Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

A band who had been booked to play there on Saturday night (before being cancelled last month) have an unfortunate name :hmm:

Gasoline and Matches gig poster

Too much of a coincidence, and has many similarities to the fate of the Bonded Warehouses on Newcastle Quayside.
Those were also listed, and due to be "redeveloped" ...
Same with the former Stereo nightclub further along. I've lost count of the number of fires there in the last few years!

Brings to mind Brighton's West Pier suffering two mysterious fires while the Palace Pier looked on, whistling.

Yep, and the sinking of that famous giant floating restaurant in Hong Kong just days after it left town headed to an 'undisclosed location' :hmm:

It's a lot of ifs; but if plod can be arsed to investigate properly, and if they can pin it on the not so subtle culprit, and if they can prove that the mound of earth under the bridge preventing fire service access was the same culprit, I reckon the judge on the case needs to get creative when it comes to sentencing.

No prison necessary, just the developer/arsonist and his accomplices rebuilding it by hand - brick by crooked brick. Community service at its finest.

I have to say that the conversation between the police/investigating authorities and whoever bulldozed the site should be an interesting one...and surely this property developer can't stay under the radar for ever. I notice that someone local is calling for any change of use to be blocked by the local authority, and perhaps it will only be when some kind of application is filed that the culprits can be identified.

It's abundantly clear that the burned-out building was an arson crime scene. It's going to be very difficult to pin the arson on the developer, despite how obvious it is.

But, surely the demolition is of itself a separate crime? Namely obstructing a criminal investigation, deliberate interference with a crime scene, something along those lines? Much easier to prove, someone has operated the demolition machinery and I'm sure they won't want to take the fall for whoever gave the instruction.

If the site was bought recently surely the owner is in the Land Registry? Some journo must have checked by now, so perhaps it is some anonymous company registered overseas or something. But it seems odd we don't have a name yet.
Yeah, it could be some kind of shell company. ISTR that the firm that knocked down the pub in London (and were made to rebuild it) were some kind of offshore outfit. And they got enforced, so here's hoping...

If the site was bought recently surely the owner is in the Land Registry? Some journo must have checked by now, so perhaps it is some anonymous company registered overseas or something. But it seems odd we don't have a name yet.

They've a backlog meaning it can take months to update new owner details.

No, it wasn't.
Where are you getting that?

"A Grade II-listed building that was formerly The Crooked House pub caught fire on Saturday night, just weeks after being sold by Marston’s Brewery to a private buyer."

Where are you getting that?

"BirminghamLive also contacted Historic England to clarify the situation. It confirmed The Crooked House was not listed."

You can also check yourself:

"BirminghamLive also contacted Historic England to clarify the situation. It confirmed The Crooked House was not listed."

You can also check yourself:

The building seems to be one of those buildings that everyone assumed was listed and obviously needed to be listed but we now discover wasn't actually listed. Shameful, but still doesn't permit arson or wanton demolition.

Very. In the vacuum all sorts of speculation is occurring. Marstons could always just tell us who they sold it to though surely?

Surely they’d need planning permission for whatever they’ve decided to replace it with which presumably the council could be awkward about?

that's what Street has written to the Shropshire boss about.

Staffordshire.

I'd always assumed the pub was in the West Midlands combined Authority Area. But it's actually in South Staffs. Tory led and the MP is Gavin Williamson, so almost certainly pro-developer. There seems to have been a lot of shoddy developer activity around the border between South Staffs and Dudley/WMCA with the latter picking up the infrastucture strain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom