Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

working class, what does it mean?

To be fair I think most members of the SWP would disagree with much of what he says. After all, it would mean the vast majority of the SWP is excluded from the working class.

What about union’s uberdog are the NUJ and NASWUT not proper unions as their members aren’t workers?

Writers own printing presses and distribution networks capable of producing thousands of copies of books and delivering them to bookshops throughout the world?

You're evidently not disagreeing with me, why not direct your post towards articul8?

butchersapron said:
I note that housewives, the unemployed and the retired are handily airbrushed out of the working class by this crude useless aproach.

I'm not guilty of holding to any overly 'strict' definitions of class - just holding onto basic ones. Housewives and the retired are not products of a basic capitalist system, but of a confusingly postmodern capitalist system which has been perverted by reformist policies. Their existance outside the professions is not only unnatural for capitalism, it is also in the long-run untenable. In practice, many working class women were able to become housewives in the 1950s/60s. This does, in effect, remove them from the 'working class'. As does the ability of workers to retire. In Britain we are faced with a scenario where this must be recognised, yet those with backgrounds in working-class environments (be they retired or housewives) must be included in the movement.

What you are suggesting is that class in any meaningful sense is no longer relevant. Any other suggestion than my own renders the idea of an 'economic' and not socially based class system asunder. Any other definition of class accepts the postmodern argument that class is, in today's society, not an economic position but a social and cultural 'perspective'. I do not oppose such a position on that basis, I oppose it because it is incorrect. The vast bulk of society still work in actual 'working class' environments, even in the postmodern mess that is modern Britain. Increasing numbers in proportion to society will begin to work in working class environments as the years go on, and as the welfare, benefits and high wages necessary to maintain the retired, the housewives or 'other' become increasingly hard to come by.

Morons such as yourself will obviously misconstrue my arguments as having a purist streak, seeking to alienate all 'non workers' from the movement or other such bull. This, despite the fact I consistently re-iterate my actual position. Hey, I guess it would be a bit much for me to expect so many people, all bordering on mental incapacity, to learn to read overnight. It would be exceptionally unrealistic for me to expect any of you to actually read Marx - and on top of reading Marx understand him. Still, I feel I've got some kind of duty to ATTEMPT to educate you R-tards on your own philosophies a little bit. What can I say? At the end of the day I'm just quite a 'giving' guy - I like to help.

What about union’s uberdog are the NUJ and NASWUT not proper unions as their members aren’t workers?

So you think all 'proper unions' are working class?

For the record, I would include many in the NUJ as members of the working class - its membership includes all those working for many newspapers in reality.

No, they're 'proper unions' all-right. Proper unions which, in many cases, forward a progressive leftwing position and encourage professional solidarity. Just like the British Medical Association.

I'm not guilty of holding to any overly 'strict' definitions of class - just holding onto basic ones. Housewives and the retired are not products of a basic capitalist system, but of a confusingly postmodern capitalist system which has been perverted by reformist policies. Their existance outside the professions is not only unnatural for capitalism, it is also in the long-run untenable. In practice, many working class women were able to become housewives in the 1950s/60s. This does, in effect, remove them from the 'working class'. As does the ability of workers to retire. In Britain we are faced with a scenario where this must be recognised, yet those with backgrounds in working-class environments (be they retired or housewives) must be included in the movement.

In the early decades of the 20th century many women stayed at home, the work they did, cleaning, cooking etc. was vital to ensuring that the men were able to go to work, and also to ensure the next generation of workers.

It had been recognised by such as Cadbury, Rowntree, et al that a healthy worker is more productive and so able to generate more surplus labour and hence more profit for the bosses. The role of women was supportive but no less important to capitalism that the role of the worker, indeed, maybe more so in that it was unpaid.

What you are suggesting is that class in any meaningful sense is no longer relevant. Any other suggestion than my own renders the idea of an 'economic' and not socially based class system asunder. Any other definition of class accepts the postmodern argument that class is, in today's society, not an economic position but a social and cultural 'perspective'. I do not oppose such a position on that basis, I oppose it because it is incorrect. The vast bulk of society still work in actual 'working class' environments, even in the postmodern mess that is modern Britain. Increasing numbers in proportion to society will begin to work in working class environments as the years go on, and as the welfare, benefits and high wages necessary to maintain the retired, the housewives or 'other' become increasingly hard to come by.

