Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WhatsApp lowers age limit to 13 in UK

There is obviously a market for safe phones.
Amazed no one is tapping it.

All you'd need is for any software to be installed requiring approval via a parental phone.

There are loads of them around, no one seems to get them though that I can see. It's easier just to give the sprog an old banger from the tech box.

It's got to be pretty tough for kids whose parents are taking a firm line on this stuff. The trouble is that the corporates who run these sites clearly don't take the responsibility of operating them seriously - Facebook has long allegedly had a minimum age limit of 13, which is honoured more in the breach than the observance, which makes it hard for parents to deal with the "WHY can't I be on Facebook, all my friends are...?" question. And there is a constant stream of reports to suggest that the algorithms on which these places operate don't go anywhere NEAR far enough to protect children from harmful content and individuals, nor to provide effective and swift action when bad things do happen.

There is obviously a market for safe phones.
Amazed no one is tapping it.

All you'd need is for any software to be installed requiring approval via a parental phone.
That's already available. We use it for my gd tablet.

My gd's cousin is 9!!!! she has an iphone with whatsapp - which she says she only communicates with her contacts, so she seems to have some understanding. But through her, my granddaughter is getting exposed to a lot more she needs to be seeing at her age, and wanting an iphone. My gd is 8 years old.

Last edited:
And the thing is they do get left out, MiniFire's mates on Snapchat don't use WA so they don't communicate outside school so she misses out on their fun and games.

It's got to be pretty tough for kids whose parents are taking a firm line on this stuff. The trouble is that the corporates who run these sites clearly don't take the responsibility of operating them seriously - Facebook has long allegedly had a minimum age limit of 13, which is honoured more in the breach than the observance, which makes it hard for parents to deal with the "WHY can't I be on Facebook, all my friends are...?" question. And there is a constant stream of reports to suggest that the algorithms on which these places operate don't go anywhere NEAR far enough to protect children from harmful content and individuals, nor to provide effective and swift action when bad things do happen.
To be fair, Facebook is no longer the issue. Kids don't use it anymore.

We should be teaching digital safety to kids NOW, not waiting until they're adults and having to teach it to THEIR kids in the light of the lessons they had to learn through bitter experience.
We do and have done for a while - from EY up.

WhatsApp is the platform of choice for comms/bullying amongst the primary aged ime. tiktok and snapchat are around but not as prevalent - I guess they take off more in KS3. Smartphones and online bullying starts (ime) from Y3 (7/8yo), hots up by Y5 (9/10) and by Y6 (10/11), most have got smartphones and a significant amount bring phones to school.

Even if whatsapp is set to contacts only, the amount of strife we see as a result of bullying on whatsapp, people being kicked out of groups etc is ridiculous.

Recently we had a mini-epidemic of kids posting videos of fights online. Creating the videos seemed to be the only pretext for the fights happening in the first place. The worst was multiple kids all attacking one child.

When I was a kid there were bullies and nasty pieces of work but you could just walk away from them. They didn't have this entire system for dragging everyone else down to the same level. And the troubled kids didn't have this massive pressure to escalate, this hellish loop of reinforcement.

And the phones are everywhere, and always. Maybe an adult or a peer can get through to a kid, speak to them as a known and trusted person, get them to think about something long enough to make a better decision about one thing on one day. But then suddenly the adult or the friend is somewhere else but the phone is still there. Even most adults, given the choice between thinking long and hard about something they need to figure out or going straight to the thing that does the thinking for you, often make the wrong call. Teenagers don't stand a chance. And fucking hell, don't these tech companies know it.

Oh come on. Technology will always advance. And it's the parents job, not the kids, to ensure that the correct settings are put onto their phones. If you can't be arsed as a parent to do this then yes, you're allowing your offspring to unlimitee exposure to All Kinds Of Shit.

And WhatsApp isn't even really part of the problem.

You want programs where can send dodgy stuff that deletes after 30 seconds - it's out there, but once seen, can't be unseen.

You want apps that invade your privacy - it's out there. Tik Tok, Instagram, Kik, Telegram... There are so many.

And even if your offspring don't have a phone or access to this, you be as sure as shit that the "naughtiest kid in the class" TM does. And will be sharing their phone screen with your kids in the playground.

