Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Totally bought this on a random whim as it was near the checkout in Aldi. Its really nice, although further reading says its probably just blended in Japan. £25.

4088600422312_0_XL.jpg

Kilchoman is rather good, but go for current year release, rather than blended years.

Buy two bottles if you can, it is a new distillery, so release only a little each year. They need to keep product back for the big money 20+ years releases.

I bought two of their five year old, drank on, kept one, paid £40.00, £138.00 now.

Kilchoman is rather good, but go for current year release, rather than blended years.

Buy two bottles if you can, it is a new distillery, so release only a little each year. They need to keep product back for the big money 20+ years releases.

I bought two of their five year old, drank on, kept one, paid £40.00, £138.00 now.

I understand why they'd keep in back in the cask for older releases, but why do bottles go up so much in value? I thought that once bottled the flavour of whisky remained mostly stable?

Been ages since I've had any, but had a real hankering tonight. It's a few days from payday for me though so was just going to get an own brand one, but spotted this for just £20. Nothing amazing, but very drinkable. Of course all the Xmas booze deals will start soon so I'll get myself something nicer then and I always get a Laphroaig Quarter Cask Xmas and Birthdays now. :)

aerstone_10yo_seacask_ps.jpg

Drinking some Raasay special release. Not a big whisky drinker but this is quite nice if sipped. One large glass is seeing me through the evening as gulping would be horrific.

View attachment 323873
My pal from Skye brought me one of those down recently. It is a very very nice touch. So nice I have moved it to the back of the cupboard for special lone evenings.

My daughter and her boyfriend dropped this one on me for spending 3 days re-plastering their kitchen when they "Took a few tiles off" in their new flat. I've taken their scrapers away now and insisted on prior notice of any further DIY attempts. It was very kind of them mind and it is as they say

A nice touch....

gmgob.non51.jpg

Last edited:
My pal from Skye brought me one of those down recently. It is a very very nice touch. So nice I have moved it to the back of the cupboard for special lone evenings.

My daughter and her boyfriends dropped this one on me for spending 3 days re-plastering their kitchen when they "Took a few tiles off" in their new flat. I've taken their scrapers away now and insisted on prior notice of any further DIY attempts. It was very kind of them mind and it is as they say

A nice touch....

View attachment 350217

I've always had a soft spot for regular Glen Morangie. My dad wasn't a big whisky drinker, but if he did it was what he drank. Found a recently opened bottle after he passed last year which I drank and remembered him with. Will always have a place in my heart.

Been ages since I've had any, but had a real hankering tonight. It's a few days from payday for me though so was just going to get an own brand one, but spotted this for just £20. Nothing amazing, but very drinkable. Of course all the Xmas booze deals will start soon so I'll get myself something nicer then and I always get a Laphroaig Quarter Cask Xmas and Birthdays now. :)

View attachment 350216
I like the Quarter Cask even though Laphroaig's not something I can drink a lot of and its definitely not everyone's cup of tea amongst my mates who like a dram. I ended up with 4 bottles of the QC and 2 of the 10 year old for my 50th birthday party. It must have been on offer that New Year in the supermarkets. I bet I've had maybe half a bottle of that haul in 4 years, mostly showing folk who don't usually drink scotch how it really does have a range of subtle flavours. Subtle being dragged to the extreme with Laphroaig :)

I recently grabbed a Talisker 10 in the Amazon Prime sale for 28 quid or thereabouts which I have just noticed a fucking big clear glass dent in. It appears my wife has been treating herself to a slug of it for "Winter warmers". Hot ginger ale, orange slice studded with cloves, spoon full of honey.

I've told her we've got blended whiskey for that sort of shit but she declares she prefers the smokeyness of my new malt. Cheeky fucking mare. I only opened it to sniff it :D

I've always had a soft spot for regular Glen Morangie. My dad wasn't a big whisky drinker, but if he did it was what he drank. Found a recently opened bottle after he passed last year which I drank and remembered him with. Will always have a place in my heart.
It's a lovely distillery mate in a beautiful location. I'm not one for going to distilleries but I'd driven past it so many times I decided to go in one day a few years back. I was skint and legless by the time I'd left the shop. ;)

If you have that as a memory of your old man chief you should go and see where his dram was made. It's absolutely stunning.

I've been dabbling in bourbon recently but picked up a bottle of Breton single malt (Armorik iirc) in the Summer which has been an easy drinker, even in the heat.

Now tempted to try something Japanese.

View attachment 350216
Yeah that's decent. I like the land cask - nothing that complex, but really peaty if you like that. It's on the Waitrose rotation for discounts at £20 and I've picked it up a couple of times.

Never buy whisky from Waitrose at full price!

Yeah that's decent. I like the land cask - nothing that complex, but really peaty if you like that. It's on the Waitrose rotation for discounts at £20 and I've picked it up a couple of times.

Never buy whisky from Waitrose at full price!
Is that a 10 yr old as well LBJ?

It's a lovely distillery mate in a beautiful location. I'm not one for going to distilleries but I'd driven past it so many times I decided to go in one day a few years back. I was skint and legless by the time I'd left the shop. ;)

If you have that as a memory of your old man chief you should go and see where his dram was made. It's absolutely stunning.

That would be great. I did a multi day canoe trip along the spey a few years ago. The smell on parts of the river was something special.

I have three part bottles of Port Ellen which Mrs Sas brought me back from Islay. If the bottles were unopened, they would be £700.00, £800.00 and £900.00 today. Thirty quid or so when bought.
Very nice. I tasted that in a hotel in Ballachulish one evening at my friends expense it was was about £20 a dram IIRC.

That would be great. I did a multi day canoe trip along the spey a few years ago. The smell on parts of the river was something special.
Aye, great paddling around there too. It's in the heart of the Dornoch Firth. Some great sea kayaking to be had around Portmahomack and Inver. One of my favourite parts of Scotland. T'is where I fell in love with my wife.

I've been dabbling in bourbon recently but picked up a bottle of Breton single malt (Armorik iirc) in the Summer which has been an easy drinker, even in the heat.

Now tempted to try something Japanese.
Any recommendations on the Japanese front?

Doesn't have to taste like anything I already like.

Sub £35 ideally.

Cracking into a Xmas gift of Johnny Walker Green Label, which was unavailable in the UK until a few years ago.

Probably the best blended whisky I've ever had.

You can easily taste the individual singles it's blended from, Talisker being the standout.

Excellent.

That sounds nice. I might even be tempted in February.

Already drunk to much of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask I got for Xmas. What's really good though is the in laws now know what I like and I'll reliably get a bottle twice a year.

Had a look through the drinks cabinet the other day to see what was needed for Christmas, so a whisky photo call w20221224-152841-1.jpgas in order. :D

An Aldi Islay and Johnnie Walker 12 were family Christmas presents so missed out on the photo opportunity.

Last edited:
I had eight bottles of whisky on my shelf last night - down to seven now. Three standards (fiddic, morangie, an Islam), a Glenlivet Nadurra, the Raasay mentioned above, a Cairn Mor (Fettercairn) and a Hakushu. Yet to sample the latter

Back
Top Bottom