Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Looks nice. I'm not sure whisky continues to age once it's bottled but happy to stand corrected by someone on this thread.

I’m not sure myself. I’ve been told it doesn’t need to be stored in a specific way as wine does by a mate whose brother in law used to run a distillery. It’s sitting happily inside a dark cupboard at room temperature for now, it was in a garage for a few months too. Will still taste the same to me I expect.

It won’t age any more, in terms of developing flavour, but as long as it is unopened and kept dark n coolish it won’t lose flavour either.

Sounds nice from the tasting notes. A quick look around the web suggests others would agree and it’s worth maybe £80 these days.

I got given a bottle of single cask whisky from an old job about 2 years ago.

I’m not really a fan of whisky and rarely drink any spirits bar the occasional gin so I haven’t opened it in case it suddenly becomes a rare / renowned whisky and massively increases in price. I suppose I can always give it as a present for someone.

More than happy to help you out with this :thumbs:

Ageing stops the moment it comes out of the barrel and into a bottle.
There is some debate about how oxygenation affects flavour - 'old bottle effect' being a thing.

The SWA say even an opened bottle wont change its taste as long as it is stored somewhere dark, even after years. I call a bit of bollocks on that, although it still tastes pretty similar. I wouldn't want to risk trying it on a delicately flavoured bottle.

There is some debate about how oxygenation affects flavour - 'old bottle effect' being a thing.

The SWA say even an opened bottle wont change its taste as long as it is stored somewhere dark, even after years. I call a bit of bollocks on that, although it still tastes pretty similar. I wouldn't want to risk trying it on a delicately flavoured bottle.

An open bottle lasting years? Does not compute?

It won’t age any more, in terms of developing flavour, but as long as it is unopened and kept dark n coolish it won’t lose flavour either.

Sounds nice from the tasting notes. A quick look around the web suggests others would agree and it’s worth maybe £80 these days.
Thanks, that’s good to know. The value doesn’t mean much to me as not really sure how I’d sell it.

It will end up being a present I think, would be nice to be able to give someone a really good bottle. Got a round of 40th birthdays currently, so maybe it will be a 50th present.

I think I'm going to treat myself to a bottle a month. I did really well with the two I got in June, they aren't long finished, which would have been unheard of in the past.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is definitely my favourite so far, so I know the style of what I like

I think I'm going to treat myself to a bottle a month. I did really well with the two I got in June, they aren't long finished, which would have been unheard of in the past.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is definitely my favourite so far, so I know the style of what I like

Get a bottle of Ardbeg 10 at all costs. This has a well deserved rep of the king of entry level malts. One sip of its salty sea smoke and you’ll see why I banged this drum…

I don't know much about whiskey, but my parents loved jura. Not just the one in the original post but all of them. They didn't have them often tho, hard to come by then

I don't know much about whiskey, but my parents loved jura. Not just the one in the original post but all of them. They didn't have them often tho, hard to come by then
Really? I see Superstition regularly in Tesco, the standard is always there. A Jura was the most expensive bottle I ever bought, £105. Jura Air, one of the limited Elements series. Absolutely fucking delightful.

Really? I see Superstition regularly in Tesco, the standard is always there. A Jura was the most expensive bottle I ever bought, £105. Jura Air, one of the limited Elements series. Absolutely fucking delightful.

Well I live in the states, harder to find here

I should hope so at over a ton a bottle!

Balcones true blue cask strength, if you can find it. Stunning blue corn whisky, amazingly made by Americans.

A cheeky little monkey.

IMO bourbon and traditional whiskey are two different things. The 51% corn (but usually much more than that) makes it a different animal.

Came across this the other day. :D Respect to the guy in the dark blue t-shirt.

Get a bottle of Ardbeg 10 at all costs. This has a well deserved rep of the king of entry level malts. One sip of its salty sea smoke and you’ll see why I banged this drum…

I treated myself and bought this as well as the Glenmorangie. It certainly is very nice. I wish I still had some Laphroaig in to compare it side, but it seems similar, but smoother. At £37 (down from £47) that was quite an expensive bottle for me, but I guess it's a very relative term. :)

I treated myself and bought this as well as the Glenmorangie. It certainly is very nice. I wish I still had some Laphroaig in to compare it side, but it seems similar, but smoother. At £37 (down from £47) that was quite an expensive bottle for me, but I guess it's a very relative term. :)

Little bit less medicinal than Laphroaig I guess, for me it’s the saltiness that really stands out, I can close my eyes and taste it. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it as the nights draw in 😀

Back
Top Bottom