Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is 'browning up' acceptable in Hollywood?

Blacking up has a very iffy history which factors into it heavily.
This is what the idiots failed to take into account when they had a massive wobbler about Idris Elba in the Thor film.

That's a very simplistic view. There's a history of oppression and humiliation around blacking up which can't be divorced from it whatever the attempted justification. There are plenty of actors of colour. There is absolutely no need to have a white person black up. It's something that clearly belongs in the dustbin of history.

I accept that it's not without baggage, and so can seem crass.

wtf are you on about - you kickd off by claming either christianss or jews for the violence meted out to christ rather than actual proper pagans - and that this is therefore the key to those religions and now you are claiming something both did not exist and that they did and made specific claims. And nn, your confused undertsanding of christian theology is wrong about the old law and the new law and the supercession of the former. Silly athiest.
Do you really consider the Bible as a historical document worthy of your efforts ?

Like felixthecat said, it's not entirely whether they are "as capable" at acting - they also need to be "as capable" at bringing in a mainstream movie audience and making back the millions of dollars invested in the film.

Important point. Not sure how defensible it is as an 'ought' but it works as an 'is'.

Like felixthecat said, it's not entirely whether they are "as capable" at acting - they also need to be "as capable" at bringing in a mainstream movie audience and making back the millions of dollars invested in the film.

Why does this financial pulling power inequality exist do you think?

You appear to be suggesting that there arw no non-white actors capable of playing a role as well as white actors like Meryl Streep.

It wasn't my words; it was a quote.

But, for argument's sake, if I was a casting director who considered Meryl Streep to be the best actress in the world (not a particularly controversial opinion), ought I to give the part to a less able actor on account of her race?

But, for argument's sake, if I was a casting director who considered Meryl Streep to be the best actress in the world (not a particularly controversial opinion), ought I to give the part to a less able actor on account of her race?
Which is where legislation should take over. Directors/casting shouldn't have that power

So is there someone sat on the Hollywood casting board deciding whether a role requires a skintone dark enough to be called black, in which case they need a black actor, but otherwise it's ok to brown-up a white actor?

"Hmm, is this shade of skin too dark? Maybe we need someone black?"
"Nah, he's brown. We're cool"

:hmm:
300"s Xerxes is pretty much blacked up

Which is where legislation should take over. Directors/casting shouldn't have that power

You think there should be legislation to ensure that all roles are played by people of the same ethnicity as the character, regardless of the relative acting ability of the applicants?

If they're 'as capable' then of course it's wrong to make the decision based on race; I said so in my first post.
Do you really think there is ever a situation where a white actor would do a better job than a non-white one?

You think there should be legislation to ensure that all roles are played by people of the same ethnicity as the character, regardless of the relative acting ability of the applicants?

We'll need a central register of acceptable phenotype ranges...

I don't think the best white actor in the world is good enough to play a more convincing black man than a black man could.

Do you really think there is ever a situation where a white actor would do a better job than a non-white one?

Yes. There could be a situation where two actors are considered for a part and the better of those two actors is white.

How about you try to be a little less condescending? :rolleyes:

What was condescending about my question? I don't think it was.There are reasons why White actors are promoted, casted and therefore known more in hollywood/more likely to draw audiences, even today. My question was to see if you knew that as your point seemed to be removing that important context and those details from the discussion.

I think acting ability is a red herring here. There's always someone who looks the part who can also act the part. Actors are ten-a-penny

If they are really as good, then I agree that they ought not to be excluded from the role on account of their race.

Back
Top Bottom