Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

If I'd just invested in a striking local landmark and then discovered that it had mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the night, roads had been blocked off to stop fire engines getting near and then some fucker had gone ahead and demolished it without my permission, I'd be extremely angry and demanding the police investigate. But, as you say, ne'er a peep!
what could be the reason for this?

The Guardian has learned that the new buyer was a property firm called ATE Farms Ltd, owned by Carly Taylor, a 34-year-old who is a director of multiple companies.

ATE Farms is registered to the same address as Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs the 15-hectare quarry and landfill site next to the pub. The Guardian was unable to reach ATE Farms Ltd for comment.

The flames have gone but the heat is on. Presumably photos to follow?
He owns a quarry next door? :D
I wonder if there’s any dumper trucks and mechanical diggers or bulldozers there.

The Guardian has learned that the new buyer was a property firm called ATE Farms Ltd, owned by Carly Taylor, a 34-year-old who is a director of multiple companies.

ATE Farms is registered to the same address as Himley Environmental Ltd, which runs the 15-hectare quarry and landfill site next to the pub. The Guardian was unable to reach ATE Farms Ltd for comment.

If it is rebuilt brick by brick it may be wonkier than previously as sightseers have been helping themselves to bricks as souvenirs. :(

Local MPs and others and others making a modest stink about this, well we are a few months away from an election. However, medium term, wouldn't surprise me if the land gets sold on and then it's houses or retail on the site within 5 years. The new owners maybe even promise to have a (but not the) pub on the site. Whatever happens, the pub ain't getting rebuilt. :(

Here is where Wales is superior.

We have a place where we take buildings they want to knock down and rebuild them.

Here are details of the pub they are currently rebuilding:

I occasionally drank here and attended someone's engagement party here.

People joke about whether or not they'll accurately reproduce the toilets very strong aroma of urine.

It does happen sometimes tho

Well, let's hope so. I suspect that might hinge on finding evidence the owners torched it. As it is, they are only, currently, guilty of knocking the whole thing down when the council seem to have agreed in principle that part of it needed to be demolished. Enforcement issues certainly, but a long road for the council to get anything like the original building back. To be honest, I've just about nil legal or procedural knowledge here, just a sense these things rarely turn out well. Other thing, maybe the owners might wind the company up if the council goes in hard. Again though, I've no idea about liability issues.

Back
Top Bottom