Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

I wasn’t exactly born under a gooseberry bush yesterday but it represents a branch of Scotch that I find somewhat inaccessible taste wise 🙂

You seemed to be dismissing Sotch whisky generally, on the basis of not liking Laphroig. That's akin to shunning vegetables because you don't like carrots.

Compared to Irish blends and malts which range from the bland (Jameson’s) to honeyed (Powers) to Bushmills (Angels dancing on my tongue), Scotch seems unnecessarily harsh and aggressive. I suppose I’m at the right age to try this sort of carry on 🙂
I would try something like Royal Brackla.

It's worth a try, especially if you're keen on Linkwood, as it's one of the components, along with Talisker, Cragganmore, and Caol Ila.

That sounds interesting, may have to give it a go.

Apart from getting a bottle of JW 12 from a family member this Christmas, I only ever go near it on an easyjet flight.

I wasn’t exactly born under a gooseberry bush yesterday but it represents a branch of Scotch that I find somewhat inaccessible taste wise 🙂
Most people who like whisky find Laphroaig inaccessible to be fair.

I was up in Fort William a couple of weeks back and a non whisky drinking friend, who was drunk on rum, did a spurt about whisky being "all my arse" proclaiming that most people couldn't tell one from the other.

We had about 12 bottles on the table because it was the hosts 60th birthday party and we'd all brought him a bottle plus what we took for ourselves.

We humoured rum-gobshite for a wee while, telling him about the different processes that are used to make the distinct difference in some drams. He wouldnt have any of it so we waited until he got boring enough for someone to tell him he was talking rumshite and had no idea about the subject matter.

"OK then I bet if I put a Laphroaig, a Talisker and a Maccalan in a blind tasting half of you lot would get it wrong".

That's when we all turned round and actually stopped talking to him for the rest of the evening :D Even my 17 year old son could tell those 3 apart. The soft twat couldn't have picked 3 better drams for us to take his money off him but no-one could be arsed anymore:D

Ha ha ha! Brilliant. I’m not claiming to be a master taster, but anyone could get that right!
The laugh when he came out with his list was hilarious. I think the border collie that was with us would have had his money too.

I did taste a few new ones whilst I was up there.

Bunnahabhain was a new one on me. I've seen it loads in the supermarket but never tried it. I had a few slugs of that and enjoyed it so much Ive had one in the sales.

I got my pal the Distillers Edition Talisker which I love and I grabbed myself a Glenkinchie which is one of my faves.

You could add a mixer to those you're not keen on and try them that way. How about Babycham?

<runs>
Canada Dry goes nice with a scotch and makes a nice winter warmer if you give it 35 seconds in the magic-heat-machine with a slice of orange, whole star anise and stick of cinnamon. We call it cough medicine in this house.

Compared to Irish blends and malts which range from the bland (Jameson’s) to honeyed (Powers) to Bushmills (Angels dancing on my tongue), Scotch seems unnecessarily harsh and aggressive. I suppose I’m at the right age to try this sort of carry on 🙂
Had a Greenspot or Yellowspot yet? Amazing stuff

What’s with Johnny Walker it’s always in American films. But I tried a bottle of Johnny Walker Black last year, I was not all that keen on it. Much prefer Jamesons or monkey shoulder for blends. scotch single malts though, I do like the smoky peatey ones. i’m getting a bottle of Laphroig on Saturday.

What’s with Johnny Walker it’s always in American films. But I tried a bottle of Johnny Walker Black last year, I was not all that keen on it. Much prefer Jamesons or monkey shoulder for blends. scotch single malts though, I do like the smoky peatey ones. i’m getting a bottle of Laphroig on Saturday.
Jameson's is awful. Glen Moray is probably the best Whisky for the £20 mark.

Back
Top Bottom