Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

I was at a friend’s place for a Xmas meal last week and, afterwards, he opened his spirit cupboard to all and sundry (an unusual experience since, in our house, an open bottle very soon becomes an empty bottle but also because he’s a well known tight bastard) so I poured myself a generous measure of laphroaig. Christ almighty, that was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever put in my mouth - like drinking Dettol. I’ll stick to Irish whiskey in future.

I was at a friend’s place for a Xmas meal last week and, afterwards, he opened his spirit cupboard to all and sundry (an unusual experience since, in our house, an open bottle very soon becomes an empty bottle but also because he’s a well known tight bastard) so I poured myself a generous measure of laphroaig. Christ almighty, that was one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever put in my mouth - like drinking Dettol. I’ll stick to Irish whiskey in future.
Yeah. Don’t start your malt whisky journey with Laphroaig, you numpty.

You you you... Philistine! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

On the subject of malts, have any of you good people come across a blended malt called Islay Mist? It was I think, the only blend that was purely malt, and Islay malts at that. If it has disappeared, I'm not surprised, it was appalling.

A bit harsh? I didn’t realise that drinking malt whisky was a mystical quest and it required a warning on the bottle to say “do not drink until you appreciate the finer tasting notes of TCP” ffs. 🙄
It is a mystical quest! That’s exactly what it is. It’s as much a journey of self discovery as anything else.

Now that I know you like Irish whiskey I’ll tell you where to start. You need a Bunnahabhain. It’s also an Islay malt, with a distinct maritime tone, with that saltiness you get in seaside malts, but without the heavy peatiness of the other Islay malts, and more of a caramel character.

It is a mystical quest! That’s exactly what it is. It’s as much a journey of self discovery as anything else.

Now that I know you like Irish whiskey I’ll tell you where to start. You need a Bunnahabhain. It’s also an Islay malt, with a distinct maritime tone, with that saltiness you get in seaside malts, but without the heavy peatiness of the other Islay malts, and more of a caramel character.
OK - I’ll give it a go. I’m just a bit mystified why something so awful upon first taste can be transformed into an enjoyable experience?

On the subject of malts, have any of you good people come across a blended malt called Islay Mist? It was I think, the only blend that was purely malt, and Islay malts at that. If it has disappeared, I'm not surprised, it was appalling.
It’s still around. But you’re right, it doesn’t work.

There was a limited run of a purely malt blend of all the existing Campbeltown malts this year, called Campbeltown Loch. I bagged a bottle. It’s good and was worth trying, but I’d still rather have a Glen Scotia or a Springbank.

You have to learn and master the funny handshake too by the way. Takes years to do that.
As it happens I'm in the process of changing my funny handshake place. I'm moving on the basis that I will not be occupying any office.

Bruichladdich for the beginner I would suggest.

Last edited:
It’s mysterious!

You may never be a fan of the heavy Islay malts. Maybe you’ll turn out to be a Speyside aficionado. I’m a particular Campbeltown nerd.
Compared to Irish blends and malts which range from the bland (Jameson’s) to honeyed (Powers) to Bushmills (Angels dancing on my tongue), Scotch seems unnecessarily harsh and aggressive. I suppose I’m at the right age to try this sort of carry on 🙂

Remember drinking both Talisker and Lagavulin for the first time and just thinking WTF? :confused:

Now both firm favourites.
Lagavulin used to be a huge favourite of mine. Not had it in years.

I’m going to a friend’s for Hogmanay, whom I was in bands with in the 80s and early 90s. Back then he was a big Linkwood fan and I’m thinking of picking up a bottle tomorrow to take along. It’s a long time since I had some.

Compared to Irish blends and malts which range from the bland (Jameson’s) to honeyed (Powers) to Bushmills (Angels dancing on my tongue), Scotch seems unnecessarily harsh and aggressive. I suppose I’m at the right age to try this sort of carry on 🙂
Have you only had Laphroaig though? It’s a particular palate.

What’s fun is to get together with some mates and each buy a bottle from a different Scotch whisky region, and sample each.

Have you only had Laphroaig though? It’s a particular palate.

What’s fun is to get together with some mates and each buy a bottle from a different Scotch whisky region, and sample each.
I have tried over 20 - as, while a pot washer at a restaurant, the barman would pass me samples of all that this rather upmarket place had to offer through the serving hatch - so I’m not an innocent by any stretch. Not the ideal situation for sampling given I was mid-20s and still smoked heavily, but overall I preferred the toffee/caramel flavours over the astringent medicinal ones. My recent experience has not changed my mind so far.

Lagavulin used to be a huge favourite of mine. Not had it in years.

I’m going to a friend’s for Hogmanay, whom I was in bands with in the 80s and early 90s. Back then he was a big Linkwood fan and I’m thinking of picking up a bottle tomorrow to take along. It’s a long time since I had some.

You may well be shocked at the price hike. It was always a sub £50 treat, but now it's over £75 everywhere. :(

The Lagavulin 16 I mean.

Back
Top Bottom