Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who the hell listens to Radio 3?

fucthest8

Cool people die horrible, preventable deaths.
Well, me for a start, on the drive to work.

Lately I've found Radio 4 annoys the shit out of me, of course Radio 1 and 2 are presented by utter cunts, Radio Local is uniformly presented by more utter cunts being Keraaaazy and Wacky, ClassicFM has that utter utter cunt Simon Bates on it .... and so I've found myself listensing to Radio 3 :oops:

And jolly nice is it too.

But the morning aside, the programming seems utterly bizarre and often elitist pants. IMO, natch. Particularly, some of the late evening stuff is utterly inaccessible music with a panel of pseuds spouting total creamy muck-muck about it.

Anyone going to own up to listening to it?

I listen to Radio 3 or BBC London when Danny Baker is on. I quite enjoy the bizarre Late Junction on R3 - sometimes you hear something wonderful that it would never occur to you to listen to. And then other times it's just unlistenable crap. Still, better than Chris Moyles.

I can't stand Radio 4 news and current affairs. John Humphries gets right on my tits.

'Mixing It' used to be brilliant. It seems that it's the only radio station left (bar of course independent stations) that takes the music seriously. :( :cool:

My parents listen to it a lot.
I keep meaning to listen to Late Junction cos I'm told they play a nice range of eclectic music (not classical) and the presenter has a sexy voice. :)

Don't know the names, but there's a review show I try and catch at 9.30pm (Mon-Fri) which can be interesting, and another review thing on Saturday evenings.

Plus Andy Kershaw on Sundays at 10.15pm.

Best heard via the Radio Player at times wot suit, rather than at the often inconvenient transmission times.

As for R3 in general, I'm quite new to it and am still exploring. It seems to be for grown-ups, though.

fucthest8 said:
total creamy muck-muck
:D :D :D

So true, especially when Petroc Trelawny or some other hyper-camp announcer (who ARE these people? where do they get them from :confused: ) starts crooning about the inconsistencies and hitherto-uncared for subtleties of Sliwowitz's Chromatic Variations in G minor, or whatever. Utter Fuckries!!

And yet, this has become the default station around the house. It started off innocently enough. I like jazz. R3 is the only station in the UK to play any. At all. I like lots of non-European/Anglophone musics. Ditto. Then I started listening to Late Junction. Then it was concerts of early 20th century impressionist stuff and more contemporary, sometimes sparkly space-is-deep-and-serious music. Somewhere along the way J.S. Bach and others snuck in - didn't expect that.

I'll always loathe opera and consider Mozart a fraud beyond his childhood showings off, but R3 is really not about UK2005plc. There's no overt advertising, no celebrities, no status-boosting, no chortling, just acres and acres of music (interspersed with spurious, whimsical twitterings from Petroc & co.) - sometimes twee, sometimes bland, occasionally unlistenable, but when it's good it's outstanding.

I hate R4 more than I hate opera (and for the same predictable reasons), I hate R1 even more than I hate R4, and I don't know what R2 is about but I don't wear V-necked pullovers.

R3 it is then.

beesonthewhatnow said:
"Late Junction" is the best show on any radio station anywhere atm.
Listening to it now :D

My musical tastes are totally bananas post-punk, post reggae and post rave ... but I was brought up on "English Music" - Vaughan Williams et al.
I discovered Radio 3 when I was about 10 - (in 1970) - I was quite into the "Early Music" revival featured by David Munro...

In the 70s I was a total John Peel Devotee .. latterly I tend to absorb all sorts of random stuff off the net.
Maybe I'll listen to Radio 3 a bit more for a bit - thanks for the reminder - I first heard the Aphex Twin late night on radio3 ... things were a bit blurred for the next 10 years :eek:

I like learning about Jazz history on the way home from work on a Friday (4-5). All these old geezers telling cool jazz stories.

acid priest said:
'Mixing It' used to be brilliant. It seems that it's the only radio station left (bar of course independent stations) that takes the music seriously. :( :cool:

word...

Mark Russell and Robert Sandell :cool:

Is mixing it dead? I hope not.

I like Radio 3 actually. Much prefer it to Radio 4 or 2 and if the football wasn't on 5, that as well.

Having said that, never listen too it these days.

Me when working in an office and needing to drown out annoying people, and when I've remembered to bring the digital radio:

Radio 3 until it goes opera... bzzt... 1xtra...

Rocket no.9 said:
So true, especially when Petroc Trelawny or some other hyper-camp announcer (who ARE these people? where do they get them from :confused: ) starts crooning about the inconsistencies and hitherto-uncared for subtleties of Sliwowitz's Chromatic Variations in G minor, or whatever. Utter Fuckries!!

True innit? I sometimes listen to R3, but when they do shit like that I end up shouting at the radio 'SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU PONCE AND JUST PLAY THE FUCKING MUSIC!!!'

Classic FMs the same with the crappy adverts and tedious fuckwit ex-R1 DJs trying to show everyone how fucking cultured they are now.

Rocket no.9 said:
I hate R4 more than I hate opera

jaw.gif

Mind you, I do listen to R3 sometimes, although there are occasions when I rapidly switch elsewhere because it can be a bit too Harrison Birtwhistle.

_pH_ said:
True innit? I sometimes listen to R3, but when they do shit like that I end up shouting at the radio 'SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU PONCE AND JUST PLAY THE FUCKING MUSIC!!!'

Classic FMs the same with the crappy adverts and tedious fuckwit ex-R1 DJs trying to show everyone how fucking cultured they are now.
Nothing I repet nothing on Radio3 is ever remotely as appalling as classic "3 record playlist" FM :p

I find myself listening to a lot of stuff on bbc sounds which was broadcast on radio 3

Spoken word stuff mainly. It’s all really interesting

Perhaps I should have listened to it before now

I listen to Radio 3 or BBC London when Danny Baker is on. I quite enjoy the bizarre Late Junction on R3 - sometimes you hear something wonderful that it would never occur to you to listen to. And then other times it's just unlistenable crap. Still, better than Chris Moyles.

I can't stand Radio 4 news and current affairs. John Humphries gets right on my tits.

I bloody love Late Junction. This and Gideon Coe on 6 are pretty much the only music stations I listen to anymore.

I listen to both on iPlayer so I can skip stuff I don’t like.

(There are some others, like Resonance and NTS and local pirates).

I keep trying Radio 3 but can’t get on with the high-falutin’ attitude, which makes me imagine (possibly incorrectly) and dislike the people it’s targeted at.

But Classic Radio winds me up too cos it’s too matey and it’s not increasing my knowledge and understanding of the music. And adverts.

I need something between the two. I sometimes dig into a classical composer or piece of music by looking at essays and breakdowns on YouTube.

Do love me a bit of Radio 3, staying in a hotel atm and the TV has 5578 channels of shite, R3 being a lonely gem. Was enjoying some delightful music yesterday when him indoors got ahold of the controller and started scrolling through 5578 channels and complaining they were shite 😀

Thread's aged well

:D :D :D

So true, especially when Petroc Trelawny or some other hyper-camp announcer (who ARE these people? where do they get them from

Anyway, do miss R3, it had a variety and love of music that seems to be a rare thing these days.

Back
Top Bottom