Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

I think Islay Mist might be for the export market. Its listed for 24 quid over on amazon, and there are probably better things you can get for that price.

Whats your budget? I feel we could easily rank whisky's by price range.

This month is zero, but I normally look for things in the £25 to £35 range and look for discounted ones.

Glen Moray is the best budget Scotch there is. The same price point as Jameson’s or Jack D but without the nasty taste of them. Beyond that it’s all down to taste. I like the peaty ones like Laphroaig as much as less complex ones like Glen Morangie. I’m easily pleased but others may prefer one over another.

Any recommendations for decent cheapish Irish whiskey? I had a bottle of Bushmills a few years back and enjoyed it, so something along those lines, not the expensive stuff.

Lovely bottle that one on the left, beautiful design.

I got a bottle of Talisker 10 year old. Will have to wait until I get over dry January and February.

On my last glass of this.

Stiuireadair-Hero-Bottle-1.png

I've really liked it and will try and get it again. Briney Islay goodness.

Oh wonderful. Not tried it, but I almost bought a bottle last week when I saw it as a special on Amazon, until my OH suggested I wouldn't be short of whisky this Xmas.

Been on offer in Morrison’s for a while; I’ve never had it, not one of the Islay distilleries I’m familiar with - much smoke to it?

About to crack my Xmas bottle of Ardbeg 10yr, probably my staple scotch

Cheers 🥃

I received my traditional bottle of Jameson’s off my in laws.
Have any of you tried Jameson’s Stout Edition?
I heard it’s on offer in the local supermarket.

As a sensibly priced one I've been drinking Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition which I got on offer at Tesco a couple of months back. It's a bit different but suits the season well, slightly Christmassy really as the name suggests. Liking this much better than I expected.

Sixteen quid for the Glenlivet American oak selection at Sainsbury's. I'm still finishing the single shot from last night.

American oak selection. I'm still finishing the single shot from last night.

Microdosing it made me realise the taste and smell kick off my PTSD. Cue shouty self soothing on the YouTube thread (I'm still trying to unravel half my life).

No more whisky for a while unless I'm in a therapeutic environment :D.

Been on offer in Morrison’s for a while; I’ve never had it, not one of the Islay distilleries I’m familiar with - much smoke to it?

About to crack my Xmas bottle of Ardbeg 10yr, probably my staple scotch

Cheers 🥃
It’s not at all like an Islay malt. It used to be my go to malt many years ago. But I think I had it too often and sickened myself of it, so I’ve not actually had it for about 30 years.

This is just such an epic dram. For a longtime the Lagavulin 16yr was my go to dram but these days I think the Ardbeg 10 edges it. It is liquid heaven.881D4358-FFD5-485C-9457-7E2BCC0D8DAE.jpeg

It’s not at all like an Islay malt. It used to be my go to malt many years ago. But I think I had it too often and sickened myself of it, so I’ve not actually had it for about 30 years.

I feel vindicated for not grabbing one now, as I love the traditional Islay malts. I bought a Bowmore 12 recently because it was on sale, which was underwhelming

As a sensibly priced one I've been drinking Tamnavulin Sherry Cask Edition which I got on offer at Tesco a couple of months back. It's a bit different but suits the season well, slightly Christmassy really as the name suggests. Liking this much better than I expected.

I was bought a bottle of Tamnavulin SCE early last yr for "child-minding" a friend's cat. It's a very nice "sitting & thinking" whisky.
It got added to my rather small and random collection of single malt Scotches (part of my larger whisk(e)y collection) on the booze shelf -
A Bowmore 12, an Aerstone Sea Cask, a Laphroaig 10, a Cardhu 15, & a Singleton 15.
I also like a couple of blended Scotches, but Ballantines is the only one I keep a bottle of, for guests who haven't proven worthy (yet) of a single malt!
As for Irish whiskies, I keep The Jameson, & a Tyrconnell single malt.
Bourbon-wise, Heaven Hill & Four Roses Single Cask are on the drinks shelf, along with Lidl's "Western Gold 5 yr-aged". Bulleit Rye is there too. Very nice, & has bite.

I am drinking Bunnahabhain (and Talisker) this year. I am not usually keen on the Islay malts, preferring the cleaner, more astringent and fruitier Speyside malts (would kill for an 18 year old Macallan), but the Bunnahabhain has a nice freshness about it. Not really any sort of connoisseur and I don't drink much of anything at all...but yep, a decent malt, after a cold and windy allotment session is absolutely the ticket. I certainly wouldn't have bought an 18 year old malt for myself...but as a giftie from the grateful owners of a beautiful Georgian rectory (I do the garden), I have been more than happy to accept.

Thread needs a bump. My in laws have now clocked if they buy me Laphroaig birthday and Xmas I'll be a happy man, which is nice.

I'm now working somewhere I can get Amazon parcels signed for which is both good and dangerous. Just ordered a bottle of Glenmorangie as it's was fairly cheap and it always reminds me of my Dad. I'll be going back through this thread next month...

I got given a bottle of single cask whisky from an old job about 2 years ago.

I’m not really a fan of whisky and rarely drink any spirits bar the occasional gin so I haven’t opened it in case it suddenly becomes a rare / renowned whisky and massively increases in price. I suppose I can always give it as a present for someone.

It’s this one anyway

I got given a bottle of single cask whisky from an old job about 2 years ago.

I’m not really a fan of whisky and rarely drink any spirits bar the occasional gin so I haven’t opened it in case it suddenly becomes a rare / renowned whisky and massively increases in price. I suppose I can always give it as a present for someone.

It’s this one anyway

Looks nice. I'm not sure whisky continues to age once it's bottled but happy to stand corrected by someone on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom