Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Nah, the points been made. Not important though apparently. Wider context and that influence not important.
Bollocks - buddy brought in just that point in to explain - explain, not justify - casting decisions like this and you jumped right on them.

Last edited:
I'm sure citizen can speak for themselves but it's clear to me when read in context of their other posts the one you quoted was sarcastic.
He has answered now - and support was the wrong word to use there as well - but given OU swing from being against it full stop to thinking it's justified in some cases and C66's sarcastic response to it, i thought i better check.

He has answered now - and support was the wrong word to use there as well - but given OU swing from being against it full stop to thinking it's justified in some cases and C66's sarcastic response to it, i thought i better check.

Fair. I didn't spot OU saying it was ok in some cases... I always thought OU was fairly spot on :( *goes back to read posts*

As I'm sure you realise, it's a little more nuanced than that. But I don't think that black characters can only be played by black actors.

That could be reasonable, I think, but is quite dependent on the specifics of what you mean by 'black character'.
Also, if 'black characters' (assuming we all mean the same thing for a second) can only be played by black actors, would that mean that 'white characters' can only be played by white actors etc.?

As I'm sure you realise, it's a little more nuanced than that. But I don't think that black characters can only be played by black actors.

What justification is there for having a white person black up to play a black character?

Bollocks - buddy brought in just that point in to explain - explain, not justify - casting declensions like this and you jumped right on them.

Who you swearing at? FUCK OFF yourself with this bullshit aggressiveness! :rolleyes: You know I ignore you, you also know why, yet you continue to pop up with this nasty, unnecessary, bullying act and think that's alright. It isn't. The comment you have quoted wasn't specifically aimed at BB anyway, more to Athos' contributions.

I asked a question. I didn't jump on them. I have also responded to BB accusing me of condescension. You and your bully boy routine isn't needed. I've been active in the thread since the first few posts and therefore part of the discussion it will also be a cold day in hell before I let YOU dictate to me when I can post, how I might want to do that and misrepresent my contributions. It hasn't worked in years and it never will.

Last edited:
I asked a question. I didn't jump on them. I have also responded to BB accusing me of condescension.
You jumped in with a snide comment implying that centuries of oppression had somehow passed me by. It's clear to everyone that we don't need to spell out that the way non-white actors are treated is a microcosm of how non-white anybodys are treated.

Sure. In the logical world in which racism doesn't exist, you'd perhaps be right. Black actors would get a wide variety of roles with ease, including those playing white characters when they're better than the white actors auditioning.

Do we live in that world?

You jumped in with a snide comment implying that centuries of oppression had somehow passed me by.
No, that was your interpretation/assumption. There was nothing snide about what I asked you. I have since gone further and explained to you why I asked you that question. You don't get to decide how I meant what I posted, I am honest enough to tell you.

It's clear to everyone that we don't need to spell out that the way non-white actors are treated is a microcosm of how non-white anybodys are treated.
Quite clear to everyone? How can you speak for everyone?

What if? I don't understand the point your trying to make.

There are a bunch of things going on here that need teasing apart. There looks to be a good bit of racial essentialism from one side and a dose of Devil's Advocate from the other, and unless we start picking the knot apart we can talk past each other all day.

If you don't want to do that, the short answer to 'Why is 'browning up acceptable in Hollywood?' is 'money'. Money trumps all other considerations until either so many people are speaking up to convince the money men the money is at risk or the box office takings make it obvious.

And what if the white person plays the black character without blacking up.
If the role can be played by a white actor without "blacking up" then it's not a black character. It's just a character. If the skin colour is important, then a black actor should play the role. If it isn't, then the best actor available should play it.

If you don't want to do that, the short answer to 'Why is 'browning up acceptable in Hollywood?' is 'money'. Money trumps all other considerations until either so many people are speaking up to convince the money men the money is at risk or the box office takings make it obvious.
I think that's mostly true, but not entirely - otherwise there would be a lot more white actors playing brown parts in present-day settings. Hollywood seems to have decided that it's okay for Christian Bale to be a 5th century BC Egyptian (or whatever that last film was about), but balks at casting (for example) a white guy as the comedy Indian on Big Bang Theory. Apu not withstanding.

I'd imagine there is probably an element of actor willingness playing a part too.

Everyone in the bible was white, you only have to look at the pictures

jesussauris.png

Dinosaur aside, this is what they're doing isn't it. Looking at some pictures from the film I don't think they 'browning up' in the sense of making up the actors to change their skin colour, they're 'whitening up' the characters. Which is slightly different but equally racist tbh - they're important religious figures so they must be white, what else would they be?

Apparently the sphinxes also got a 'European' makeover for the set of Exodus. I suppose we should applaud that attention to detail. Consistency being important in movies and all.

Hollywood seems to have decided that it's okay for Christian Bale to be a 5th century BC Egyptian (or whatever that last film was about), but balks at casting (for example) a white guy as the comedy Indian on Big Bang Theory.

I'm not familiar with the story but did they originally want Raj played by a white actor or something?

Back
Top Bottom