Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

at least refrain from engaging in ‘my form of transportation enthusiasm is better than yours’ pissing contests.
There seems to have been a terrible misunderstanding because my initial comment was simply examining things within a single transportation enthusiasm category; the category of moderately fast vehicles operating without occupant steering input. Unfortunately the result of this innocent intervention seems to have been to cause you to spin off into wild transport tribalism and upset the equilibrium of an otherwise peaceful thread.

Millbrook is not a race circuit, it's the UK's main research facility for the automotive industry.
Bloke I work with "likes his cars" and likes "driving them".

He's also colour blind, and, partly because of that, has done a lot of driving at the Road Research Lab in Crowthorne, Berks.

I drive to places when I need to.

There seems to have been a terrible misunderstanding because my initial comment was simply examining things within a single transportation enthusiasm category; the category of moderately fast vehicles operating without occupant steering input. Unfortunately the result of this innocent intervention seems to have been to cause you to spin off into wild transport tribalism and upset the equilibrium of an otherwise peaceful thread.
I fear you’re now engaging in an exercise of goalpost relocation. At any rate, your initial post in this current exchange is the only one that had indulged in any kind of divisive tribalism.

Having been a Brooklands a couple of times, it is mind boggling to try to imagine those guys doing it for the first time, in the first such track in the world, in cars that were glorified land rockets with wheels.

If I had an old car I would still do the historic steep ramp challenge. Not quite the same, but still fun I’m sure.
No. I could not take my Alfa up the hill.
As for both worlds (steam trains and cars), This should be my mainline ride to the Goodwood Revival in a few days :thumbs::)

1662652400410.png

View attachment 341875
View attachment 341876

Very disappointing of course to see many people so disrespectfully just going about their business pretty much as normal on this day.
My job is no respecter of things like this or bank holidays, Easter, Christmas, new year etc. And there are many jobs the same; carers, cleaners, nurses, doctors, blue light workers etc.

I am a 45 minute walk from the train, 3 minute walk from the bus, bus won't make it in time for any role. I spent 9 months walking 45 minutes through the pissing rain to get a train, 15min train journey then 15 minute walk, to then be thankfully able to take a shower at work and start for 7:30am, before most of my children were awake. I could then get back in time for them all be able to be home already. Got a motorbike and this was a 15 minute journey. Public transport is a load of arse here.

Addendum:

Everyone’s fine btw. I was on my own.

The tough bit was waiting for an hour for the old bill to turn up, in 38 degrees with no shade. Suleyman (the blue shirt who hit me) and his wife and sister, were very kind, and broke out chilled water by the side of the motorway. Me and Kris are having dinner at their gaff on Tuesday, at their insistence. ❤️
Good news, could have all gone a bit midnight express

Good news, could have all gone a bit midnight express

There’s still time. We’re here for another week and the driving standard is absolute dogshit. Probably the worst I’ve ever experienced and I’ve driven in India!

Drivers just do what they want here. Speed limits might as well not exist, hard shoulders are used as an extra lane, and tail-gating is mandatory. Overtaking takes place at any time regardless of the road layout and if a car is coming the other way that vehicle is expected to take evasive action. Roundabouts are a free-for-all, and traffic light compliance seems optional.

It’s like everyone’s pissed. Absolutely atrocious.

They’ve got pedestrian crossings on motorways here! No lights or control, just a sign 50 yards before, then some stripes on the road across 6 lanes of traffic. Nobody stops at those either.

They also have direction signs for towns after the turning you should have taken :D

Back
Top Bottom