Tl:dr Technology moves fast. Responsible parents move faster.

Last edited:
If only the parents refused to buy their kids smartphones until they were older. Like, imagine, if all of them refused to do it! But no, everyone caves in to peer pressure, what other parents are doing... The few brave parents who refuse to do it are hated by their kids and viewed as freaks. It's fucked up. They're only trying to protect their kids.

Just like they can't drive before a certain age. Smartphones should be the same.

Yeah that's me and it's an ongoing game of see how long I can hold out. Son's got a Nokia brick so he can call and text, I've told him the earliest he's getting a smartphone is 16 but obviously every few weeks it flares up when he tells me 'everyone else has one', so I tell him he can have any phone he wants when he's paying his own bill. So now he wants a job. Sadly he's only 11 so it'll be a while 🤣

We do have a decent computer for homework etc and he plays Fortnite and FIFA with his mates on a PS5, so he's not exactly in the stone age. But yeah, I am shamelessly that parent and I can't see what could budge me tbh.

But we'll see.

There is a twist on this though. When my son plays Fortnite when I have contact I can literally see and hear all conversations that are happening and can pull him up on stuff in real time. Which in a sense is better than just ‘don’t talk to strangers’ and sending us on our way as happened when I was his age.
Playing online games like this can be way way worse. Ted once had some Russian guy join their group when they were playing. When he heard the voice he literally turned it off because he didn't know who that was.

Playing online games like this can be way way worse. Ted once had some Russian guy join their group when they were playing. When he heard the voice he literally turned it off because he didn't know who that was.
You can do settings so they can only talk to friends or friends of friends. Of course that depends on who they make as ‘friends’.
I monitor it like fuck though without him even knowing I am. Just permanent questioning in conversation.
I’d rather that than it all be secret else he be in trouble. That’s the wrong way in my view.

You can do settings so they can only talk to friends or friends of friends. Of course that depends on who they make as ‘friends’.
I monitor it like fuck though without him even knowing I am. Just permanent questioning in conversation.
I’d rather that than it all be secret else he be in trouble. That’s the wrong way in my view.
Again, it's about parenting moving faster.

I wasn't fast enough that time because I didn't really understand that the Xbox could do that. But I learned. And that's what parents have to do.

WhatsApp is the least of our offsprings problems these days. And that's not to belittle it. The biggest problem to securing your child's internet security is sadly... other kids whose parents don't pay the same attention.

You can do your best, but if they aren't, then your kid is going to see that other kids screen.

Again, it's about parenting moving faster.

I wasn't fast enough that time because I didn't really understand that the Xbox could do that. But I learned. And that's what parents have to do.

WhatsApp is the least of our offsprings problems these days. And that's not to belittle it. The biggest problem to securing your child's internet security is sadly... other kids whose parents don't pay the same attention.

You can do your best, but if they aren't, then your kid is going to see that other kids screen.
Fair point. I know my ex is on the ball because he calls me all the time and all I hear is, “who are you talking to” :D

Yes technology puts your kids at greater risk yada yada but it also puts abusers of greater risk of being caught. Not like the days when they had to go to Amsterdam for VHS anymore. People are watching.

Despite an apparent 'no phones' policy at my kid's secondary school, they do seem to be sometimes (often - depending on how many supply teachers or TAs are trying to supervise them that day) be instructed to do Dr Frost or Seneca during the school day. No kid is taking a laptop to school but they can all pull phones out of their pockets.
It is really hard to hold out when the school expectation is that all kids have a smartphone.

ETA - and not just learning apps or websites, all their timetables and homework diaries are on various apps too.

Despite an apparent 'no phones' policy at my kid's secondary school, they do seem to be sometimes (often - depending on how many supply teachers or TAs are trying to supervise them that day) be instructed to do Dr Frost or Seneca during the school day. No kid is taking a laptop to school but they can all pull phones out of their pockets.
It is really hard to hold out when the school expectation is that all kids have a smartphone.

ETA - and not just learning apps or websites, all their timetables and homework diaries are on various apps too.

That's shit. I've only seen primary (not as a teacher), but there they had ipads and classroom PCs. I also thought low cost chromebooks were being used for this.

Back
Top Bottom