Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Oh sugar! Bought my partner bottle of Laphroaig for Xmas thinking whoop when it was on offer at Sainsbury’s BUT now I see this thread I recall it’s a Macallan he talks wistfully about!

Ah well - he will I appreciate it & I hope like it!

A fine bottle for a present, sure would please me.

I had a couple of Old Pulteneys last night, quite nice. In a Glencairn glass no less.

I'd prefer a heavy tumbler but the cat gets those for her water, she's quite particular.

Was after a bottle of Bunnahabain but it's quite pricy at the moment. One of my favourite whisky's though.

Need to try some more Irish ones, had the usual bushmills and Jameson's, and they're ok. Any recommendations?

Not sure if it's a duty free bottling only, but the peated Balvenie I bought last year was one of the nicest whiskies I've had in a while.

Also keep an eye on whiskybroker.co.uk for some straight from the cask bottlings at 'reasonable' prices. :)

Usually have 12-15 assorted bottles in the drinks cabinet.

I had a couple of Old Pulteneys last night, quite nice. In a Glencairn glass no less.

I'd prefer a heavy tumbler but the cat gets those for her water, she's quite particular.

Was after a bottle of Bunnahabain but it's quite pricy at the moment. One of my favourite whisky's though.

Need to try some more Irish ones, had the usual bushmills and Jameson's, and they're ok. Any recommendations?

Get rid of the cat, she’s messing wi yer dram

I saw Bunnahabain for about 35£ in Tesco today.

(I bought a couple of bottles of rum :) )

Always have a bottle of the Talisker 10 year old in the cabinet. Totally an acquired taste, but when you acquire that taste, it's fantastic. :)

I have a bottle of Talisker 18 year old that I haven't got around to opening.

A man not pleased with a bottle of Laphroaig is a man who has given up on life

That said, Macallan aren’t known for peated whisky afaik, and Laphroaig is about as barnstormingly peaty as they come. Hopefully he’ll be grateful as he savours the 30 second aftertaste of smoke and bog and thank you for introducing him to it :)

I’m hoping for a bottle of Ardbeg this Christmas

Argh - sadly he doesn’t like it! Lesson learnt that my partner lusts after a Macallan! I did once buy him a mini bottle for his stocking hence thinking I had got it right with this. He will keep & see if it grows on him.

Argh - sadly he doesn’t like it! Lesson learnt that my partner lusts after a Macallan! I did once buy him a mini bottle for his stocking hence thinking I had got it right with this. He will keep & see if it grows on him.

Shame!

(on him, the peasant)

If I can be of any further assistance, particularly with “regifting”, please don’t hesitate to contact me

Coming to the end of my Talisker Skye. It's been a nice drop, but think I slightly prefered the Jura I bought my OH for Xmas.

I'm quite pleased with myself in that we've both got a bit left. In the past it would be gone in no time. I think buying a proper measure has definitely helped to get a perspective of how much I drink.

So whisky lovers. Is it just Xmas you get all the great deals or do you see more crop up from time to time? We are of to Scotland later this month, I'd like to go to a distillary and get one there, but sadly there isn't one that close, so may be in the bizzare situation of buying a bottle to take with us.

Everyone should have a bottle of Laphroaig to try, at least once.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Frustratingly the only places I can see it cheap are Waitrose, which is miles from me and Amazon who are a pain the arse as you have to wait in all day to give a signature. Will keep an eye out in future though.

I'm really quite a fan of Chivas Regal... as popular blends go it's pretty solid (they use a few top single malts in it I think) and it's regularly discounted at supermarkets and airports. Got a litre last year for a pretty epic price.

Also really enjoyed all the Irish whiskies I've tried in the past year or so. Any tips on good ones to try folks?

So with Storm Dennis hitting hard this weekend, I recon one of us will be in for most of tomorrow, so have ordered some of the Laphroig for our trip to Scotland. I see the £23 bottle is actually blended with something else to make it cheaper, I'm sure it's still very nice, but wanted to try the complex version.

Was looking on Amazon and they are all discounted, the standard 10 year old is £28 and the quarter cask is £29. The quarter cask is 48%. So not quite as strong as the cask strength stuff, I tried in a pub once, but packs a fair punch. :eek:

Took a punt on an Aldi blend as well, at £14 it's not particularly cheap for a blend, similar price to Bells, but thought if Aldi are charging that much for it, then it's probably ok. Luckily I was right, very drinkable and didn't feel the need to add water, like I do normally to blended whisky.

Premuim-Blended-Whiskey-A.jpg

Was looking on Amazon and they are all discounted, the standard 10 year old is £28 and the quarter cask is £29. The quarter cask is 48%. So not quite as strong as the cask strength stuff, I tried in a pub once, but packs a fair punch. :eek:

I'd go for the 10 year old personally. Tried most of the NAS releases from them over the years and haven't repeat bought any, unlike the 10 year old.

Another recommendation at that price point is Bowmore 12 year old, a lovely whisky that you can get on Amazon for £27 at the moment.

Also if you're ordering from Amazon, try Benriach Curiositas, a bit dear at £44, but it's just sòoooooo moorish it's unreal. A quite unusual tasting peated Speyside.

Going to pour myself a glass of Lagavulin shortly. :)

I'd go for the 10 year old personally. Tried most of the NAS releases from them over the years and haven't repeat bought any, unlike the 10 year old.

Another recommendation at that price point is Bowmore 12 year old, a lovely whisky that you can get on Amazon for £27 at the moment.

Also if you're ordering from Amazon, try Benriach Curiositas, a bit dear at £44, but it's just sòoooooo moorish it's unreal. A quite unusual tasting peated Speyside.

Going to pour myself a glass of Lagavulin shortly. :)

It's already ordered, but thanks. With the Aldi blend, the last drops of our Jura and Talisker and this, that's probably my whisky buying done for some time, but I'll certainly be back for recommendations in future. :)

Well thank you for the recommendation for the Laphroaig. It's really rather wonderful, so much flavour going on. My only slight regret is I didn't take a different bottle with me to Scotland as well. On the second glass it isn't quite so pronounced, so would be good to swap. Actually spotted Penderyn in Morrisons for £22 on the way up, may have to grab a bottle when home. Remember enjoying a glass in a pub in Wales one night after a day's climbing.

Back
Top Bottom