Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

There is already a thread on this subject.

The other thread is about whether or not the new square is an improvement on the old one.

Several complaints were made on that thread about the fact that the issue of value for money was not dealt with in the poll options and therefore I have created this poll in response to that feedback.

Really? Looks like tedious point scoring and staring over the rims of your glasses whilst interrupted from a very important and worthwhile book to wither us all with your lofty opinion, most of which you choose to withhold because it amuses you to see the plebs crash and splutter around in their ignorance.

Looks like, anyway.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the cost of the work is somewhere in the region of £500,000 to £10,000,000.
If you're going to start a poll asking if something is good value or not, at least make the effort to research the amount of money that was actually spent otherwise it's a totally pointless effort.

If you're going to start a poll asking if something is good value or not, at least make the effort to research the amount of money that was actually spent otherwise it's a totally pointless effort.

Isn't that the entire point though?

:D

I think we need a poll asking if people are using the square more now than before, or less, or the same.

Seeing as teucher is unable to research this properly, I did it for him - and it look looks like we were underestimating the figures by a considerable amount:

The new Brixton Central Square will link three existing spaces that form the heart of Brixton - Tate Gardens, Windrush Square and St Matthew's Peace Garden. The vision is to create a high quality public space of local, national and international importance that expresses the significance of Brixton as part of the multi-cultural fabric of London.

Gross Max Landscape Architects were appointed in 2004 following an international design competition. The scheme will create space in front of the Ritzy Cinema and Raleigh Hall, providing the opportunity for outdoor public events. Materials have been carefully selected to match the character of the surrounding civic buildings, and artworks in the square will reflect Brixton's multicultural status.

Design for London worked with partners to commission the designs, and is currently working with London Borough of Lambeth to develop a wider vision for Brixton town centre.

Work on the square will start in June 2009 and will be completed by June 2010. Associated highway works on Brixton Hill will be completed by December 2010. The total estimated cost of implementing improvement works to Brixton Central Square and the highways is around £9.5 million, funded by Transport for London and the London Development Agency.

http://www.designforlondon.gov.uk/what-we-do/all/brixton/
BTW, has anyone noticed how stained the stone has become in some areas already?

That's an estimated figure, estimated in advance.
That's right, but seeing as I haven't heard anything about it going over budget, or heard any trumpeting that it's been delivered under budget, I'd say it's the most accurate estimate so far.

Unless you know differently, of course.

I have not heard anything either, but that doesn't mean the figure isn't wildly inaccurate, of course.

Something to go on though, yes.

That's an estimated figure, estimated in advance.
Also note it's for all the improvement works - including the pavement widening/resurfacing on the high street, and the rerouting of traffic up Brixton Hill.

EDIT: I think.

Another fan of the square here (I love the idea of those individual seats as opposed to benches) but the costs are staggering.

I have to deal on occassion with Lambeth council and the way that anything they do gets handled leads me to believe that the costs could be at least halved on anything and everything they are involved with and with people still eating well on the back of it.

Its a tiny example I know but I met with a Roofer this week who showed me the bill presented to Lambeth by their main contractor for £1000 and the amount he recieves, £500.

All they do is fax the work sheet over to him and pocket £500 for the pleasure. And I am sure that this can be multiplied to take into account projects like this.

I have not heard anything either, but that doesn't mean the figure isn't wildly inaccurate, of course.

Something to go on though, yes.
It's the figure from the official site, so I think its fair to say that it's unlikely to be "wildly inaccurate" unless there's been a huge overspend.

I haven't had to dig this out since the latter days of El Jefe . . . . .

188629873_4b18c9d1de.jpg

So there are no figures for how much the design and ornamentation of the lolling area between coldharbour lane and whatever the other road is?

Are we assuming that TFL were paying all the bill, or was 6.5m their contribution towards the whole scheme?

Wasn't there some funding from Bozza's office or related agency?

Back
Top Bottom