Ther is some truth in this, you do however IMO discard from the working class a growing number of people, that are the modern equivalent of the day labourer, those that are forced to sell their labour on a short term basis. and would not get work unless they have their own tools.

Morons such as yourself will obviously misconstrue my arguments as having a purist streak, seeking to alienate all 'non workers' from the movement or other such bull. This, despite the fact I consistently re-iterate my actual position. Hey, I guess it would be a bit much for me to expect so many people, all bordering on mental incapacity, to learn to read overnight. It would be exceptionally unrealistic for me to expect any of you to actually read Marx - and on top of reading Marx understand him. Still, I feel I've got some kind of duty to ATTEMPT to educate you R-tards on your own philosophies a little bit. What can I say?

Pointless abuse.

At the end of the day I'm just quite a 'giving' guy - I like to help.

Just like a certain Mr. A. Blair?

For the record, I would include many in the NUJ as members of the working class - its membership includes all those working for many newspapers in reality.

right, so if you're employed by a national newspaper you are working class. So your revolution has these Guardian "workers" on board:
Alan Rusbridger (Cranleigh); political editor Patrick Wintour (Westminster); leader writer Madeleine Bunting (Queen Mary’s, Yorkshire); policy editor Jonathan Freedland (University College School); columnist Polly Toynbee (Badminton); executive editor Ian Katz (University College School); security affairs editor Richard Norton Taylor (King’s School, Canterbury); arts editor-in-chief Clare Margetson (Marlborough College); literary editor Clare Armitstead (Bedales); public services editor David Brindle (Bablake); city editor Julia Finch (King’s High, Warwick).; environment editor John Vidal (St Bees); fashion editor Jess Cartner-Morley (City of london School for Girls); G3 editor Janine Gibson (Walthamstow Hall); northern editor Martin Wainwright (Shreswbury); and industrial editor David Gow (St Peter’s, York); Seumas Milne, an Old Wykehamist (Winchester College) and at Balliol; the Observer’s Andrew Rawnsley (Rugby School and Cambridge U); George Monbiot (Stowe); Zoe Williams (Godolphin and Latymer)
Salt of the eath proles every one

but freelancers trying to eek out a living on what amounts to piece-rates are petit-bourgeois?

Nothing wrong with your definition?

Xerxes said:
In the early decades of the 20th century many women stayed at home, the work they did, cleaning, cooking etc. was vital to ensuring that the men were able to go to work, and also to ensure the next generation of workers.

It had been recognised by such as Cadbury, Rowntree, et al that a healthy worker is more productive and so able to generate more surplus labour and hence more profit for the bosses. The role of women was supportive but no less important to capitalism that the role of the worker, indeed, maybe more so in that it was unpaid.

Slave labour benefits the capitalist system, as does serfdom. This does not make slaves nor serfs members of the 'working class'.

Ther is some truth in this, you do however IMO discard from the working class a growing number of people, that are the modern equivalent of the day labourer, those that are forced to sell their labour on a short term basis. and would not get work unless they have their own tools.

Thankyou for at last recognising that I'm the only one supporting a proper Marxist definition of class against an increasingly post-modern view of the class system, which sees cultural and social perspectives as more important than the relationship to the means of production.

In response to your main point, as I already stated to dennisr before, the real workers are the agency workers and those employed on a short-term basis (on building sites, etcetera) rather than people setting up their own businesses. The only reason skills such as building are manifesting themselves in serperate individual businesses for the 'self-employed' is because of the prosperous situation in the United Kingdom today, where in relative terms ordinary folk still have access to the necessary capital floating around in the economy to set themselves up seperate. In coming years, the number of 'self-employed' builders (as much as other professions) will decline due to the contraction of available capital in the market - those with said skills will be increasingly unable to afford to operate on their own and will be forced into 'waged' occupations under an employer who extracts their surplus labour value, paying them only a proportion of their labour's worth. Most likely, they will also use their employer's tools to do their job.

As has already been said, and repeated, and reiterated, then repeated again, "being poor and working hard does not a 'worker' make".

Just like a certain Mr. A. Blair?

