Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workers Power have split

In what way??

If this thread won't make someone come to their senses and realise they are part of some surreal alternative reality which currently makes up the left then there is probably no hope for them. Sadly, I think they will go on convincing themselves that their group, or their views, are ok, it's just all the others who are the nutters. Or convince themselves that there is some sollace in the fact that they are the least mad in one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

How is anyone "missing the irony" of anything, part of the whole point of this thread was to laugh at ourselves anyway!

I guess but if people just carry on doing the same old thing, being in the same off the wall groups, then it takes the gloss off the humour. Or should do for them.

How many people alive on the British mainland today have been through one or other of these groups (say, been a member for a minimum of 2 months)?

I was laughing at you lot:D

I know lol. :D I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with threads like this, in fact if you have no sense of humour on this subject and no sense of self reflection there's something dangerously wrong with you. I don't think anyone here falls into that category though.

I've heard estimates that say at least 150, 000+ out of all the trot, anarchist and stalinist etc groups combined, i think that might be slightly overoptimistic though.

I know lol. :D I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with threads like this, in fact if you have no sense of humour on this subject and no sense of self reflection there's something dangerously wrong with you. I don't think anyone here falls into that category though.

Can't see how there is much self reflection going on. I'm sure most people on here will carry on being in the same off the wall groups or standing by the side lines having a snipe. Not sure if it's worse or not if they are aware they are doing it but carry on regardless.

When Victor Adler objected to Berchtold, foreign minister of Austria-Hungary, that war would provoke revolution in Russia, even if not in the Habsburg monarchy, he replied: "And who will lead this revolution? Perhaps Mr. Bronstein [Trotsky] sitting over there at the Cafe Central?"

If this thread won't make someone come to their senses and realise they are part of some surreal alternative reality which currently makes up the left then there is probably no hope for them. Sadly, I think they will go on convincing themselves that their group, or their views, are ok, it's just all the others who are the nutters. Or convince themselves that there is some sollace in the fact that they are the least mad in one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
uhh, have you actually seen the film? If you had, you'd know that last sentence doesn't really make any sense.

And, not being in any miniscule grouplet actually gives some of us much more time to do some work that can actually make a difference.

I've heard estimates that say at least 150, 000+ out of all the trot, anarchist and stalinist etc groups combined, i think that might be slightly overoptimistic though.

It would still be hardly anyone. Wouldn't that be 0.25% of the population? And that's anyone who has joined, ever.

And, not being in any miniscule grouplet actually gives some of us much more time to do some work that can actually make a difference.

I agree, which is why I'm not in one of the 100 or so groups mentioned in this thread. Having said that it would be much better if there was a decent organisation out there that was worth joining, as I'm sure, ultimately, a collective organisation can achieve far more than an individual. As it is currently they seem to do more harm than good.

You might have got me on the cuckoo point, but you know what I was saying.

I seem to remember that the responses I got when I joined to take the piss were along these lines:

As Engels showed in the origin of the family, private property and the state, the modern nuclear family is an essentially capitalist formation, with the wife and children as the property of the father. The sexual impulse is therefore a bourgeois impulse aimed at increasing personal private property. This impulse controls our lives and is yet another tool of capitalist hegemony.

The struggle against capitalism is therefore the struggle against the sexual impulse.

I think they qualified that by saying that it was ok to have sex, but only if you'd risen above capitalist sexual relations.

I'm not convinced their reading of Engels is quite what he intended. And whilst the above is their justification, I suspect Idris may be closer to the actual truth.
Yeah cos Engels was well know for resisting his sexual impulses. :rolleyes:

In all honesty I can only see one person on this thread who's taking themselves seriously and who thinks this shit actually matters in the grand scheme of things and, unlike that poster, I'm happy to name names, though I doubt whether I actually need to.

In all honesty I can only see one person on this thread who's taking themselves seriously and who thinks this shit actually matters in the grand scheme of things and, unlike that poster, I'm happy to name names, though I doubt whether I actually need to.

Name names! Do it!

Back
Top Bottom