Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where are you on the transport network?

Apart from a clumsy German who nearly fell on me from the top bunk, it's bloody lovely so far! Been given a menu to tick what I want for breakfast, there's a cute little cupboard with a sink in, a nice looking restaurant car, and it's not unbearably hot and stuffy like lots of sleepers seem to be.

E2A: high quality breakfast as well!

IMG_20220905_193620.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from a clumsy German who nearly fell on my from the top bunk, it's bloody lovely so far! Been given a menu to tick what I want for breakfast, there's a cute little cupboard with a sink in, a nice looking restaurant car, and it's not unbearably hot and stuffy like lots of sleepers seem to be.View attachment 341176
If you can somehow, you must absolutely watch the Inside No. 9 episode ’La Couchette’ tonight :D

The conductor telling me to come to his cabin in five minutes and collect my underwear for the night disappointingly turned out just to be a set of sheets and a pillowcase.
Out of curiosity, are you travelling alone or with others? And if travelling alone, presumably you are sharing with same-gender fellow travellers?

Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 23.33.38.jpgScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 23.33.55.jpgScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 23.34.53.jpgScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 23.35.07.jpg

Trent & Mersey Canal, then Coventry Canal.

A look at a canal map makes it obvious the English Midlands around here have long been at the heart of britain's transport networks.

Now manifested in the form of the fabled Amazon warehouses and distribution centres, sadly mainly just connected to motorways.

2nd pic Burton on Trent?
Yes. When I was taking the picture, somehow Marston's pedigree had become pedigree chum in my mind and my brain decided it smelt of dog food just there. Of course Burton on Trent is famous for brewing and that's what it actually smelt of. Maybe dog food and beer are closer than you think though.

Yes. When I was taking the picture, somehow Marston's pedigree had become pedigree chum in my mind and my brain decided it smelt of dog food just there. Of course Burton on Trent is famous for brewing and that's what it actually smelt of. Maybe dog food and beer are closer than you think though.

My family is from there, and a cousin worked for Marston's, we occasionally got free beer. Visiting as a kid you could smell the malt in the streets. You could also smell the Marmite factory.

Pedigree chum, and brewing smelling like dog food, don't say that in Burton! I don't think beer and dog food are close olfactory wise.

Well, an intercity 125 train built in the 1970s can go faster than 120mph without a steering wheel at all, in fact so can a steam train, so I don't see why that is impressive in any way.
Then again cars capable of far faster speeds than 125 mph have been available for decades, so the Intercity 125 is impressing nobody either. This would-be jibe would have played much better if we were in France or Germany, but alas, we’re not.

Then again cars capable of far faster speeds than 125 mph have been available for decades, so the Intercity 125 is impressing nobody either. This would-be jibe would have played much better if we were in France or Germany, but alas, we’re not.
I wasn't asking anyone to be impressed by the intercity 125. Simply pointing out some reasons why A380 going round in circles (aka going nowhere) in a car park at 120mph with no hands on the steering wheel is not enough to impress me. And we all know that's what he was trying to do.

I wasn't asking anyone to be impressed by the intercity 125. Simply pointing out some reasons why A380 going round in circles (aka going nowhere) in a car park at 120mph with no hands on the steering wheel is not enough to impress me. And we all know that's what he was trying to do.
More to the point, how does going round and round in circles in a car park actually constitute being on the transport network?

I call for an immediate thread ban for the apostate.

The Mallard steam loco was capable of 126 Mph in 1938.

Well, whereas I haven’t partaken in the experience A380 enjoyed, I suspect I myself would find it far more impressive than riding on a dated train at a speed that would be risible in the Continent, even if it takes you from one place to a different one as opposed to completing a circular track.

Not that it should be a competition, of course. Some people like putting a car through its paces going round in circles in a track, others get their thrills from riding a steam locomotive heritage train on a 15-mile linear track that takes them nowhere useful. In fact, most rational people would probably enjoy both, or at least refrain from engaging in ‘my form of transportation enthusiasm is better than yours’ pissing contests.

Well, whereas I haven’t partaken in the experience A380 enjoyed, I suspect I myself would find it far more impressive than riding on a dated train at a speed that would be risible in the Continent, even if it takes you from one place to a different one as opposed to completing a circular track.

Not that it should be a competition, of course. Some people like putting a car through its paces going round in circles in a track, others get their thrills from riding a steam locomotive heritage train on a 15-mile linear track that takes them nowhere useful. In fact, most rational people would probably enjoy both, or at least refrain from engaging in ‘my form of transportation enthusiasm is better than yours’ pissing contests.
Millbrook is not a race circuit, it's the UK's main research facility for the automotive industry.

The Mallard steam loco was capable of 126 Mph in 1938.
Indeed, and an incredible piece of engineering such locomotives were too. Only I’d thought everyone over the age of eight would have abandoned all such ‘my xxx goes faster than yours’ type discussions.

Indeed, and an incredible piece of engineering such locomotives were too. Only I’d thought everyone over the age of eight would have abandoned all such ‘my xxx goes faster than yours’ type discussions.
Indeed, And in fact i've been faster than it a car (also trains and the Shanghai Maglev) but actually don't get that much joy from that, prefer little aeroplanes where the issue is not going too slow... The issue at Millbrook was the banked high speed circuit meant the driver could take his hands off the wheel because the camber means that from a physics point of view the car behaves as if it is traveling on a straight line...

Indeed, And in fact i've been faster than it a car (also trains and the Shanghai Maglev) but actually don't get that much joy prefer little aeroplanes where the issue is not going too slow... The issue at Millbrook was the banked high speed circuit meant the driver could take his hands off the wheel because the camber means that from a physics point of view the car behaves as if it is traveling on a straight line...
Having been a Brooklands a couple of times, it is mind boggling to try to imagine those guys doing it for the first time, in the first such track in the world, in cars that were glorified land rockets with wheels.

If I had an old car I would still do the historic steep ramp challenge. Not quite the same, but still fun I’m sure.

Back
Top Bottom