Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wonky 18th century pub, The Crooked House, mysteriously burns to the ground after new owners take over

Surely they’d need planning permission for whatever they’ve decided to replace it with which presumably the council could be awkward about?
Also need planning permission (or building control) to demolish a building.

Seems a bit odd if it wasn't listed that 'they' burnt it down to start with. :hmm:

The fact it shamefully wasn't listed means they can basically do what they want. There is very little recourse in planning law, and any that there is will be outweighed by the profit they can potentially make on future development.

The fact it shamefully wasn't listed means they can basically do what they want. There is very little recourse in planning law, and any that there is will be outweighed by the profit they can potentially make on future development.

It doesn’t mean that they can torch it. But yes, I take the point. Sadly the West Midlands has a shocking track record of preserving our historic public houses and cultural heritage buildings.

Should have been listed decades ago, it's wasn't rocket science. There are half a million listed buildings, most of which the average person working with heritage buildings can be reasonably expected to have never heard of if not bought to their attention. Not so with this one.

In the unlikely event that Andy Street got his way and the pub had to be rebuilt I would have thought that that would be a very difficult undertaking Had it not been bulldozed it rather looks as though the main structure could have been saved.Such a shame

If the site was bought recently surely the owner is in the Land Registry? Some journo must have checked by now, so perhaps it is some anonymous company registered overseas or something. But it seems odd we don't have a name yet.
Land Registry has a backlog, if it was bought recently, records unlikely to have been updated promptly.

It's abundantly clear that the burned-out building was an arson crime scene. It's going to be very difficult to pin the arson on the developer, despite how obvious it is.

But, surely the demolition is of itself a separate crime? Namely obstructing a criminal investigation, deliberate interference with a crime scene, something along those lines? Much easier to prove, someone has operated the demolition machinery and I'm sure they won't want to take the fall for whoever gave the instruction.
It would depend. Following a fire, some buildings need to be demolished because they're unsafe. I guess it would depend whether the bulldozers moved in quickly before any engineers had assessed it and condemned it as unsafe and in need of demolition.

It would depend. Following a fire, some buildings need to be demolished because they're unsafe. I guess it would depend whether the bulldozers moved in quickly before any engineers had assessed it and condemned it as unsafe and in need of demolition.
The police would usually be involved in discussions though; not done anonymously in the night.

Yes but how many accidental fires have the road deliberately blocked so the fire brigade can't get there? :hmm:

Yes, I get it but the whole thing seems perfectly designed to point the finger squarely at the owner. Every aspect of it screams "arson by owner", so much so that it makes me question it. It's a seriously incompetent job they've done, if indeed they have.

Yes, I get it but the whole thing seems perfectly designed to point the finger squarely at the owner. Every aspect of it screams "arson by owner", so much so that it makes me question it. It's a seriously incompetent job they've done, if indeed they have.
It’s an interesting scenario that you propose. But it involves persons unknown torching the building, dumping soil to hinder the emergency services then hiring a JCB to finish the job all to point the blame to a mysterious owner who said they wanted a ‘change of use’ for the site.

And of course the mystery owner could get a media exclusive where they’re outraged by the whole episode. But the silence is deafening.
If I'd just invested in a striking local landmark and then discovered that it had mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the night, roads had been blocked off to stop fire engines getting near and then some fucker had gone ahead and demolished it without my permission, I'd be extremely angry and demanding the police investigate. But, as you say, ne'er a peep!

If I'd just invested in a striking local landmark and then discovered that it had mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the night, roads had been blocked off to stop fire engines getting near and then some fucker had gone ahead and demolished it without my permission, I'd be extremely angry and demanding the police investigate. But, as you say, ne'er a peep!
If I’d spent almost £700k on a property I’d definitely be keeping an eye out for errant mechanical machinery wanting to take a pop after arsonists had a go.

Back
Top Bottom