Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Had a look through the drinks cabinet the other day to see what was needed for Christmas, so a whisky photo call wView attachment 357572as in order. :D

An Aldi Isley and Johnnie Walker 12 were family Christmas presents so missed out on the photo opportunity.

Superb. But I can trump it.

Me and my mate (looking very red after a few too many drams) at the Fidichside Inn, Craigellechie, Speyside, last month:

Fid1.jpg

I think we sampled most of those.

Talisker will trample everything... except Ardbeg. :)

You're not wrong, mate.

On our second visit to The Fiddichside; Brian insisted that I try the "most powerfully peated whisky on the planet - or off it!"

Ardberg Hypernova:

Hypernova.jpg

It's pretty much cask strength but the alcohol's not what you get first. It's the outrageous peat.

Then the alcohol kicks in and you end up drinking far more than you should.

Especially in the winter, on the bank of the Spey, with a fire roaring in the corner :)

Not sure I could fork out the cost of that when the Uigeadail can be had for less than 60 quid.

Would love to try it, mind. :)

I buy whiskies for the wife (don't like it myself) based on her flavour preferences (not peaty, not smokey) Speysiders and sherry casked do well. This year the following have been well received:

Glenrothes 18 year old, which only got re-released in November.
Deanston 18 year old, highland dram
Gordon and Macphail Discovery Miltonduff
Glengoyne Teapot Dram, difficult to find

Not sure I could fork out the cost of that when the Uigeadail can be had for less than 60 quid.

Would love to try it, mind. :)

It's certainly not an everyday dram, Griff.

More like one that 2 or 3 like-minded folk would get together for, after a temporary pause in political discourse.

Are you in London?

I buy whiskies for the wife (don't like it myself) based on her flavour preferences (not peaty, not smokey) Speysiders and sherry casked do well. This year the following have been well received:

Glenrothes 18 year old, which only got re-released in November.
Deanston 18 year old, highland dram
Gordon and Macphail Discovery Miltonduff
Glengoyne Teapot Dram, difficult to find
I do like peaty whiskys but more inclined towards Speyside if I’m honest.

I'm on a Bourbon detour at the moment and have a Woodford Reserve and a Buffalo Trace on the go. Plus an Amorik from Brittany. The Scottish stuff is being 'rested'.
I love Woodford reserve. American Eagle is also good.
Anyone tried Japanese whisky? I saw it was a thing but haven’t risked it.

Tried Japanese whisky years ago, buying a Nikka blend in Southern France and it was lovely.
I try to always have some, but by looking at that picture, I've drunk it all! :D

Try Nikka from the Barrell, a really nice blend and easily availible from Waitrose for less than £40.

I need to stock up that and some Arbelour.

Bought a peated Balvenie at Stansted a couple of years back and it was up there with my absolute favourite whiskies ever.

Think it was just a duty- free thing, but it was something else. Superb!

i took a chance on this. Matthew McConaughey had a hand in it somehow, and it's alright, alright, alright.
(it is actually very very good.)

16029641867294.png

i took a chance on this. Matthew McConaughey had a hand in it somehow, and it's alright, alright, alright.
(it is actually very very good.)

16029641867294.png

I like bourbon, but it is difficult to find any with much age to it. 10 years is about as old as I've seen, I have 25 years old single malts.

Back
Top Bottom