Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Work lunch ideas for microwave and kettle.

19sixtysix

Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret
I need to save cash and stop using the canteen for more than one meal on long shifts.
I'm after easy prepared ideas for taking as lunch to work where I have access to a microwave and hot water tap.

I do that a bit just wondered if anyone had some flavoursome ideas.

I'm bored of stuff in two slices of bread, noodles from the Chinese supermarket and my veggie curry with rice staples.

ETA that's why I've been using the canteen.

Last edited:
Par boil some ramen noodles at home. Just for a minute.
Throw in loads of veg, some protein, and the sauce packet. Put it in a nice plastic box with a lid.
At work, add water from the kettle. Let sit 3 minutes or so. Nuke it if you want it faster.

Cheap (60p) pouch of rice from supermarket. Chuck in some peppers and other bits. Pretty healthy, filling and cheap.

Do some 'batch cooking' like chilli, bolognaise or stew. Grab one out the freezer each day.

Bake a jacket spud and warm in the microwave.

I often take in some marinated grilled chicken and salad and instant noodles.

I'm batch cooking at the moment for my work week as I got 2 x 12 hour shifts followed by a 10 hour shift so I need tobe able to take in precooked frozen food plus salad.

Cheap (60p) pouch of rice from supermarket. Chuck in some peppers and other bits. Pretty healthy, filling and cheap.

Do some 'batch cooking' like chilli, bolognaise or stew. Grab one out the freezer each day.

Bake a jacket spud and warm in the microwave.
This is a great idea then you can just take in some beans and cheese or some ready made tuna mayo or whatever. For salad I just take a bag of watercress, spinach and rocket.

As long as you don't have some bright spark eat your meals for you.

(A problem I had at one quite large firm)

Par boil some ramen noodles at home. Just for a minute.
Throw in loads of veg, some protein, and the sauce packet. Put it in a nice plastic box with a lid.
At work, add water from the kettle. Let sit 3 minutes or so. Nuke it if you want it faster.
This but chuck a raw egg in it too. Wouldn't use a plastic bowl though. Needs to be hot.

I make batches of chilli/curry/bolognaise at home and freeze them in ziplock bags, take them to work and put them in the work freezer.

Then microwave those while re-hydrating cheap rice noodles from Chinese shop.
Put both together in a bowl, micro again for 2 mins and add parmesan or chilli sauce.

Baking potatoes in the microwave gets my vote too. Cheese, no beans. Black pepper, obvs

Them Micro chips and some bread and a fuckload of salt'n'vinegar

Aldi/Lidl/Asda do decent microwaveable curries for £1.50 or so (lotsa salt, though)

I buy the posh sausages from M&S, two packs for a fiver, cook them in the oven and then freeze. They microwave very quickly and well. My favourites are the 'French Style' but they may be a bit garlicky for communal kitchens.

I have soup and bread or rice cakes, baked spud with various toppings, pre cooked and frozen cottage pie/chilli/curry/stew. Noodles/couscous/ rice all easy in microwave or just with hot water. Scrambled egg easy in the microwave, add in pre cooked sausages, nice crusty bread.

For example, today I have frozen beef stew (left over from Sunday) with additional frozen veg and a jacket spud, with fruit for pud. Its my main meal today as I won't be home until late so its got to be a decent one:cool:

Make large batch of chili. Freeze in portions. Buy cheese. Also maybe make a salad (one involving red onion/cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers and stuff), and get some yoghurt/other condiments that go well with spicy stuff.

Buy wraps.

Nuke chili to edible... Place chili in wrap (can also add rice and other stuff), along with cheese. Fold like so:

Untitled-design-e1529719192425.jpg

Nuke again for a minute or so to make non-fried chimichanga. Serve with salad and yoghurt.

We’ve got a microwave and a hot water thing. Doesn’t mean you have to use them though does it?

You did say you have that particular combination 'every sodding day', which isn't what I'd call a ringing endorsement for not using the microwave.

Used to work with a guy who ate soddin' pot noodles - every day for weeks on end.
And then The Bitch would complain about whatever it was that I had. But not about his food. she bitched about the smell one day once too often - as that day I had eaten cereal ...

Used to work with a guy who ate soddin' pot noodles - every day for weeks on end.
And then The Bitch would complain about whatever it was that I had. But not about his food. she bitched about the smell one day once too often - as that day I had eaten cereal ...

For people like that, just escalate. Kedgeree, kippers, surstromming.

Back
Top Bottom