Your analogy is just abit randomised, with no obvious link into the conversation. 1/10 - the 1 is for the 'spirit' :)

articul8 said:
right, so if you're employed by a national newspaper you are working class. So your revolution has these Guardian "workers" on board:

Errrrr, no. Which is why I paid extra-special care to specifically saying:

D-Dawg said:
I would include many in the NUJ as members of the working class - its membership includes all those working for many newspapers in reality

I have evidently made the mistaken assumption that such obvious qualifiers would not go over your head. As it is evident you are still having trouble with this 'reading' business (perhaps you might also need to look into your general communication skills - is English your first language?) what I intended with the use of these qualifiers was that though I do not believe all those in the NUJ are workers, that some are.

The NUJ has members on the editorial teams, research teams, etcetera etcetera. I don't believe that anyone writing in the editorial of a paper on a regular basis is working class, NUJ or no NUJ. Nor do I believe that anyone working in a management or 'boss' position within a newspaper company is anything other than middle/management class, as has already been made explicitly clear on three occasions, to my count. It could be more. Why don't you actually read the thread and see for yourself? Don't hold the fact you can't comprehend simple English against me.

and freelancers - can they ever be "working class"? - your previous posts seem to suggest not, or are you going to make further recourse to your slippery, disingenuous "qualifiers"?

No, freelancers are not working class (unless, of course, their freelance work is in conjunction with working class work or as a source of supplementary income).

Any issues?

Slave labour benefits the capitalist system, as does serfdom. This does not make slaves nor serfs members of the 'working class'.

You have spectacularly missed the point. Women have been used as the unpaid support system to ensure that the work force mainly male is able to work for for longer than since the 1950's and 1960's.

Thankyou for at last recognising that I'm the only one supporting a proper Marxist definition of class against an increasingly post-modern view of the class system, which sees cultural and social perspectives as more important than the relationship to the means of production.

Again, point missed I said that there is some truth in what you said. IMO you are using a Marxist definition of class to suit your preconceived ideas.

In response to your main point, as I already stated to dennisr before, the real workers are the agency workers and those employed on a short-term basis (on building sites, etcetera) rather than people setting up their own businesses. The only reason skills such as building are manifesting themselves in serperate individual businesses for the 'self-employed' is because of the prosperous situation in the United Kingdom today, where in relative terms ordinary folk still have access to the necessary capital floating around in the economy to set themselves up seperate. In coming years, the number of 'self-employed' builders (as much as other professions) will decline due to the contraction of available capital in the market - those with said skills will be increasingly unable to afford to operate on their own and will be forced into 'waged' occupations under an employer who extracts their surplus labour value, paying them only a proportion of their labour's worth. Most likely, they will also use their employer's tools to do their job.

Thank you. Now you get some of the point. Many "self employed" work through subcontracts and agencies, having to sort out their own insurances, tax and stamps. They are therefore technically in business for themselves, but their ability to get work is controlled by others. The requirement to be "self employed" will IMO increase in the near future as "self employment" enables the real employer (contractor/agency) to cut down overheads and only pay for workers when required. As for tools why supply tools when you can insist on the worker having their own as a condition of getting the job.

As has already been said, and repeated, and reiterated, then repeated again, "being poor and working hard does not a 'worker' make".

Sorry, Working does not make you a worker.

Das Uberdog said:
At the end of the day I'm just quite a 'giving' guy - I like to help.

Das Uberdog said:
Your analogy is just abit randomised, with no obvious link into the conversation. 1/10 - the 1 is for the 'spirit' :)

I thought you were being facetious and comparing yourself to Tony Blair by quoting something he once said about himself in an interview. Obviously not.

Xerxes said:
You have spectacularly missed the point. Women have been used as the unpaid support system to ensure that the work force mainly male is able to work for for longer than since the 1950's and 1960's.

Ordinary women have only been able to seperate themselves from paid work on top of their domestic duties since the 1950s/60s. butchersparon referred to 'housewives', a historical/sociological phenomenon known only to the middle-classes and better off sections of the proles (labour aristocracy) before this period.

IMO you are using a Marxist definition of class to suit your preconceived ideas.

How? Justify this. Or is it simply rhetorical diaorreah?

They are therefore technically in business for themselves, but their ability to get work is controlled by others. The requirement to be "self employed" will IMO increase in the near future as "self employment" enables the real employer (contractor/agency) to cut down overheads and only pay for workers when required.

As already mentioned, there's an obvious difference between (for example) me working in the call centre at MobilKitchens and being forced to sign an agreement 'claiming' to be self-employed, and someone actually setting up and operating seperately on the basis of their own skills.

Sorry, Working does not make you a worker.

Hooray! It gets the point! Caloo, Callay! Oh frabjious day...

No, freelancers are not working class (unless, of course, their freelance work is in conjunction with working class work or as a source of supplementary income).

Any issues?

Yes, because you seem not to appreciate that the proliferation of freelancers is a consequence of the "labour market flexibility" that has resturctered working class conditions of employment - it is more like piece-work than your implicit view of comfortably independent self-employment.

It seems to me the critical question in determining the class relations is whether the person in question has no choice but to sell their labour power and is without a significant stake in the maintaining in power the bourgeois ownership of means of production across society - not whether you own and deploy the immediate tools of your trade as an individual. As emanyton was trying to point out, simply having a pen or a laptop doesn't mean you "own the means of production" - since as an individual you are dependent on the ownership of the printing, retail, distribution, marketing etc that structures commodity exchange in a market economy.

Are freelancers automatically working class? No - but then they're not automatically petit-bourgeois either. The point is to consider what percentage of the classic industrial working class is finding themseir work "resturctured" into newly atomised and isolated but just as exploited conditions of employment?

Ordinary women have only been able to seperate themselves from paid work on top of their domestic duties since the 1950s/60s. butchersparon referred to 'housewives', a historical/sociological phenomenon known only to the middle-classes and better off sections of the proles (labour aristocracy) before this period.

Prior to the 1950's/60's and the advent of the labour saving technology we take for granted. Married women were expected to and on the whole did give up paid work to look after the home. A full time job in itself. Prior to that or at least pre the 1920's labour saving devices were called servants.

How? Justify this. Or is it simply rhetorical diaorreah?

The quote below from you sums this up.

As already mentioned, there's an obvious difference between (for example) me working in the call centre at MobilKitchens and being forced to sign an agreement 'claiming' to be self-employed, and someone actually setting up and operating seperately on the basis of their own skills.

Your argument has been that if you are self employed you are not working class, now you are saying there are exceptions. After all if you are self employed then you are self employed. A proper definition should take into account all circumstances.

Hooray! It gets the point! Caloo, Callay! Oh frabjious day...

you really have no idea of sarcasm do you

Aside from the minutae of this debate one thing has emerged...

If (and I know its a big if) DU is correct, then Marxism is no longer a practical or relevent means through which to understand or change the world. Marxism has lost its raison d'etre and we should look elsewhere for a theory and practise that engages with the changed nature of our relations with labour and capital.

...of course DU might be wrong. I'll grant you that one...;)

To articul8:

As I've already said, I think there's a clear distinction between people who's jobs have been restructured to isolate them from collective activity, and those who operate as individual agents within the capitalist system.

At the end of the day, who has the option of whether or not to 'sell their labour power'? That, in itself, is not a Marxist distinction of the 'working class'. Even insecure bourgeois folks and the intelligentsia have historically been reduced to 'work' in times of financial hardship. Just because your business 'isn't going well' or your trade is in high competition does not change your relationship to your job. That is, you are contracted in to do a job, for which you recieve full remuneration for your labour in relation to its market worth. You are not alienated from your means nor fruits of production. A worker, on the other hand, is 'sub-contracted', and recieves only a fraction of the market value of their labour.

As I've mentioned, historically we have had builders, artisans, sculptors, blacksmiths and many other 'guilded' professions and 'trades' for hundreds of years before the development of capitalism and the creation of an actual 'working class'. That these groups are exploited by the system is one thing, that does not make them 'workers' in any Marxist sense. Peasants are exploited, as a slaves. The development of capitalism has historically been responsible for the impoverishment of those who made their living from skills and professions, and for making their skills redundant to the point at which they are barely viable (if at all) for an individual to make a living from.

The difference between a worker grabbing odd-jobs here-and-there and a 'builder' is that of their 'profession'. Though some odd-job bloke who'll come in and clear your garage or sweep your gutter is still unconventionally working class, they are not advertising their labour based upon a unique skill for which there is demand - they are advertising their labour on the basis that it is labour, and can be put to task in any manner of unskilled forms. They have no stake in the system, they are not building a business around a profession. If you take Marx' analysis of the early wage-earning proletariat in the cities, or Brian Manning's analysis of the early (yet to be completely developed) 'toilers' in London prior to the English Civil War, you see a definition emerge of someone who has nothing but their labour with which to be set to task. It is the emergence of this specific group of people which gives rise to any meaningful emphasis on the workers as the products of ultimate change, by any Marxist analysis.

Xerxes said:
Prior to the 1950's/60's and the advent of the labour saving technology we take for granted. Married women were expected to and on the whole did give up paid work to look after the home. A full time job in itself. Prior to that or at least pre the 1920's labour saving devices were called servants.

Incorrect: working class women have always traditionally worked alongside their domestic duties, and still do in most countries of the world. The post-war period (latter 40s in through 50s/60s) was the first real period in which most families had the luxury of being able to survive on a single income. The difference between the number of women in service changing is nothing to do with labour saving devices, it is everything to do with the wars, and the political culture which was born from them. Today we are seeing an increase in in the numbers of those going into service, and now with more labour saving devices than ever before.

Your argument has been that if you are self employed you are not working class, now you are saying there are exceptions. After all if you are self employed then you are self employed. A proper definition should take into account all circumstances.

Incorrect: my argument has been that in many cases employers will use formalities to disguise labour as 'self-employed' to suit their employment purposes, whilst not changing the relation of their employees to the means of production nor the fruits of their labours in any form. There is a big difference in selling your trade to some middle-class family who want their garden flagging to working in a call centre for MobilKitchens. Believe me, I've done both.

you really have no idea of sarcasm do you

I understand sarcasm fine, and realise you were attempting to use it. However, in your idiocy you used it in the form of a perfectly legitimate analysis of my position, and on top of that one which is unquestionably correct. Congratulations.

To chilango - you are wrong - my definition (and the fact I am right) does in no way diminish the relavence of class. Infact, it is the only theoretical sense in which a Marxist analysis of class can be realistically maintained.

To chilango - you are wrong - my definition (and the fact I am right) does in no way diminish the relavence of class. Infact, it is the only theoretical sense in which a Marxist analysis of class can be realistically maintained.

Course it makes it irrelevent.

You are saying that huge numbers of people are not "the real class".

As a "middle class worker" what use is it to me?

If you're actually middle-class you're not a worker by a Marxist definition. You can, however, join in the workers' movement?

If you're a worker then you're suffering from a chronic case of false-consciousness. Sort your act out mate.

All that my position suggests is that class divisions are less prominent in British society today, something which is simply not contentious. That doesn't mean they are not in reality very relevant, nor that they are any less prominent on a global scale (and capitalism is a global system).

If you're actually middle-class you're not a worker by a Marxist definition. You can, however, join in the workers' movement?

If you're a worker then you're suffering from a chronic case of false-consciousness. Sort your act out mate.

All that my position suggests is that class divisions are less prominent in British society today, something which is simply not contentious. That doesn't mean they are not in reality very relevant, nor that they are any less prominent on a global scale (and capitalism is a global system).

If I'm middle class and not a worker (say a teacher) why would I join the workers movement?

What would be the point?

I don't think anyone is doubting that class divisions are important...

The middle-classes shouldn't expect to gain anything from the workers' movement, apart from the self-emancipation of the working classes.

You are correctly identifying the phenomena of 'class interest'. Well done. You're halfway to becoming a Marxist.

The middle-classes shouldn't expect to gain anything from the workers' movement, apart from the self-emancipation of the working classes.

You are correctly identifying the phenomena of 'class interest'. Well done. You're halfway to becoming a Marxist.

:D I've no intention or desire to become a Marxist.

Your point does illustrate what I am saying though...through this thread you have repeatedly stated that large numbers of working people are not workers, and thus have no interest in changing society, nor indeed the power to do so.

I repeat what I claimed earlier, if you are correct then marxism has lost its relevence. You time has come and gone, comrade. The dustbin of history awaits.

I don't think they have no interest in changing society - I'd challenge you to show me where that has been mentioned. What I would say is that, historically speaking, the working classes are the only realistic movement for progressive change: without a society based upon the principles of working-class democracy, any alternative to capitalism would be backward and fail to abolish social conflict.

I should expand my statement above: the middle-class shouldn't expect anything from the workers' movement other than the self-emancipation of the working class, and the benefits of such a society which is built upon that emancipation. For many, such forseeable benefits will be enough for them to join the workers' movement (I would suggest that I myself am an example of such a person).

I don't think they have no interest in changing society - I'd challenge you to show me where that has been mentioned. What I would say is that, historically speaking, the working classes are the only realistic movement for progressive change: without a society based upon the principles of working-class democracy, any alternative to capitalism would be backward and fail to abolish social conflict.

I should expand my statement above: the middle-class shouldn't expect anything from the workers' movement other than the self-emancipation of the working class, and the benefits of such a society which is built upon that emancipation. For many, such forseeable benefits will be enough for them to join the workers' movement (I would suggest that I myself am an example of such a person).

That makes more sense.

Now about who is working class....

Yes. Which isn't unusual ;) I am not targeting you, but the whole of societies who create and sustain “class” divisions, which are artificial by their very created existance.

I do not think you are - you are 'targeting' an ideological viewpoint you disagree with (as you expand on later - but given I had already pointed this out to you, there was no need) . I note though you simply ignore the bits you find more uncomfortable to argue with and simply try to fit your mistaken pre-conceptions as to what marxism actually represents as a set of ideas. I will give a couple of examples of this:

I don't give any view of how individuals look at themselves.

neither do i

Marx had an utopist's view on the ideal society (haven't we all). I don't believe in “all power to the Worker” for the simple – obvious - reason that both investor and worker are interdependent if any of them wants to profit – hence make a living – out of anything. Hence the artificiality of any “class” divisions. There is no other class than the class of humanity.

I can understand that the marxist viewpoint would be a threat to your religious views which try to find some overarching thing to unite 'humanity'. In this sense your viewpoint has much in common with for example nationalist views, racialist views and all of those excuse used to legitimise everything from slavery to the enforced covering of women.

What marx did was expose the underlying reasons as opposed to the ideological excuses put forward by those in control. You would not be the first to find this uncomfortable.

Like others before and after him, Marx argued against exploitation of the poor and had in his time and age reason enough to do so, yet this exploitation was not a new element in human society. It only appeared under a shape and form more apparent and directly visible due to the factor “industrialism”. Which indeed disturbed known patterns and led to uncontrolled up to uncontrollable urbanization. Not a new element in the scope of human history either; but so it was in Western eyes and experience.

It is almost inevitable that you try to bring in the concept of 'western bias' (again this is a common 'excuse me') but, just as marx did not limit his own developing view of class society to the period he was living in, neither did the resulting view of how class society develops (and class relations change as the mode of production changes) limit itself to 'western societies'. You may like to delude yourself that the non-western world is outside of this but that would leave you unable to explain how those societies have themselves developed and changed. The marxist analysis was not just a snapshot of one society at one moment but an attempt to understand how change occurs - what the underlying contradictions were that resulted in change in any human societies. That is not to say marx himself was able to cover every area of the world and every historical moment (he only had he one life after all...) but he provided a set of tools that could and have been used to explore the specifics he himself did not cover.

How on earth can you claim that your boss “steals” your labor if you get paid for it?

the boss steals by only paying you a percentage of your labour value back to you. this is called profit (ie once material costs have been taken out). This is specific to the class relations of capitalist society

You object to an investor making profit while you need his investments to have a job.

where did that investor's wealth come from in the first place. as you said earlier - 'more carefully read human history'. when did that investor's wealth belong to that 'investor'? is this a natural thing or is this something that is the result of imposition?

You freely call any profit made by your investor “stealing” yet if a firm goes bankrupt, employees are very quick to claim...

it is common for 'investors' to underinvest I see not problem in workers pointing this out - this does not make a marxist explaination of the underlying reasons why the nature of private property leaves the investor's workforce - thier lives, families and futures - dictated to by the whims of capitalist contradictions any less relevant. The questions that arises is - do that workforce need to live with these contradictions? You assumption seems to be that they should be grateful to these 'investors' - so how did humanity survive prior to the arrival of these 'investors'? or are you going to tell me this has always been so?

Investors all must look at their investment as if they give away their money to charity and hence not expect any return but the joy to give employees a paidjob. .

And following your 'logic' (which closely mimics that of the dominant ideology at the present time - the neo liberals who are presently forcing billions into poverty by forcing them to toe the international capitalist line) - you are arguing that the tiny minority of 'investors' should be kow-towed to by the vast majority.

The parasitical relationship for me is that it is the vast majority that CREATE THE WEALTH - not those investors - so it is the investors who are surplus to requirements

Then first apply the reasoning that there is no such thing as “class” but in the minds of those who like to think there is, for whatever reason. On the other hand, “equality” if measured in terms of social, financial, personal success is an utopy. We are all born humans, yet we are not all the same, nor are our circumstances of birth or the opportunities we get in life, if we manage (or want) to exploit them or not. Humans aren't robots.

The reason for the development of a view of class society was an explaination of presicely why the other conditions you have just mentioned existed.

Unlike you - who seems to prefer deciding on a pre-conceived theory BEFORE looking at the concrete reality. Marx, and plenty of other folk looked at the reality and then drew their developing theories from this. Why don't you first look at the reality - something you seem to be vaguely aware of - and then answer the question does class division exist or not? Rather than trying to enforce your presumptions onto me. There is a reason why marxists talk about class and it honestly was not drawn out of a hat or decided in advance by reading some book written in the middle ages...

I imagine this would reflect your own utopian religious ideology - where you tend to try and make reality fit the words from a book written in the middle ages.

Far from believing that 'everybody is the same' as you try to imply - marxists point out that class society destroys individual development and achievement. The truly 'individual' individual is held back by class society

Weirdly the only way you have of defending your pre-conceptions is to use the arguements of those in power at present

You simply overlook all the various contributing factors to poverty and deprivation. Of course governments (local or other powers) are often enough part of the problem but so is history, geography, demography and what not. It is beyond oversimplification to label all people who are victim of such intertwining factors as “working class”, just because they are deprived of what is looked at as of highest importance in Western Consumerist societies.

No YOU are the one who simply does not question what that poverty and deprivation is a result of. Or are you accepting that the non-western world was unable to develop economically due to a lack of raw materials, knowledge or 'investors'?? If so - weird for someone who tries the old 'looking through western eyes' excuse early on in his 'expose' of the 'limits' of the idea of class.

There are a couple of excellent books by a bloke called Jared Diamond - 'Guns, Germs and Steel' and Collapse - How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive'. Now I do not know if this author claims to be a marxist or not - probably not. He more than covers the questions that arise - why some societies 'developed' and others did not?

I am confident in saying that the 'oversimplifications' are entirely yours. I did not for one moment look at working class 'deprevation' in the majority of the world through some 'western consumerist' set of values. I think that people being underfed, starving, working in intolerable conditions etc etc are concrete indicators of class inequality. I am fully aware of the 'relative' wealth of the western working class. Marxist explainations can give better reasons why this is than any middle ages religious tome (I keep coming back to this in the hope you will react to the point and in so doing be more honest as too your real opposition to a marxist idea of class).

I think that asking people to prey for their salvation may have made sense if thousands of years of human existence had not proven the 'getting down on one's knees approach' as a weopan in the hands of those in power rather than a real help for those without power again and again and again. 'Utopian' would be a very polite way of explaining someone who is still stupid enough to hold such a viewpoint. The idea of someone like that (I think that probably includes you...) should really look at themselves and their ideas more closely before accusing marxists of being the 'utopians' :)

class divisions are less prominent in British society today, something which is simply not contentious.

But to acknowledge the under capitalism, class is necessarily structured around the capital/labour antagonism does not mean it will forever take the form of a transparently binary top hatted bosses/ vs flat cap proles division.

If Marx was around today he'd be trying to understand the new ways in which working class experience was being reconstructed, not trying to make everything fit distinctions drawn up to explain the emergence of industrial class relations.

But to acknowledge the under capitalism, class is necessarily structured around the capital/labour antagonism does not mean it will forever take the form of a transparently binary top hatted bosses/ vs flat cap proles division.

in underdog's world it probably does though... :)

I admire your attempt to argue rationally there dennisr - but experience has shown that when Ald feels uncomfortable or is challenged there will usually be a response along the lines of 'English is not my first language........'.

Ald doesn't do rationality.

:)

Back
Top Bottom