Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Sure. In the logical world in which racism doesn't exist, you'd perhaps be right. Black actors would get a wide variety of roles with ease, including those playing white characters when they're better than the white actors auditioning.

Do we live in that world?

No, which is why I pointed out from the beginning that my argument was 'in principle' and in a hypothetical situation where casting decisions weren't based on racism. I didn't say those conditions always exist. My point was that, in principle, I have no objection to a white actor playing a black character if the decision to cast him is not a racist one, which racism would include institutional racism in the film industry, unconscious bias etc..

I'm not familiar with the story but did they originally want Raj played by a white actor or something?
No, I'm not suggesting that was the case at all - it probably never even occurred to them that they would cast a white person. It was just the first example I could think of of a modern Indian character. (Which in itself doesn't say much for Hollywood's ability to accurately represent reality in its casting.) :(

If the role can be played by a white actor without "blacking up" then it's not a black character. It's just a character. If the skin colour is important, then a black actor should play the role. If it isn't, then the best actor available should play it.

These seem to workas general principles but not everything is so clean-cut - what if the skin colour is slightly important, but it's more important that you want a really great actor? We seem to be agreed that Ben Kingsley playing Gandhi was acceptable...

What justification is there for having a white person black up to play a black character?

That they might be more able to portray the totality of the character (which, presumably, you agree is more than simply a skin colour) better than any of the other applicants for the role.

It's important. It's re-writing history through popular culture. There will be people who don't know who will believe these depictions. I hate that.

Exodus-Gods-and-Kings-570x434.jpg

It's important. It's re-writing history through popular culture. There will be people who don't know who will believe these depictions. I hate that.
You're the one re-writing history by using social media bullshit in place of two sorts of facts - historical and contemporary.

No, I'm not suggesting that was the case at all - it probably never even occurred to them that they would cast a white person. It was just the first example I could think of of a modern Indian character. (Which in itself doesn't say much for Hollywood's ability to accurately represent reality in its casting.) :(

I don't know what the casting process was either. I half-remember some mumblings about them choosing a British actor rather than an Indian one, so these arguments go way past skin colour too.

In Korean churches Jesus looks Korean, in Africa he's black, in Europe he's north Italian

I don't know how people can deny that he was the son of God when he was 3 different races at the same time

I don't know what the casting process was either. I half-remember some mumblings about them choosing a British actor rather than an Indian one, so these arguments go way past skin colour too.
Well, yeah - and I'm guilty of saying "Indian" when what I really mean is "brown-skinned", regardless of nationality. Mea culpa.

Sure. In the logical world in which racism doesn't exist, you'd perhaps be right. Black actors would get a wide variety of roles with ease, including those playing white characters when they're better than the white actors auditioning.

Do we live in that world?

and to me the point is also the baggage. Blackface has an inglorious golliwog melon eating shitty tradition of offensive caricature. Will we one day be able to move on from that and accept a white man in shaded makeup? that'd be great. Are we there yet? Not by a long shot.

I re-watched 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story' (don't judge me) the other day and there's a scene where bruce see's the hugely offensive Mickey Rooney character doing an offensive oriental stereotype. He leaves the cinema angry and weeping.

And thats a film from the 90's ffs. We just haven't got enough space from the real injustices and denigration non white people get as standard to start playing the platonic ideal clean slate cards.

That they might be more able to portray the totality of the character (which, presumably, you agree is more than simply a skin colour) better than any of the other applicants for the role.

There's still no need to black up. Blackface is deeply offensive and has been used as a derogatory form of entertainment for whites about blacks. That is the point.. Can't you see the very real and direct link here?

I'm just going to end up repeating myself. Many people of colour on this thread have said it's not ok. I don't know why you are insisting it is.

Which is where legislation should take over. Directors/casting shouldn't have that power

How far should the legislation go: can anyone other than a Hispanic person be allowed to play Zorro? If a remake of Tootsie was planned [heaven forbid], would the legislation decree that a woman must be selected for Dustin Hoffman's role?

Who should play Othello: an actor of sub-Saharan ancestry; or an Arab?

Speaking of brown: could an Iranian/Persian get the role of an Arab? Can an actor from the Indian subcontinent play an Arab or vice-versa?

Anthony Hopkins played Hitler in The Bunker. Hopkins isn't German to my knowledge: acceptable or not?

It's been said many times on the boards that the conept of race is a fabrication, that it doesn't reflect reality. That being the case, would it assist in destroying the fabrication, if race became a non issue in role casting: ie: Arnold Swarzenegger playing Chaka Zulu; Jet Li playing Abraham Lincoln; Danny Trejo playing Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy. Etc.

I can't think of much blacking or browning up in recent films [apart from films where it's done with the express purpose of spoofing the practice, like White Chicks; or Tropic Thunder]. Yes, it has a bad history; but the real transgression comes in how the role is written: if the intent or the effect of the role as written is to be demeaning, or to make the character the butt of a racist joke, then that of course is not acceptable.

A colorblind society would be a nice place to live. Sad that we have such a long long way to go.

There's still no need to black up. Blackface is deeply offensive and has been used as a derogatory form of entertainment for whites about blacks. Can't you see the very real and direct link here?

I'm just going to end up repeating myself. Many people of colour on this thread have said it's not ok. I don't know why you are insisting it is.

I think Athos was more musing on the pure logic and accepts the ugly history.

He has answered now - and support was the wrong word to use there as well - but given OU swing from being against it full stop to thinking it's justified in some cases and C66's sarcastic response to it, i thought i better check.
Eh? I didn't say it was justified at all. I said that such thinking was shoddy.
And which post was C66's sarcastic response?

Last edited:
There's still no need to black up. Blackface is deeply offensive and has been used as a derogatory form of entertainment for whites about blacks. Can't you see the very real and direct link here?

Yes, I've acknowledged that there is some cultural baggage. But, I made the point earlier that there's a difference between 'blacking up' to ridicule people of colour, and using make-up to enable a white actor to play a black character.

Furthermore, I've not claimed that Hollywood is free of racism. I merely made the point that, in principle, having a white actor play a black character isn't necessarily intrinsically racist and, therefore, unacceptable in any circumstances.

And just because some people of colour have agreed with you, doesn't mean that I have to do the same. And, for the record, one of my posts has been 'liked' by a black man. Where does that leave us? An identity politics dead end.

If a remake of Tootsie was planned [heaven forbid], would the legislation decree that a woman must be selected for Dustin Hoffman's role?
a) Tootsie is an excellent film. :mad:
b) Was that really the best example you could come up with? The Michael Dorsey character is a man. :facepalm:

Aside from that, you make an excellent point. From a privileged white perspective, it's easy to lazily categorise non-whites.

Back
Top Bottom