Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WhatsApp New Terms of Service (Jan/Feb 2021)

But I'm not sure how widely known about or used it is. My sense is that it's niche atm.

Looks good. I've set up a test account on my laptop if anyone wants to test it. I'll leave it open on my laptop if anyone wants to play

throbbingangel

Last edited:
This is good to see. Easy to find in settings, no faffing or messing or staged withdrawal where you deactivate and then wait 30 or 60 days for it to die, unless you crack or forget and inadvertently log back in, at which point you have to start again if you want to close your account.

1613949092818.png

I've had a wander around a few public rooms - useful.

Stuck it on my phone now - my username is above in post #121. I've created a private room called U75 if anyone is trying this out. I made it not public to limit the spam/irrelevancies. I can Add People so I assume you need to message me to access it? If this proves to be a PITA or I'm inundated/too slow at responding I'll switch it to public.

Screenshot_20210222-153202_Element.jpg

On another note, I've found using Signal as a WhatsApp replacement and my SMS client too confuddling, so I have enabled Google's Messages app again for SMS and am keeping Signal for other messaging. I never used WhatsApp as my SMS client so I don't find this an issue.

Anyone else find this mixing of messages confusing? I mainly want to know if I'm going to get charged because I am inadvertently sending an MMS and find the separation useful for that.

Last edited:
On another note, I've found using Signal as a WhatsApp replacement and my SMS client too confuddling, so I have enabled Google's Messages app again for SMS and am keeping Signal for other messaging. I never used WhatsApp as my SMS client so I don't find this an issue.

Anyone else find this mixing of messages confusing? I mainly want to know if I'm going to get charged because I am inadvertently sending an MMS and find the separation useful for that.

Caused me some problems. Turns out my boss had installed Signal, but wasn't checking its notifications, I thought I was just using SMS. He was mildly annoyed at me for not keeping him informed till we worked out what had happened.

I do like the way I can mute SMS conversations, not seen that in another SMS app, although I'm sure others do.

TL;DR - is this the case in the UK atm?
I haven't seen any banners or anything but I do have my phone set up to autoupdate stuff

Yes. For now.

Just today or yesterday however they said they want to make it ‘easier’ to share data so expect the UK to ripp it up sooner rather than later.

You can use kik also. It is a good option and also provides security and there are multiple modded apps available too for kik which are fully loaded with features too.

Sounds like a new member advertising kik, kinda like all the twitter bots with pretty ladies as their twitter bio pics that do the same thing.

You my friend, can fuck off.

Well, as people can’t make their mind up, are happy to just use what they have or want a particular type of privacy policy. I now have 6 messaging apps on my phone in order to please everyone. Including WhatsApp. 🤦‍♂️

Apple iMessage/SMS/FaceTime
WhatsApp
Messenger
Signal
Telegram
Discord

Well, as people can’t make their mind up, are happy to just use what they have or want a particular type of privacy policy. I now have 6 messaging apps on my phone in order to please everyone. Including WhatsApp. 🤦‍♂️

Apple iMessage/SMS/FaceTime
WhatsApp
Messenger
Signal
Telegram
Discord
Total pain in the arse.

Thanks for that article. It nudged me to (reluctantly) agree to their T & Cs as I rely on WhatsApp a lot for family and other groups.
I haven't seen this pop-up or banner or whatever it is.

I am in the UK and am assuming that GDPR means that all this hasn't happened here, yet.

I've tried Telegram and Signal and most people just aren't on them in my circles and aren't interested in switching either.
I am in a managers WA group for work and I run a Lottery thing through WA. None of these 20 or so people are on Signal (I've deleted Telegram) so I think I will struggle to bring people with me as they nearly all use Facebook too.

I am in the UK and am assuming that GDPR means that all this hasn't happened here, yet.

I've tried Telegram and Signal and most people just aren't on them in my circles and aren't interested in switching either.
I am in a managers WA group for work and I run a Lottery thing through WA. None of these 20 or so people are on Signal (I've deleted Telegram) so I think I will struggle to bring people with me as they nearly all use Facebook too.
That's strange that you haven't had the alert - I was getting it for weeks, maybe even months?

Haven't tried the other messaging apps but also suspect that very few people I know use them.

Ditto on all counts.

Given the above, is it ethical (or legal?) to force new T&Cs?
Trouble is, these things are always so fucking long and dull that no one reads them.

I imagine that the first set of T&C's we all accepted, regardless of when that was, will have included a clause about future updates and no right to complaint etc. This is the trade off for free stuff, innit.

July 29, 2021
Paragon’s product will also likely get spyware critics and surveillance experts alike rubbernecking: It claims to give police the power to remotely break into encrypted instant messaging communications, whether that’s WhatsApp, Signal, Facebook Messenger or Gmail, the industry sources said. One other spyware industry executive said it also promises to get longer-lasting access to a device, even when it’s rebooted.

As I can't find another thread about alternative messengers (that I thought existed :confused: ) I'll bump this'un

Beeper https://www.beeper.com/
Is anyone on this multi-messenger thing? It kinda reminds me of of Trillian in it's heyday.
I've reached the top of the waitlist and wanted opinions from users before I give it access to multiple messenger's contents/log ins etc

It can supposedly handle all of these:
1690210519188.png
and seems to be available on pretty much any device you'd think of using it on:
1690210608363.png

So - any Beepers out there Urbz?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom