Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World cup finalists from last time

Yes. But that is completely beside the point (and I happen to think Pelé was better anyway).

I dislike Maradona for a raft of reasons. He is a cheat on and off the pitch. He has been banned three times for drugs, owes millions in unpaid taxes despite being a millionaire, has done virtually nothing for the good of the game beyond projects which serve to satisfy his own personal ambitions, and he can't even accept that some people consider Pelé to be a better football player (he famously walked out of a FIFA ceremony which was giving them both awards before Pelé went to collect his). He is an utter cock.

I quite like the fact he is a rogue personally.

I think the reason he owes such a phenomenal amount of tax, btw, is precisely because he spunked it all away on coke and cheeseburgers. Hence why he often appears to be on the verge of bankruptcy. Also, the fact he was scammed for huge amounts by the Camorra. Maybe he has a few more quid now he's cleaned up his act a bit though. He was certainly completely skinted when he fucked off to Cuba.

Pele was no Maradona. Even Brasilians recognise that, which is why they worship Garincha to an even greater degree. Pele was a goal machine, probably the greatest ever, and if that is your sole marker of a great player then he was the greatest - but he didn't play the same type of entertaining football as Maradona. The way I see it, you'd rather have Pele play for your team but you'd rather watch Maradona. Also, he hates Pele because the feeling is mutual - Pele never misses a trick to put the boot in. Tbh, Pele never misses a trick to put the boot into any player he thinks might threaten his hegemony on Greatest Ever Player TM. Pele really is a cock.

I quite like the fact he is a rogue personally.

I think the reason he owes such a phenomenal amount of tax, btw, is precisely because he spunked it all away on coke and cheeseburgers. Hence why he often appears to be on the verge of bankruptcy. Also, the fact he was scammed for huge amounts by the Camorra. Maybe he has a few more quid now he's cleaned up his act a bit though. He was certainly completely skinted when he fucked off to Cuba.

Pele was no Maradona. Even Brasilians recognise that, which is why they worship Garincha to an even greater degree. Pele was a goal machine, probably the greatest ever, and if that is your sole marker of a great player then he was the greatest - but he didn't play the same type of entertaining football as Maradona. The way I see it, you'd rather have Pele play for your team but you'd rather watch Maradona. Also, he hates Pele because the feeling is mutual - Pele never misses a trick to put the boot in. Tbh, Pele never misses a trick to put the boot into any player he thinks might threaten his hegemony on Greatest Ever Player TM. Pele really is a cock.

I'm not disputing Maradona's footballing genius back in the day. And comparing him with Pelé is not comparing like with like I know. However, when it comes down to having to cheat to gain gain an advantage then it does damage to his reputation as a great football player.

Even if he had nothing but his reputation to go on, what has he actually done for the game? Drugs bans and firearms offences aside, he failed to apologise for over 20 years about the 'hand of God' and as you say has spunked tons of cash away on coke and cheeseburgers resulting in twice being hospitalised. I can't see any reference to any charity work, or honourable doings apart from the odd charity football game.

Pelé may well think a lot of himself, but at least he doesn't resort to staged walkouts and refusal to take part in the FIFA ceremony because an equally good player is also getting accolades. It looked childish at best and Maradona recently calling him arrogant and saying he should "go back to the museum" just further exemplifies his own buffoonery.

Why exactly do you think Pelé is he a cock anyway?

Even if he had nothing but his reputation to go on, what has he actually done for the game?

Filled hearts with wonder.

skyscraper said:
Pelé may well think a lot of himself, but at least he doesn't resort to staged walkouts and refusal to take part in the FIFA ceremony because an equally good player is also getting accolades.

Wasn't that bit of squabbling about the fact that FIFA held a public vote for best player ever and then decided to give the award jointly to Pele anyway after Maradona won the vote?

Only English people and Brazilians prefer Pele to Maradona.

I've always wondered why such a genius football player had to resort to cheating twice in the World Cup to gain an advantage.

Wasn't that bit of squabbling about the fact that FIFA held a public vote for best player ever and then decided to give the award jointly to Pele anyway after Maradona won the vote?

What's FIFA's decision got to do with Pele though? It's like he can't accept that any other football player is considered to be as good as him.

If he had reason to have beef with anyone then surely it was with FIFA for interfering with the result of the poll. It was hardly Pele's fault - but Maradona turned up to accept FIFAs award anyway (big man that his is) and shunned Pele in the process like he had personally interfered or something. Wanker.

Precisely.

I've always wondered why such a genius football player had to resort to cheating twice in the World Cup to gain an advantage.

What's FIFA's decision got to do with Pele though? It's like he can't accept that any other football player is considered to be as good as him.

If he had reason to have beef with anyone then surely it was with FIFA for interfering with the result of the poll. It was hardly Pele's fault - but Maradona turned up to accept FIFAs award anyway (big man that his is) and shunned Pele in the process like he had personally interfered or something. Wanker.

Fifa and Pele are two sides of the same commercial relationship. That's why so many footballers hate Pele, including most of the top Brasilians of the past few generations. Pele briefly criticised Joao Havelange and Ricardo Teixera - the father and son-in-law corrupt combo of CBF and Fifa fame - but then they brought him on board and gave him a cut of the loot, and ever since he has been their favourite high profile attack dog. Pele is indisputably a cock.

Pots and kettles and that

Hoddle--Waddle-Diamond-Lights-193805.jpg

You've found the only photo of Waddle without a mullet.

He does have a mullet, t'is just obscured. You can just about make out the give away tufts hanging over the collar of his snazzy black jacket.

Anyway, we were all rocking the mullet back in the day. Some, however, have tried and failed to bring it back. I give you the pseudo-mullet:

Beckham_1529160c.jpg

I'm not disputing Maradona's footballing genius back in the day. And comparing him with Pelé is not comparing like with like I know. However, when it comes down to having to cheat to gain an advantage then it does damage to his reputation as a great football player.

Do you consider him one of, if not the, finest footballers ever?

Yes. But that is completely beside the point (and I happen to think Pelé was better anyway).

So which is it Skyscraper? Does his personal conduct damage his reputation as a football player, or is his "footballing genius" completely beside the point to your dislike for him because of his cheating, drug taking and tax evasion.

Maradona is my all-time favourite player, like George Best, a flawed human being, but also like Best, a total one off, gold-plated, diamond encrusted genius.

In pure footballing terms, Maradona is far superior in technique to Pele or any other footballer you care to mention. I know Napoli fans who watched him week in and week out and they never saw or will see his like again. You can simply run through youtube and be utterly amazed at his control, technique, ability to hold off defenders while dribbling, his shooting, goal scoring, crossing, and will to win. Maradona v Pele? Really, no contest, Diego all the way.

He took a club that had never won the league title, won it twice, as well as the national cup and uefa cup. Where did Pele play? Santos and New York Cosmos.

The real test is this skyscraper. Do you consider Maradona's second goal against England in 86 to be the greatest individual goal scored in a world cup?

I'm a London Italian, utterly bored at Italy's old guard, wanting England to do well, but even with Capello, can't get over the feeling that this team has some serious problems to overcome, not least the pampered players, confused national psyche and the twisted press.

On the other hand I'm already drooling over Messi's skill and team play at this world cup - and he hasn't even started playing anywhere close to his best yet - and the Argentina attack are looking good all round. And I would loov it, just loove it, if he won the world cup, just to see the look on Lin-ache-er's face (he really struggles to acknowledge how good that second goal against England in 86 was).

So, come on Diego, and Forza Argentina!

Fifa and Pele are two sides of the same commercial relationship. That's why so many footballers hate Pele, including most of the top Brasilians of the past few generations. Pele briefly criticised Joao Havelange and Ricardo Teixera - the father and son-in-law corrupt combo of CBF and Fifa fame - but then they brought him on board and gave him a cut of the loot, and ever since he has been their favourite high profile attack dog. Pele is indisputably a cock.

Yeah I'm no apologist for Pele and his commercial dealings. In fact I know little about what did or did not happen between him and Joao Havelange and Ricardo Teixera. It does seem to be shrouded in mystery but let's assume even he did sell out. It pales in comparison to the goings on in the life of Maradona. Rather than get embroiled in drugs cheating and shooting guns at journalists, he has done loads for charity and is generally regarded as a good ambassador for the sport. But like I said, I'm no apologist for Pele. I just happen to think he was the greatest player ever. Maradona is in my eyes, an overweight prick.

So which is it Skyscraper? Does his personal conduct damage his reputation as a football player, or is his "footballing genius" completely beside the point to your dislike for him because of his cheating, drug taking and tax evasion.

His footballing genius has nothing to do with my dislike of him. It is exactly everything else that I've mentioned. However, I'm also saying that his personal conduct does his reputation as a player no favours. That reputation goes beyond natural ability.

Maradona is my all-time favourite player, like George Best, a flawed human being, but also like Best, a total one off, gold-plated, diamond encrusted genius.

In pure footballing terms, Maradona is far superior in technique to Pele or any other footballer you care to mention. I know Napoli fans who watched him week in and week out and they never saw or will see his like again. You can simply run through youtube and be utterly amazed at his control, technique, ability to hold off defenders while dribbling, his shooting, goal scoring, crossing, and will to win. Maradona v Pele? Really, no contest, Diego all the way.

I've already said it's not comparing like for like. I happen to think Pele is a better player. I'm not just talking about technique.

I'd rather watch a player who hasn't been banned three times for drugs and cheated a goal with his hand in the World Cup - irrespective of technique.

He took a club that had never won the league title, won it twice, as well as the national cup and uefa cup. Where did Pele play? Santos and New York Cosmos.

Pele couldn't play outside of Brazil because the government declared him a national treasure so he couldn't be sold. But numerous big European clubs wanted to sign him. Its not comparing like for like. When he played for New York Cosmos it was only after he came out of semi-retirement and he was well past his prime.

The real test is this skyscraper. Do you consider Maradona's second goal against England in 86 to be the greatest individual goal scored in a world cup?

It's certainly one of the best, if not the best individual goal scored. I happen to think Baggio's goal vs. Czechoslovakia in USA 94 was arguably as good. It certainly had a better finish. But take nothing away from Maradona, THAT goal was awesome. It confuses me why someone so exceptionally talented would resort to cheating in the same game so blatantly and then deny it for years. Why did he just not just man up and admit he was a dirty cheat?

I'm a London Italian, utterly bored at Italy's old guard, wanting England to do well, but even with Capello, can't get over the feeling that this team has some serious problems to overcome, not least the pampered players, confused national psyche and the twisted press.

On the other hand I'm already drooling over Messi's skill and team play at this world cup - and he hasn't even started playing anywhere close to his best yet - and the Argentina attack are looking good all round. And I would loov it, just loove it, if he won the world cup, just to see the look on Lin-ache-er's face (he really struggles to acknowledge how good that second goal against England in 86 was).

So, come on Diego, and Forza Argentina!

I for one will look forward to seeing Maradona cry again when they fail to win it like he did against West Germany in Italia 90 :)

Very moralistic attitude to football. Do you apply the same thinking to other areas? 'I don't like that painting, even though it is beautiful, because the chap who painted it was a bit of a cunt who treated his wife badly'. Odd.

I'm surprised you are not lobbying the FA to drop Terry. Or Gerrard. Or Rooney. Or babestation financier SWP.

What about Gasgoigne, for example?

I don't think disliking a team because the manager is a cheating cunt at football is unreasonable.

Has any English player been banned three times for drug offences?

I don't think disliking a team because the manager is a cheating cunt at football is unreasonable.

Has any English player been banned three times for drug offences?

Is three the magic number?

Get banned once, fine. Banned twice, okay. Banned three times, burn him!

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande

Is that where you get your racist jokes from?

What racist jokes are they?

English people and people who wear England shirts are not one and the same, you know. As far as I'm aware, dressing like a cunt isn't yet mandatory east of the border. Believe it or not, there are even Welsh people who don the Team England top. Fuck knows why, like.

I have nothing against English people. I'd be a bit fucked if I did. I just don't like England fans.

Ooh, you don't like Arsenal. You racist bastard.

What racist jokes are they?

English people and people who wear England shirts are not one and the same, you know. As far as I'm aware, dressing like a cunt isn't yet mandatory east of the border. Believe it or not, there are even Welsh people who don the Team England top. Fuck knows why, like.

I have nothing against English people. I'd be a bit fucked if I did. I just don't like England fans.

This one...

What's pink and goes on a prick?

A condom.

What's blue and goes on a prick?

A blue condom.

What's red and goes on a prick?

A red condom.

What's white and goes on a prick?

An England shirt.

I'm here all week.

This one...

Yes. But if you read the actual post, you'll see that in fact you are very very stupid for calling it racist. See:

'Mazin'.

im thinking of putting abet on Italy to win outright 22/1 at the mo - they're far from out of this
France are 200/1 - also worth a £1

France is out.. :p

mustnotlaughbecauseEnglandmightbenext