Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

Of course, although since you dont appear to have any actual relevant pratical experience or knowledge Id be wasting my time. I dare say you're the dogs at reflected ceiling plans:D
Interesting though your defence of this scheme, which frankly is architecturally on a par with a surburban driveway, (and a rather crappy one at that).

Well, tis up to you whether or not you want to share whatever information you have. If comprehending it requires "relevant practical experience or knowledge" then it would imply you feel the lay person's opinion on this whole thing is of even less value than I might suggest.

I thought "Phase 3" of the Brixton Town Centre improvements, including the creation of the square, was only slated to cost £4.25million. TfL 2009 leaflet (page 18)

Does that mean that they managed to spend £5million on the earlier street works from Stockwell Park Walk to the Town Hall, or are they including the LDA's committed funding to Raleigh Hall/Black Cultural Archives :confused:

There are certainly a lot of different numbers floating around with very little clarity as to what scope of work they relate to.

Well - if this is true, it indicates the problem is with the way in which work is procured, rather than the work that is chosen to be done. In other words, these problems would still apply even if the money had been spent on the rec centre or whatever.

Well I saw the paper work relating to the job. Its not the worst though. That has to a lady charged 15000 by Lambeth for installing a new central heating system. Now I wont bore you with the details suffice to say that I could have got the same job done for 3 grand and with us still pocketing half of that as profit. Never seen exploitation like it.

Fair few people there today. A lot of security and a few police already. The BBQ looks good :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 102
Fair few people there today. A lot of security and a few police already. The BBQ looks good :)

I saw that.What was it about? All I saw there when I strolled past was a few tents and some music but not many people. The people were wisley sitting outside the Ritzy.

Apparently it was Jamaica day according to the BBC News and there was a sprinter there to inspire the handful of people who showed up. Why wasn't this publicised properly?

They put the tents right next to the fountain too, so once again it remained turned off on the kind of day when people would have really enjoyed using it.

I did see some kids sprinting and people timing them. That was this morning early though. Could not work out what was going on or what it was for then.

I still find the paved area towards Effra Road a bit confusing - with the change from the stone in the square, it sort of feels like you're on one of those shared car/pedestrianised roads and should watch out for traffic.

Wrong kind of stone

This morning the council were doing an experiment to see if they can clean the tree stains off the stone. 4 people observing and one poor sod left to try and do the actual cleaning with an indoor cleaner thingy:

4786685022_604f6e60c7.jpg

As I walked past I overheard "I think we're going to have to do the whole square". :facepalm:

As long as objective inquiry wins against reactionary sensationalism, I am happy
Man starts a poll asking if something is good value or not.
Man omits to mention how much the aforementioned thing actually costs.
Man is made of tumbling, crumbling fail bricks.

This morning the council were doing an experiment to see if they can clean the tree stains off the stone. 4 people observing and one poor sod left to try and do the actual cleaning with an indoor cleaner thingy:

As I walked past I overheard "I think we're going to have to do the whole square". :facepalm:
:facepalm: indeed.

That's a euphemism for piss stains, clearly.

The Jamaica day celebrations were indeed pretty meagre. I got a leaflet thrust into my hand, bumped into Badgers on the way back and forgot all about it tbh. Bit of a strange set up at 9 in the morning too - a load of McDonalds' gobbling security guards in blazers guarding a drum barbecue, whilst the DJ tested out the system with 'Where's your head at?' for some unknown reason.

To be fair, I did have a shitload of barbecue food to prepare that day too. I was distracted, nay focused, by the challenges ahead.

Clearly you weren't worth a leaflet from the attractive Jamaica Day promotional team.

(((Badgers)))

Back
Top Bottom