Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

Took a punt on an Aldi blend as well, at £14 it's not particularly cheap for a blend, similar price to Bells, but thought if Aldi are charging that much for it, then it's probably ok. Luckily I was right, very drinkable and didn't feel the need to add water, like I do normally to blended whisky.

View attachment 198570
Didn't Aldi get some prize for its wine and spirits quality?

Took a punt on an Aldi blend as well, at £14 it's not particularly cheap for a blend, similar price to Bells, but thought if Aldi are charging that much for it, then it's probably ok. Luckily I was right, very drinkable and didn't feel the need to add water, like I do normally to blended whisky.

View attachment 198570
Didn't Aldi get some prize for its wine and spirits quality?

I don't tend to buy much under 16yo, Islay only, so £80+ is the norm. I paid £115 lat year for a 19yo single cask Bruichladdich.

That was a few years back, more since then. :)

large.jpg

Today I bought my partner a bottle of Macallan -not sure what as it’s stored in the car till the weekend as it’s a gift. It will make up for the Laphroaig I got him by mistake at Xmas which he initially hated but grew to like a bit.

You do grow to like certain whiskies. First time I tried Talisker I just thought ugh! wtf?.

Couldn't be without a bottle these days which reminds me, I need a bottle of Talisker 10. :)

That's on my list to try next time I've got more money to spend on a bottle. Although it was a very unexpected, but nice surprise to get to drink another bottle of Laphroaig.

Love the thread! Just started whisky drinking recently, and making the occasional foray to the whisky bars around where I live. Master of malt has been invaluable in aiding my understanding of the facets of the 'hobby'.

I'm a little hamstrung because I am overseas, which skews the prices up, but it also means I can get other foreign whisky's stuff relatively easy.

Budget Choice
Talisker Storm
Dewar 12 years
Islay Mist (a blend from Laphroaig)

Main Tipple of Choice
Laphroaig 10 year
Dalmore 10 year
Jura 12 year
Macallan 12 year

Please keep the recommendations coming.

Love the thread! Just started whisky drinking recently, and making the occasional foray to the whisky bars around where I live. Master of malt has been invaluable in aiding my understanding of the facets of the 'hobby'.

I'm a little hamstrung because I am overseas, which skews the prices up, but it also means I can get other foreign whisky's stuff relatively easy.

Budget Choice
Talisker Storm
Dewar 12 years
Islay Mist (a blend from Laphroaig)

Main Tipple of Choice
Laphroaig 10 year
Dalmore 10 year
Jura 12 year
Macallan 12 year

Please keep the recommendations coming.

I'll certainly keep reading them and will look out for Islay Mist as a budget choice. I'm quite skint at the moment and still have plenty in stock, but would like to slowly build a "collection". Seems a bit wrong but as mentioned Amazon have great deals, I just need to commit to a day I know I'll be in as they insist on a signature. Maybe I need to have a word with my boss about work delivery. Although it may be frowned upon at a children's home. :hmm:

Anyway the last I bought was Aberlour, I prefer the Laphroaig, but it's certainly very pleasent. My old man was blown away by it, he's doesn't drink whisky often, but people always buy him Glenmorangie as a safe bet for something he likes. So that may be an Xmas present sorted.

I'll certainly keep reading them and will look out for Islay Mist as a budget choice. I'm quite skint at the moment and still have plenty in stock, but would like to slowly build a "collection".
I think Islay Mist might be for the export market. Its listed for 24 quid over on amazon, and there are probably better things you can get for that price.

Whats your budget? I feel we could easily rank whisky's by price range.

Back
Top Bottom