Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WhatsApp New Terms of Service (Jan/Feb 2021)

This is really fucking annoying because since the pandemic WhatsApp has been increasingly used by my work for messaging purposes. I can see it being very difficult to persuade people to shift away from it.

Doesn’t apply here thanks to GDPR
I already got the app update which asks me to consent and says if I don't I won't be able to use the service come February 8th.

Facebook is already in breach of GDPR anyway, a little more won't bother them. Their tactic has been to have their lawyers produce justifications that can keep any case tied up in courts indefinitely, as with most US tech firms. They can't operate as a business under GDPR so that's really the only option for them.

And UK FB users data is now held / processed in Calafornia. I'm sure it's all fine and there will be nothing to worry about, ever.

I've only used it on my work phone, so it's not my problem. My employer can worry about whatever as I don't use it personally.

This is really fucking annoying because since the pandemic WhatsApp has been increasingly used by my work for messaging purposes. I can see it being very difficult to persuade people to shift away from it.
23 out of 25 people in my office are in a WhatsApp group. Fuck em. They can contact me on teams or email.

Just uninstall it. If they need WhatsApp for work tell them to buy you a phone and sim.

I've looked at getting rid of Facebook recently - not a very high priority - and all of those 'login with Facebook' things are quite a barrier. You can't fully untangle your Spotify account, for example. You can get a new password but if you signed up with FB, your username is garbage and your email can't be changed.

This was always inevitable when facebook took over. And it feels pretty sinister as they will basically be using the phone as a data collection device. Whatsapp has become so ubiquitous - finally cementing those friends across the world who had been using various chat apps.

I suspect I won't be cutting it off for a while as I just can't be arsed with the admin and with the 'current situation' I'm not really able to. e.g my nan's old people's home have recently set her up with it. I can't see my mum to set her phone up etc. I think it's particularly shitty for them to pick this time to do it knowing that lots of people are relying on it.

So with that in mind I'm thinking about mitigation, I've turned off the apps access to my location data (as well as everything else). It insists on access to my contacts - I suppose they've already got those, it's essential to use the service and it's invaluable to their 'social graph'.

The thing about Telegram that I distrust is that they made some sort of unspecified deal with the Russian government in order to keep running there. Also it is full of Nazis but I guess everywhere is full of Nazis now.
Full of Nazis? I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean they number amongst its users?

I don’t use any public functions. I have various chats - for particular reasons - running with people I know directly in real life. It’s got very good granular permissions, so you don’t need to interact with anyone who isn’t in your phone book.

I can’t see that WhatsApp has requested location information. Using an iPhone. I was going to turn it off otherwise.

Full of Nazis? I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean they number amongst its users?
It's a favoured network for use by the far right. That doesn't impinge directly on other users, but it might have an effect on how the platform is surveilled by governments. The Russian restrictions and subsequent deal were ostensibly due to "terrorist" use, though I suspect that was more of an excuse to exert control over a system that was widely used by Russian opposition - Telegram made the deal though which is the most important thing.

everyone should use FaceTime. If you haven’t got an iPhone, well, that’s just the price you play for privacy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom