Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will I die?

Open the can, smell and visually examine the sardines. I wouldn’t worry too much about eating them unless something was obviously foul…

if it’s within the date, I’d eat it (if I liked tinned sardines, that is). Can’t see anything untoward on that tin.

Put it in the bin and then go without delay to your nearest food shop and purchase a tin of mackerel fillets in the Spicy tomato sauce and eat that instead, which is what you should have done in the first place obvs.

A batch of John West sardines in olive oil has been recalled recently, as a 'precautionary measure' due to possible 'microbiological contamination.' I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds bad. I got a refund from Amazon* because of it. I rushed to check the quoted batch numbers and seemed to be in the clear, which was a relief seeing as I've already made inroads into them.

The human body is designed to eat fish and meat.** If we don't, we have to be careful to replace what we lack if we don't (common knowledge, I know. But it isn't easy.)

A few years back I got a good cholesterol result from my over-fifties health check. The practice nurse who went through my results asked me if I ate loads of oily fish like sardines...

Sardines are great, either on their own or for putting in soups and stews etc. I prefer tinned to the 'proper' ones, which I have eaten at barbeques and got a gobful of tiny sharp bones.

*I do feel guilty about using Amazon. It's a legacy of the pandemic panic thing.

** I do think the meat industry is barbaric, and these days eat red and white meat only when invited by people who have prepared it for everybody else. Can''t give up fish though.

Back
Top Bottom