon, but before the NATO+ response which I will suspect take a bit (days?). I think the time between that response and then Russia's response will be shorter. Can't see how it won't escalate into some wider nuclear exchange tbh, albeit maybe less than a full on global nuclear exchange. I would bet it'll be limited to Europe.

Fair enough, I just have a bugbear about the attitude towards civil defense in this country. Even the yanks are dusting off their shelters.

I've not seen evidence of the "the yanks" doing anything meaningful. The only people I see being serious about building shelters are the morbidly wealthy, as they begin to realize that, with wealth inequality at such a high tipping point, they're going to have to plan for the day when the "zombies"* climb the wall. (They'd rather do this, than pay workers a living wage). There's no articles equivalent to the 1954, Life magazine, with a seven-page spread, showing people how to build and stock a shelter.

I have noticed over the last couple of years that the FEMA website has changed it recommendations for what the average person should prepare. It went from "a few candles and canned goods, and some board games" to "six months food, prescription medications, and some bottled water."

* "zombies" is a term I hear in prepper circles for poor people and those who don't prepare, who will be desperate when "SHTF."

They keep going on about decision making centres and as far as I can see it would be fuck all use in the field; but I am not a Russian general.

Well, the tactical nukes are called that for a reason.

An earlier John Sweeney 'serious nuclear conversations are being conducted'

Lubrication with attractive young women is the sensible tactic tbf.

Sweeney is a LibDem but he’s got big bollocks. I’ve got up to some hair-raising antics in the past but doorstepping Putin in Russia? Fuck that.

Last edited:
Anyway in terms of prep the emergency homeless/camping gear will do. Green aerogel in the bike tyres. Hammock, tarp, minus 30 rated sleeping bag. Sturdy hiking boots and a couple hexy stoves plus tablets. Wind up radio, head torch. Collapsible bow. Could do with some panniers for the bike. It's probably enough to keep one step ahead of the remnants of the British army who are rounding cits up for work gangs.

Nah, stay at home, much better option usually.

We're getting a few extra stores in. If a nuke gets used by Russia we'll do a huge stockpiling shop asap (have a list already), build a shelter in the central room of the house, fill water containers, etc. and then see what comes next. We're on the edges of a small city, unlikely to be a major target but a few places (cities and an important base) nearby would be in a full nuclear exchange, but unless caught outside would likely survive the initial blasts.

Nah, stay at home, much better option usually.

We're getting a few extra stores in. If a nuke gets used by Russia we'll do a huge stockpiling shop asap (have a list already), build a shelter in the central room of the house, fill water containers, etc. and then see what comes next. We're on the edges of a small city, unlikely to be a major target but a few places (cities and an important base) nearby would be in a full nuclear exchange, but unless caught outside would likely survive the initial blasts.

It's relatively cheap to do some basis preps. A few 100# bags of rice and other dry goods, put into food safe buckets under the bed, makes you better off than 90% of people out there. Its not only a prep against nuclear Armageddon, but garden variety unemployment.

The Mormons have a food calculator for this, since it's part of their religion (and history).

Last edited:
Colin Furze built an entire mini bunker complex under his house and got planning permission. I doubt that an underground bunker is going to have much impact on the local character, for reasons that should be obvious. Honestly I think local soil conditions and the cost involved are the bigger concerns.

I'm also not a fan. Fatalism is one of those self-fulfilling prophecies and it's a mindset I genuinely have trouble understanding. Of course you're gonna perish if you decide to do nothing and just let the doom come.
For years pub bores have been telling us how they'll be standing outside naked or on top of a roof or whatever to ensure that they die in the initial blast. That sounds like a really fucking stupid idea to me unless you fancy dying of burns over the course of a couple of days.

For years pub bores have been telling us how they'll be standing outside naked or on top of a roof or whatever to ensure that they die in the initial blast. That sounds like a really fucking stupid idea to me unless you fancy dying of burns over the course of a couple of days.

You have to admit that it has a certain style: :)

Given we might have blackouts etc. this winter (plus you know that pandemic recently...) getting a few extra supplies and things like a LED lantern and gas stove in are a sensible investment if you can afford it. It makes you less of a burden on wider society if things do go to shit, and you have stuff to share for those that can't afford or haven't been able to prepare a bit.

hitmouse mentioned this Podcast somewhere else, but it's a nice and mostly decent take on prepping from a more collective social perspective. (The episodes are a bit hit and miss and very US-centric, but plenty are worth a listen.)

Given we might have blackouts etc. this winter (plus you know that pandemic recently...) getting a few extra supplies and things like a LED lantern and gas stove in are a sensible investment if you can afford it. It makes you less of a burden on wider society if things do go to shit, and you have stuff to share for those that can't afford or haven't been able to prepare a bit.

hitmouse mentioned this Podcast somewhere else, but it's a nice and mostly decent take on prepping from a more collective social perspective. (The episodes are a bit hit and miss and very US-centric, but plenty are worth a listen.)

If you can't afford that, just buy an extra can of food a week of what you normally eat. Wash up some recycled plastic jugs and fill them with water and a couple drops of bleach.

Thinking about this some more, I think it was this Guardian article about Grey Swans and super rich preppers that caused me to stress the thread -

This sums up the modern world in one paragraph:

These people once showered the world with madly optimistic business plans for how technology might benefit human society. Now they’ve reduced technological progress to a video game that one of them wins by finding the escape hatch. Will it be Jeff Bezos migrating to space, Thiel to his New Zealand compound, or Mark Zuckerberg to his virtual metaverse? And these catastrophising billionaires are the presumptive winners of the digital economy – the supposed champions of the survival-of-the-fittest business landscape that’s fuelling most of this speculation to begin with.

The tech bros are building a world they don't even want to live in themselves.

The chaos will be the days after Russia uses a nuclear weapon, but before the NATO+ response which I will suspect take a bit (days?). I think the time between that response and then Russia's response will be shorter. Can't see how it won't escalate into some wider nuclear exchange tbh, albeit maybe less than a full on global nuclear exchange. I would bet it'll be limited to Europe.
Phew - thats a relief.

“Russia has repeatedly given a chance to the command of the satanists to come to their senses. But we were not heard or ignored. Now everything will be different, we will dictate the terms,” Putin said

From the Graun.

I think Putin’s been watching Scum.

Back
Top Bottom