Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Most people who like whisky find Laphroaig inaccessible to be fair.

I love Laphroaig but have been drinking supermarket or other cheap malts recently which are normally pretty smooth/inoffensive. My first glass of it for a while I actually found a bit much, so much more flavour, I can see why people might not like it.

Come down to my sister and was given a bottle of Talisker. Not had it for a while and won't get to drink any till NY and then it will have to sit there for dry January.

Canada Dry goes nice with a scotch and makes a nice winter warmer if you give it 35 seconds in the magic-heat-machine with a slice of orange, whole star anise and stick of cinnamon. We call it cough medicine in this house.

I like Canada Dry with a young bourbon.

I love Laphroaig but have been drinking supermarket or other cheap malts recently which are normally pretty smooth/inoffensive. My first glass of it for a while I actually found a bit much, so much more flavour, I can see why people might not like it.

Come down to my sister and was given a bottle of Talisker. Not had it for a while and won't get to drink any till NY and then it will have to sit there for dry January.
Aye don't get me wrong, I like it myself, especially the quarter cask but I know it's not to a lot of folks taste. Personally I do prefer a peaty whisky and the Talisker 12 is about my mid range but then there subtle lowland malts have a whole new pallet that's worth exploring. Cold damp day, I'll have a Glenmorangie, summers evening I'll take a Dalwhinnie Double wood, January with influenza Laphroaig is about all I can taste :)

I do enjoy the TV ad they have running for Laphroig currently, where they allegedly show people‘s first reaction to tasting it. At least one of them looks like they’ve just taken a good chug of drain cleaner 😆

I have philistine tastes in whisky and enjoy a basic Grants blended as much as a Glenmorangie. If other more expensive whiskies are better, I wouldn’t know, as I could never afford to try them 😢

This peated Speyside was a real fave a couple of years back, found it very drinkable indeed. :)

Still a good price too.

I wanted to try a new tipple with a festive voucher I got from work.

Your recommendations from this list:
Glen Grant
Peaky Blinder (I heard this was good)
Loch Lomond
Caol Ila
Glenkenichie
Glenlivet

If people are looking for a sweeter finishes, I always enjoyed Bunnahabhain, Speyburn, Dalmore and Cardhu.

Dalmore can put you back a bit, but I reckon Speyburn must be cheap and entry-level drinking and Cardhu can't be far behind.

I do enjoy the TV ad they have running for Laphroig currently, where they allegedly show people‘s first reaction to tasting it. At least one of them looks like they’ve just taken a good chug of drain cleaner 😆

I have philistine tastes in whisky and enjoy a basic Grants blended as much as a Glenmorangie. If other more expensive whiskies are better, I wouldn’t know, as I could never afford to try them 😢
Famous grouse in tea (no milk!) and Jameson's to sip and you'll be very merry

I wanted to try a new tipple with a festive voucher I got from work.

Your recommendations from this list:
Glen Grant
Peaky Blinder (I heard this was good)
Loch Lomond
Caol Ila
Glenkenichie
Glenlivet
Caol Ila is a classic Islay malt: Smokey and complex, with an oily finish. What I call a talking whisky. (A bottle you can open with a friend to set the world to rights).

Glenlivet - highly popular Speyside. Sweet and easy drinking. Its popularity can cause some snobbery from people who like niche, boutique malts, but there’s a reason for its immense popularity: it’s very good.

Glenkinchie - a light, sweet, delicate lowland malt. I hadn’t had it until my brother’s stag earlier this year when one of his friends brought a bottle. Not my usual style but pleasant.

Question for the experts:

I have a bottle of Glenlivet Dufftown (on the right of the bottles picture I posted) which probably dates back to 1979/80 or so as it was a duty free purchase by my parents back then and found recently doing a refurb on my mum's house.

It's labelled 'Pure malt'.

Watching old episodes of The Professionals lately, :D and Cowley often mentions ''Pure malt' and his love of it.

When did the marketing/naming change to single malt, as 'pure malt' seems to have disapeared?

Bit random, I know. :D

I have a bottle of Glenlivet Dufftown (on the right of the bottles picture I posted) which probably dates back to 1979/80 or so as it was a duty free purchase by my parents back then and found recently doing a refurb on my mum's house.

Watching old episodes of The Professionals lately, :D and Cowley often mentions ''Pure malt' and his love of it.

When did the marketing/naming change to single malt, as 'pure malt' seems to have disapeared?

According to Master of Malt, it refers to blended whisky rather than single malt.

I've got a Gelnfiddich Limited edition with similar heritage that came unopened from the inlaws back cupboard. I'd never seen it before so I looked it up to find that you could only buy it Duty free in the 90's. It goes in hot toddies.

I've been asked to choose a Macallan for my birthday.

Do you think it would be cheeky of me to ask for the M Copper 22 release?

Should have looked at the value before starting to neck it. :D

What else are you going to do? Just sit there looking at it wondering what it tastes like? :D

A friend of mine was aghast with me once when he bought me a very collectable St Emillion grand crux for my birthday. His face when I came back in the room with it opened with two glasses in my hand was pure delight.

I couldn't think of anything more depressing than a collection of unopened bottles :D

All the more reason to neck it!

Back
Top Bottom