Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

A cousin of mine collects the Bells Bells promotional bottles. He has a cabinet in his house dedicated to displaying them all. It looks like ya Nan's dresser.

He opened 1 on his daughter's 18th birthday, poured a dram and then put the lid back on. All the others remain unopened.

Every time I see them I always have to say "They've only got bells in you know Geoff?" :D

I was given a bottle of Haig Club today, which was a re-gift from my BiL who doesn't drink!

I'm drinking it now and it's a bit weird. The nose is pretty close to Mrs Spy's nail varnish. It doesn't taste bad but it's not very nice and, looking at Tesco online, it costs nearly £30 a bottle, setting it fair and square against Talisker, Laphroig, JWB, etc.

If it cost £15 (and they were out of Bell's) you'd stick a load of ginger in it and be reasonably happy, but at 30 it's a joke.

I think Haig Club was a brand aimed at the hipsters market (yeah, I am looking at you Beckham!).

The reviews I read said it was strictly for mixes.

Got hold of a bottle of Kilkerran 12 for £40, which is from a new Campbeltown distillery. It's very good and I recommend it if you get the chance, but I see it normally retails at £50, which is a price point I usually avoid, and puts it up against stiff competition, including the local rival Hazelburn 10 which is very good indeed, and if you were going to spend £50 on a bottle I'd tell you to start there.

For years Campbeltown has only had 2 distilleries. Kilkerran makes it 3 and I believe a 4th is due to start producing at some point. Not that Campbeltown really needs a category of its own, since it could easily fit within Highland, but the sheer quality of Springbank's offerings has kept the name alive and bankable.

They had no Linkwood in my local emporium, so I got a Bunnahabain Stiùireadair for tonight’s festivities. It’s a non age-declared offering from the Islay distillery at 46.3% abv.
That's a good value dram that. Tastes like a pricier whisky I would say - not what I expected from a cheap-ish no-age-statement.

Got hold of a bottle of Kilkerran 12 for £40, which is from a new Campbeltown distillery. It's very good and I recommend it if you get the chance, but I see it normally retails at £50, which is a price point I usually avoid, and puts it up against stiff competition, including the local rival Hazelburn 10 which is very good indeed, and if you were going to spend £50 on a bottle I'd tell you to start there.

For years Campbeltown has only had 2 distilleries. Kilkerran makes it 3 and I believe a 4th is due to start producing at some point. Not that Campbeltown really needs a category of its own, since it could easily fit within Highland, but the sheer quality of Springbank's offerings has kept the name alive and bankable.
I’m a big Campbeltown nerd. I do think it deserves its own category, small though it now is. It once boasted 36 distilleries and the nickname Whiskyopolis, and has enough of its own heritage and character to warrant special recognition. Islay after all does.

I have a couple of bottles of different Kilkerran drams. It’s not exactly a new distillery, but one that was taken out of mothballs 20 years ago having been dormant since 1925.

The history of whisky in Campbeltown is the history of whisky in Scotland.

I think Haig Club was a brand aimed at the hipsters market (yeah, I am looking at you Beckham!).

The reviews I read said it was strictly for mixes.

This way please >>

View attachment 360513

Couldn’t stop myself buying this whilst passing through an airport the other day. Not as esoteric as most on here but still :thumbs:
I was at the Dewars distillery 2 weeks ago...Never really been in to whisky but a dram of that white label blended really hit the spot. Picked up a couple of ageds and single malts to compare, looking forward to embracing a bit of whisky nerdery (including on Wednesday for burns night) :thumbs:

I was at the Dewars distillery 2 weeks ago...Never really been in to whisky but a dram of that white label blended really hit the spot. Picked up a couple of ageds and single malts to compare, looking forward to embracing a bit of whisky nerdery (including on Wednesday for burns night) :thumbs:

Yeah I enjoyed it, had a nice kip afterwards and awoke on touchdown. Real front of the mouth taste.

Dewars is very good value for money. I also introduced a group friends to a 12-year after BBQ, as it seems like a good place to start your whisky journey.

Back
Top Bottom